Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S Ricardo Allen in for visit
Allen was released by the Falcons as a salary cap victim paid a visit to PBS on Tues. He is a 7 year veteran and a 6 year starter with 11 career interceptions. Last season he had two interceptions, five passes defended and 25 tackles.

He is 4 time team captain and last season's Walter Peyton Man of the Year candidate for the Falcons.

Possible depth piece to replace Shawn Williams at S

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He'd be a good #3 safety and he also plays some slot at CB, he's in my mind a good FA target as it fills a need in the secondary and he should come at a decent price, which doesn't take away from our ability to address other areas of need.
Reply/Quote
Yea I’d like this signing too mostly cuz he is a great replacement over Shawn Williams
Reply/Quote
One thing that was mentioned as a red flag is that Anarumo had him at hs and college and played him at corner. There is a fear he would be played there and get burnt
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 01:52 PM)pally Wrote: Allen was released by the Falcons as a salary cap victim paid a visit to PBS on Tues.  He is a 7 year veteran and a 6 year starter with 11 career interceptions.  Last season he had two interceptions, five passes defended and 25 tackles.

He is 4 time team captain and last season's Walter Peyton Man of the Year candidate for the Falcons.

Possible depth piece to replace Shawn Williams at S

I like this guy, I have seen him play a lot of Falcons games. Good player, bring him into the fold. Cool

I like Ricardo Allen over Shawn.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 02:59 PM)Bernards watch Wrote: One thing that was mentioned as a red flag is that Anarumo had him at hs and college and played him at corner. There is a fear he would be played there and get burnt

Versatility is nice. I like the option to play a big nickel look with 3 safeties on the field and let Allen be the slot guy occasionally if teams are gashing us with 3 wide running attacks.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 05:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: Versatility is nice. I like the option to play a big nickel look with 3 safeties on the field and let Allen be the slot guy occasionally if teams are gashing us with 3 wide running attacks.

Agree, I find it to be a plus that he has played Corner. One thing Lou actually is good at is working with the Secondary.
Reply/Quote
Reads & sounds like it would be a good signing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He is similar to Mackensie Alexander , who I don’t want to see go.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like this guy, I have seen him play a lot of Falcons games. Good player, bring him into the fold. Cool

I like Ricardo Allen over Shawn.

Ricardo Allen would be a quality depth add, but I feel a lot of people devalue what Shawn Williams contributed.
Kinda makes me think he's the Jermaine Gresham of the defense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 11:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Ricardo Allen would be a quality depth add, but I feel a lot of people devalue what Shawn Williams contributed.

Shawn definitely isn't a bad player, don't get me wrong. He is actually one of the few players in the Secondary besides Bates
that can get interceptions. Just saying if we were moving on from Shawn, Ricardo Allen makes a lot of sense as he also can 
get interceptions. Phillips can get ints but he has problems staying healthy.
Reply/Quote
I think I saw it put best on twitter. He would be our new Chris Crocker. If he's here for cheap as a backup safety and an emergency CB it's a good fit. Seems like a good leader as well.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
I would hope that this is a depth signing. Aside from missing 4 games (presumably from injury), aside from 2 INTs, his stats were rather weak. If he would sign for at or near vet minimum, then sure, bring him on. I just wouldn't be expecting a Shawn Williams type of presence out there, when he does see the field. This guy is going to get trucked if he tries to stick his head into stopping the run..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 11:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Ricardo Allen would be a quality depth add, but I feel a lot of people devalue what Shawn Williams contributed.

I'm bfine and I approve this message. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'll pass.

Reply/Quote

Williams only played 86 defensive snaps in 13 games last year.

He is a free agent and based on how little he played I don't expect us to re-sign him.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 09:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Williams only played 86 defensive snaps in 13 games last year.

He is a free agent and based on how little he played I don't expect us to re-sign him.

I don't mean last year, I mean his Bengals tenure. He was better than I've seen some give him credit for.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 10:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't mean last year, I mean his Bengals tenure. He was better than I've seen some give him credit for.

I agree with that.

In fact he is a great example of how extreme fans can be.  He made a great play picking Roethlisberger to seal a win against the Steelers in his second season and he was everyone's hero.  He was a "playmaker" and the Bengals coaches were stupid for not starting him.  Then he becomes a starter and played pretty well.  But within a couple of years he was "overpaid" and needed to be cut.

He was never a star, but he was never a scrub either.  I predict he will be starting for some other team next year.  The SS/LB hybrid player is becoming very popular across the league.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather spend money on areas of dire need. There are quite a few, safety is not among them.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 06:22 PM)hollodero Wrote: I'd rather spend money on areas of dire need. There are quite a few, safety is not among them.

Unless they plan on having two rostered safeties it’s an area of need as they have no backups at the position. Versatility of a quality third safety allows teams to play a big nickel formation that allows for better run support than nickel but better coverage than base. If it’s not Allen I’d guess we will still sign another safety and draft one before all’s said and done.

This does highlight an issue I think people are forgetting, we have to field a full roster. We only have two or three corners on the roster along with two safeties. We will sign depth guys who will eat up part of the cap, that’s why when people run their math in their head for FA they always miss pretty badly. The draft gives you some filler but you need some veteran back ups or else your absolutely screwed in the event of injuries.
Reply/Quote