Poll: Would you trade Andy for draft picks and start Finley?
This poll is closed.
Yes
78.05%
32 78.05%
No
21.95%
9 21.95%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ryan Finley's pocket awareness
I'm ready to trade Andy Dalton due to his lack of pocket awareness and being scared. He is not a confident leader. He will drop back and stand in one spot every time. With a bad line you gotta move step up do something. I think he's so scared he freezes. When the pocket collapses and his first look isnt there he has 3 options. #1 He instantly tucks the ball and looks down at the ground. #2 He takes his eyes off downfield huckers down and tip toes away from the pressure bracing for the hit. #3 He escapes the pocket after doing options #1 and #2 only to be able to throw it away.. now if you watch this awful line with Ryan Finley in there it doesn't look near as bad as what Andy makes it to be. Our o line sucks, but I put blame on Andy too for not giving them any help. The pocket has to be absolutely perfect so Andy can stand in one spot and throw? If you look at all the good qb's they all move in the pocket. Ryan Finley knows how to move in the pocket that's all that matter at this point. We all know it's time to move on from Andy either way and we need all the draft picks we can get at this point for a new o line. I think it would be a good move to trade Dalton and to see what we have in Finley so we can decide whether or not we need to draft a qb. We're 0-4. Playoffs are highly unlikely at this point especially with a below average qb behind a putrid offensive line. Trading Andy Dalton could be our best option at this point. Start Finley and see what we got.

FINLEY'S PRESEASON HIGHLIGHTS
https://youtu.be/UjVAtzaI0b8
https://youtu.be/QbAzIU2mlC0
Reply/Quote
Trading Dalton requires a trading partner. Dalton has good yardage stats so far this season because he's had to throw the ball 5,000 times, but otherwise he has not looked good. Say whatever you will about it not being his fault entirely, but who's watching this team right now and chomping at the bit to get a hold of Dalton?

Start Dalton until they have been eliminated from playoff contention (which, mercifully, could happen as early as this month). Once they're firmly out of the playoffs, give Finley and Dolegala the rest of the season to see what you have.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:51 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I'm ready to trade Andy Dalton due to his lack of pocket awareness and being scared. He is not a confident leader. He will drop back and stand in one spot every time. With a bad line you gotta move step up do something. I think he's so scared he freezes. When the pocket collapses and his first look isnt there he has 3 options. #1 He instantly tucks the ball and looks down at the ground. #2 He takes his eyes off downfield huckers down and tip toes away from the pressure bracing for the hit. #3 He escapes the pocket after doing options #1 and #2 only to be able to throw it away.. now if you watch this awful line with Ryan Finley in there it doesn't look near as bad as what Andy makes it to be. Our o line sucks, but I put blame on Andy too for not giving them any help. The pocket has to be absolutely perfect so Andy can stand in one spot and throw? If you look at all the good qb's they all move in the pocket. Ryan Finley knows how to move in the pocket that's all that matter at this point. We all know it's time to move on from Andy either way and we need all the draft picks we can get at this point for a new o line. I think it would be a good move to trade Dalton and to see what we have in Finley so we can decide whether or not we need to draft a qb. We're 0-4. Playoffs are highly unlikely at this point especially with a below average qb behind a putrid offensive line. Trading Andy Dalton could be our best option at this point. Start Finley and see what we got.

how to destroy a QB before they even get started...

make them a starter when you have no OL....
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: how to destroy a QB before they even get started...

make them a starter when you have no OL....
Dalton doesn't move. Finley does.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Trading Dalton requires a trading partner.  Dalton has good yardage stats so far this season because he's had to throw the ball 5,000 times, but otherwise he has not looked good.  Say whatever you will about it not being his fault entirely, but who's watching this team right now and chomping at the bit to get a hold of Dalton?

Start Dalton until they have been eliminated from playoff contention (which, mercifully, could happen as early as this month).  Once they're firmly out of the playoffs, give Finley and Dolegala the rest of the season to see what you have.

Not a good time to trade him when he is sucking it up that is for sure.

Still would like to see Finley some time later this year if Dalton continues to panic.

This was always my biggest criticism of Dalton over the years, the pocket awareness and I have been a supporter of his.

Think Dalton has been ruined by shitty Line play and he cannot get it out of his head.

The best QB's like Brady step into the pocket regardless and chuck it without fear.

Saw a little of this with Finley this Preseason and Hopkins is the one bright spot on the Line.

Hopkins at the very least usually gives you a bit of a pocket.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 01:00 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Dalton doesn't move. Finley does.

where was he suppose to go?
Reply/Quote
Finley has functioning mobility he's no Cam Watson Wilson. He doesnt have Dalton's quick release. So he like Dalton would be a train wreck behind this line as well. Unless we find an athlete at the QB position no QB currently on roster would do good behind this OLine. Give it up Bengal fans. Enjoy Shula 2.0
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Trading Dalton requires a trading partner.  Dalton has good yardage stats so far this season because he's had to throw the ball 5,000 times, but otherwise he has not looked good.  Say whatever you will about it not being his fault entirely, but who's watching this team right now and chomping at the bit to get a hold of Dalton?

