Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Bully no Burrow draft
Big surprise that I, the bus driver of the Joe Burrow Fan Club, would take a trade, but Jax was doing what we all feared Miami would do: Something stupid. They switched first rounders (1 for 9) gave #20 overall, and their first round pick for 2021, which could end up being #1 overall (Trevor Lawrence?) judging by the way people are leaving Jax and they are giving up their draft equity.

Round 1 Pick 9 (JAX): Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon (A+): Not my fav prospect, but prototype size and strength. Good mobility for such a big guy.

Round 1 Pick 20 (JAX): Patrick Queen, ILB, LSU (A-): Speedy enforcer in the middle of the defense.

Round 2 Pick 1: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama (A): A steal here...outstanding Day 1 starter.

Round 3 Pick 1: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame (B+): After the combine, should have shot way up. He is the big, versatile WR we need to move the chains while Ross takes the top off the defense. Strong and reliable with surprising speed.

Round 4 Pick 1: Jeremy Chinn, FS/SS, Southern Illinois (B-): Small school freak athlete. Love his playmaking ability. I called this the "bully draft". This guy, with Queen, and Diggs are forming a bully squad at the back end of the defense.

Round 5 Pick 1: Tanner Muse, SS/FS, Clemson ©: C? This guy is an amazing athlete that made plays at Safety for the #1 defense in the NCAA. He is going to play cover LB for the Bengals. Love his passion, football IQ, and is a steal here.

Round 6 Pick 1: Kendrick Rogers, WR, Texas A&M (A+): Huge upside that is very raw coming from a pathetic offense with horrible QB play. He could be a diamond in the rough. Quality depth.

Round 7 Pick 1: Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia (A+): Every mock will have him in the 7th round until he isn't there.

I know some folks will be pissed that I didn't get the G or DE/DT, but I look at the team as it is constructed right now, and the only way they move MJ or Miller out of the OG spots is by an elite FA. Ditto the tackle spots. There simply weren't quality prospects after Rd 2 that were worth the high pick.

I also look at the DE and DT spots on the team already and could see them as potentially much more impactful with better coverage behind them.

I also have two first round picks next year, and the Jax 2021 pick could be a HUGE pick.

I hated to lose Burrow, but in the end, this was too good to pass up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting strategy. If I thought Jax would be so bad next year and their pick could be as high as 1 overall I’d take ot at 9. Play Finley next year and tank for Trevor. Our pick would also be high and if we missed out on Trevor there’s always Justin.

Of course this is all moot because burrow will be in stripes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 01:38 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Interesting strategy.  If I thought Jax would be so bad next year and their pick could be as high as 1 overall I’d take ot at 9.  Play Finley next year and tank for Trevor.  Our pick would also be high and if we missed out on Trevor there’s always Justin.

Imagine being Dunlap or Atkins and signing an extension only to play on teams who end up with the worst overall record for two years in a row.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 02:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Imagine being Dunlap or Atkins and signing an extension only to play on teams who end up with the worst overall record for two years in a row.

I would look to move them too if I was in full tank mode. But as I said, it’s a moot point as burrow will be a bengal in about a month and a half

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 01:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Big surprise that I, the bus driver of the Joe Burrow Fan Club, would take a trade, but Jax was doing what we all feared Miami would do:  Something stupid.   They switched first rounders (1 for 9) gave #20 overall, and their first round pick for 2021, which could end up being #1 overall (Trevor Lawrence?) judging by the way people are leaving Jax and they are giving up their draft equity.

Round 1 Pick 9 (JAX): Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon (A+):  Not my fav prospect, but prototype size and strength.  Good mobility for such a big guy.  

Round 1 Pick 20 (JAX): Patrick Queen, ILB, LSU (A-):  Speedy enforcer in the middle of the defense.

Round 2 Pick 1: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama (A):  A steal here...outstanding Day 1 starter.

Round 3 Pick 1: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame (B+):  After the combine, should have shot way up.  He is the big, versatile WR we need to move the chains while Ross takes the top off the defense.  Strong and reliable with surprising speed.

Round 4 Pick 1: Jeremy Chinn, FS/SS, Southern Illinois (B-):  Small school freak athlete.  Love his playmaking ability.  I called this the "bully draft".  This guy, with Queen, and Diggs are forming a bully squad at the back end of the defense.  

Round 5 Pick 1: Tanner Muse, SS/FS, Clemson ©:  C?  This guy is an amazing athlete that made plays at Safety for the #1 defense in the NCAA.  He is going to play cover LB for the Bengals.  Love his passion, football IQ, and is a steal here.

Round 6 Pick 1: Kendrick Rogers, WR, Texas A&M (A+):  Huge upside that is very raw coming from a pathetic offense with horrible QB play.  He could be a diamond in the rough.  Quality depth.

Round 7 Pick 1: Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia (A+):  Every mock will have him in the 7th round until he isn't there.  

I know some folks will be pissed that I didn't get the G or DE/DT, but I look at the team as it is constructed right now, and the only way they move MJ or Miller out of the OG spots is by an elite FA.  Ditto the tackle spots.  There simply weren't quality prospects after Rd 2 that were worth the high pick.

I also look at the DE and DT spots on the team already and could see them as potentially much more impactful with better coverage behind them.

I also have two first round picks next year, and the Jax 2021 pick could be a HUGE pick.  

I hated to lose Burrow, but in the end, this was too good to pass up.

Almost get behind this,
Grab Hurts and we have a good draft! Keep Dalton and use him as a mid season trade and this gives us a chance to get Hurts going.

I know it seems crazy, but people keep passing on Hurts, I really think once he settles down more and becomes more patient on his WR's he will be very good.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 01:38 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Interesting strategy.  If I thought Jax would be so bad next year and their pick could be as high as 1 overall I’d take ot at 9.  Play Finley next year and tank for Trevor.  Our pick would also be high and if we missed out on Trevor there’s always Justin.

This was why I posted this mock.  I wanted to make an open discussion.  Would that be enough to trade out of the #1 overall pick?  It is essentially #1 overall for numbers #9, #20, and the first pick for Jax in 2021.  

The fact that it is Jax giving up the trade equity makes me think the Bengals should actually consider such a deal.  With the turmoil on their team with guys wanting to play elsewhere and the division they play in being pretty tough (Colts will be better, Texans and Titans are playoff teams...) that first pick in 2021 is likely at the worst a top 5 pick.  

Should Herbert not pan out for them, they would be able to go after Lawrence or Fields.  They would have TWO first round picks next year as well.  

As much as I want Burrow, this might actually be enough to get me to move off the #1 overall.  If this scenario was offered to the Bengals, would you want them to take it?
Reply/Quote
Don't mind the picks, but that is nowhere near enough to slide down to #9.

My other worry (even though he was there in your draft) is that we are looking at the 5th ranked QB at #9. I think there's a strong chance that Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love are gone in the top 6.
Reply/Quote
Ever heard the analogy about a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush?

Many a gambler has gone broke, despite being up huge at some point.

Sorry, I just can't get on board with the idea of trading out of the 1st pick.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would seriously consider this draft since I love the picks after Herbert. However, when it came time to pull the trigger on it, I would back out. Especially since I think we can nab Queen in the 2nd round anyway.
Reply/Quote
Just not enough value for the #1 and the only real surefire day 1 starting QB in this draft going there. If posters arent biting on my funny post about getting Miami's 3 firsts and 2 seconds then they arent going go take this one either.
Reply/Quote
1. It's going to take more than that.
2. If the idea is to take Lawrence next year why are you drafting Herbert this year???
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 10:31 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Don't mind the picks, but that is nowhere near enough to slide down to #9.

My other worry  (even though he was there in your draft) is that we are looking at the 5th ranked QB at #9.  I think there's a strong chance that Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love are gone in the top 6.

I think by the so-called point system, it is more than fair compensation.  And the real ace is that Jax would likely suck in 2020 and that next year's first rounder would likely be a very high pick.  I really doubt if all those are gone, but if so, Dalton plays out his contract (unless you get a 2nd round pick for him) and go after Lawrence or Fields next year.  If all those QBs were gone, that means one of the outstanding LBs or OTs will be there.  

I really want Burrow, but I am just trying to gauge what people's "price" would be to give him up.  I honestly think for the #9 and #20 pick this year and the #1 pick of Jax next year, I would trade out.  Not saying someone will give us that, but if Jax did, and where their 2021 pick would likely land....It would be hard for me to pass up.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 11:57 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I would seriously consider this draft since I love the picks after Herbert. However, when it came time to pull the trigger on it, I would back out. Especially since I think we can nab Queen in the 2nd round anyway.

I don't see any way that guy gets by Baltimore...All the more reason to get him at #20  Wink.  But I appreciate your feedback
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 01:05 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: 1. It's going to take more than that.
2. If the idea is to take Lawrence next year why are you drafting Herbert this year???

Back up plan...if Herbert pans out, you could trade the early pick next year for another haul of picks....If you aren't happy with Herbert, you can go after Lawrence.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 02:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Back up plan...if Herbert pans out, you could trade the early pick next year for another haul of picks....If you aren't happy with Herbert, you can go after Lawrence.  

I'm only using a 1 on Burrow or Tua.  Otherwise start Finley and take Lawrence or Fields next year.
Reply/Quote
I’m not opposed to the trade down idea but if I don’t pick burrow I am not taking a QB in this class. Herbert is way too inconsistent. If we trade down we should ignore QB, build up the rest of the team and tank for a QB next year.

I also would want a little more to consider moving all the way to 9. Definitely a throw in 2nd rounder somewhere and either another first or a young promising player.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ever heard the analogy about a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush?

This.

Don’t overthink it. Burrow fell into our laps, and it should be one of easiest decisions the team ever makes.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ever heard the analogy about a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush?

Me either, just to many ifs and butts

How can we guarantee Herbert is still gonna be there at 9 ? If we "rebuild the team" and end up 7-9 next season there's absolutely no guarantee whoever is picking first is gonna trade out of it and let us get Lawrence. What if we finish 5-11 and draft 7th next season and Fields gets taken 6th ?

What if _______________ QB gets his leg broken in 5 places in the championship game next season ? I'm just scratching the what ifs surface.

Just to risky to roll the dice
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 01:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think by the so-called point system, it is more than fair compensation.  And the real ace is that Jax would likely suck in 2020 and that next year's first rounder would likely be a very high pick.  I really doubt if all those are gone, but if so, Dalton plays out his contract (unless you get a 2nd round pick for him) and go after Lawrence or Fields next year.  If all those QBs were gone, that means one of the outstanding LBs or OTs will be there.  

I really want Burrow, but I am just trying to gauge what people's "price" would be to give him up.  I honestly think for the #9 and #20 pick this year and the #1 pick of Jax next year, I would trade out.  Not saying someone will give us that, but if Jax did, and where their 2021 pick would likely land....It would be hard for me to pass up.  

The only offer I would accept would be Miami's 3 firsts this year.
Reply/Quote
I usually agree with your takes on pretty much everything Racer but I have to be honest. I dislike this Mock.

Think Herbert is overrated, he panics when the pocket breaks down just like Dalton. He is an invert, not a leader.

Queen scares me, he was a late round pick before the CFP's. He played well in the Playoffs but that is not enough
production for me to use a first rounder on him or even a 2nd rounder. I would take Murray or Baun over Queen.

I guess I like the Mock a lot after these first two picks. The first two just depress me.
Reply/Quote