Start Dalton until they have been eliminated from playoff contention (which, mercifully, could happen as early as this month).  Once they're firmly out of the playoffs, give Finley and Dolegala the rest of the season to see what you have.

This. 
Reply/Quote
Now I’m not saying Andy Dalton is the long term solution in Cincinnati at quarterback — because he probably isn’t — but before putting Ryan Finley in a game this fact must be taken into account: Ryan Finley has never played a single snap against a first team NFL defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 01:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Now I’m not saying Andy Dalton is the long term solution in Cincinnati at quarterback — because he probably isn’t — but before putting Ryan Finley in a game this fact must be taken into account:  Ryan Finley has never played a single snap against a first team NFL defense.

Gotta start somewhere. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote:  who's watching this team right now and chomping at the bit to get a hold of Dalton?

I believe there were 11 back up QBs who started this weekend.

Dalton is better than Flacco and Denver took him as their starter.

There are lots of team that would love to have Andy.  He is actually cheap for a starting QB.
Reply/Quote
Finley would make this awful line look better. You can't just stand there like a statue and expect the protection to be absolutley perfect in order for you to complete a pass.
Reply/Quote
Dalton still has this year and next year under a fairly inexpensive contract. I do not know what a trade would accrue but I would take a couple 2nd rounders for him and move on. If AJ comes back strong and remains healthy, I would move him to a contender. I don't think Green should be extended after this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Anyone you put behind this offensive line will get killed. That’s basic football knowledge.

Andy played pro bowl level football with a competent line. I’m for moving him and several other players to start the rebuild but this idea that he is somehow the problem makes me question the football iq of some.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:51 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I'm ready to trade Andy Dalton due to his lack of pocket awareness and being scared. He is not a confident leader. He will drop back and stand in one spot every time. With a bad line you gotta move step up do something. I think he's so scared he freezes. When the pocket collapses and his first look isnt there he has 3 options. #1 He instantly tucks the ball and looks down at the ground. #2 He takes his eyes off downfield huckers down and tip toes away from the pressure bracing for the hit. #3 He escapes the pocket after doing options #1 and #2 only to be able to throw it away.. now if you watch this awful line with Ryan Finley in there it doesn't look near as bad as what Andy makes it to be. Our o line sucks, but I put blame on Andy too for not giving them any help. The pocket has to be absolutely perfect so Andy can stand in one spot and throw? If you look at all the good qb's they all move in the pocket. Ryan Finley knows how to move in the pocket that's all that matter at this point. We all know it's time to move on from Andy either way and we need all the draft picks we can get at this point for a new o line. I think it would be a good move to trade Dalton and to see what we have in Finley so we can decide whether or not we need to draft a qb. We're 0-4. Playoffs are highly unlikely at this point especially with a below average qb behind a putrid offensive line. Trading Andy Dalton could be our best option at this point. Start Finley and see what we got.

Help me finalize my research. How many starting defenses has Findley played against in the NFL? How many times has he been pressured and or sacked 23 times on one game?

Answer those questions and I will tell you my answer.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I believe there were 11 back up QBs who started this weekend.

Dalton is better than Flacco and Denver took him as their starter.

There are lots of team that would love to have Andy.  He is actually cheap for a starting QB.

Name the teams who would take Dalton as a long term starter for 2019 and moving forward? I can only think of 2 maybes and those are stretches due to probably having high draft picks in 2020: Denver & Miami.

Literally every other team in the entire NFL either has a starter who is better, younger and just as good, younger with a higher ceiling, or a high draft pick waiting in the wings that is developing and already in the roster (Haskins, for example).

Just because the player is a backup doesn't mean Dalton is automatically better, or wanted, or that the starter won't be back and is better than Dalton. Do you think the Jags would take Dalton over Minshew? Hell fire no way. The Bucs would more than likely keep Winston over Dalton as well. Saints? No way they would take Dalton over Bridgewater. And on and on.

What teams would want Andy Dalton as a long term solution at QB right now and moving forward? Next to none.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 06:42 PM)Cicero Wrote: Anyone you put behind this offensive line will get killed. That’s basic football knowledge.

Andy played pro bowl level football with a competent line. I’m for moving him and several other players to start the rebuild but this idea that he is somehow the problem makes me question the football iq of some.

:andy: You sir are welcomed as one of the few non dillusional people on the board. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:48 PM)fred toast Wrote: There are lots of team that would love to have Andy.  He is actually cheap for a starting QB.
Please name these "lots of teams" who would love to have Andy" ?
Reply/Quote
Yes I would trade Dalton for picks along with pretty much anyone else on the roster if the compensation made sense. This does not mean that I am all in on Finley and it also doesn’t mean that I like the odds of a successful rebuild led by the Brown family and Tobin but they won’t fire themselves so no good option really exists here.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 06:42 PM)Cicero Wrote: Anyone you put behind this offensive line will get killed. That’s basic football knowledge.

Aw man... Did you see him step up in the pocket during those preseason games though?

You're right. People are goofy. He'd be stepping up right into Tuitt...

At this point I kinda hope they do throw him in to get killed... Just to shut people up.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote