Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock 1.0 2022
Your score is: 48800 (GRADE: A)

First of what will surely be many this season (as always): Remember, you can only chose who is there and the only really unrealistic pick I took was Alec Pierce. No way is he there at end of Rd 3. Bet he goes late Rd 1.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 31: Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson (A): Bengals very happy he was there...A bit undisciplined, but a tough leader.

Round 2 Pick 31: Jordan Battle, FS/SS, Alabama (A-): Like Booth, needs to be a bit more disciplined, but a leader and great football IQ

Round 3 Pick 31: Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati (A+): Never going to be there...considered taking him in Rd 2, which I also don't see him being there.

Round 4 Pick 31: D.J. Dale, DT, Alabama (A-): Perfect fit as rotational 3T. Solid in run game, could pay huge dividends.

Round 5 Pick 31: Nick Cross, FS/SS, Maryland (A+): Aggressive safety with versatility to play single deep, or a number of different options.

Round 6 Pick 30: Cole Turner, TE, Nevada (A+): Long, athletic, and fast TE from Nevada. If he played a higher level of competition, would have been drafted earlier.

Round 7 Pick 5: Tyler Badie, RB, Missouri (A+): Tough runner with big-time breakaway speed. Had something like 45 runs over 10 yards.

Round 7 Pick 31: Damarion Williams, CB, Houston (A+): Athletic DB with a lot of upside.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I enjoy reading the mocks from posters I respect, thank you.

Where are your letter grades coming from? Please don't tell me you graded yourself. LMAO
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 10:11 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I enjoy reading the mocks from posters I respect, thank you.

Where are your letter grades coming from? Please don't tell me you graded yourself.  LMAO

Looks like a First-Pick sim with the letter grades and number score.
Reply/Quote
Jordan Battle is returning to Alabama for his Senior season announced mid way through January... He is still in the First-Pick sims?

Edit: I believe DJ Dale is returning too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I've seen mocks with Cross going 2/3rd (and would be more than happy taking him there) so I'm not sure he would make it to 5th but would be ecstatic if he was and was our pick.
Reply/Quote
Yea I did a first-pick the other day and was coming across names I was unfamiliar with, they are behind this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 10:11 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I enjoy reading the mocks from posters I respect, thank you.

Where are your letter grades coming from? Please don't tell me you graded yourself.  LMAO

First-pick.com grades your selections....Some of my fave drafts get poor rankings.  You can have a lot of fun accepting about 20 trade backs and building up 30 plus picks if you want.  Not realistic, but the computer gives you crazy high scores.  I don't care about the scores at all.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 01:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Jordan Battle is returning to Alabama for his Senior season announced mid way through January... He is still in the First-Pick sims?

Edit: I believe DJ Dale is returning too.

Ha, back to the drawing board I guess...I remember drafting Faalele a lot last year, too...then he didn't come out.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 05:01 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I've seen mocks with Cross going 2/3rd (and would be more than happy taking him there) so I'm not sure he would make it to 5th but would be ecstatic if he was and was our pick.

Happens a lot on first-pick early on as I think it bases availability on other teams picks and other people haven's scouted as deep as round 5 in many cases.  It gets tougher as the month goes one, but I try to just aim for BPA with influence by team needs.  It's free and it is fun.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Your score is: 48800 (GRADE: A)

First of what will surely be many this season (as always):  Remember, you can only chose who is there and the only really unrealistic pick I took was Alec Pierce.  No way is he there at end of Rd 3.  Bet he goes late Rd 1.  

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 31: Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson (A):  Bengals very happy he was there...A bit undisciplined, but a tough leader.

Round 2 Pick 31: Jordan Battle, FS/SS, Alabama (A-):  Like Booth, needs to be a bit more disciplined, but a leader and great football IQ

Round 3 Pick 31: Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati (A+):  Never going to be there...considered taking him in Rd 2, which I also don't see him being there.  

Round 4 Pick 31: D.J. Dale, DT, Alabama (A-):  Perfect fit as rotational 3T.  Solid in run game, could pay huge dividends.

Round 5 Pick 31: Nick Cross, FS/SS, Maryland (A+):  Aggressive safety with versatility to play single deep, or a number of different options.  

Round 6 Pick 30: Cole Turner, TE, Nevada (A+):  Long, athletic, and fast TE from Nevada.  If he played a higher level of competition, would have been drafted earlier.

Round 7 Pick 5: Tyler Badie, RB, Missouri (A+):  Tough runner with big-time breakaway speed.  Had something like 45 runs over 10 yards.  

Round 7 Pick 31: Damarion Williams, CB, Houston (A+):  Athletic DB with a lot of upside.

Bengals are in a bit of a pickle with so many of their starters being either on one-year deals or entering final year of their current deal.
It could mean a bunch of different options where the Bengals might want to get a head start on a replacement in the draft such that the draft pick can groom for a year before taking over.

Spots where this could be the case:
DB - Bates (playing on tag), Bell (final year of contract), Apple (one-year deal)
LB - Pratt (final year of rookie contract)
TE - Hurst (one-year deal), Sample (final year of rookie contract)

While the starters for 2022 might be set, we could see the early picks (Rds 1-3) go toward guys who could sit as rookies but potentially take over for departing veterans in 2023.

I bring this up because I think we'll see likely at least one DB and probably a TE taken on Day 1 and/or Day 2.
If Bengals don't draft a safety until Day 3, I would assume they'll expect to either re-sign Bates and Bell or address safety in FA next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals are in a bit of a pickle with so many of their starters being either on one-year deals or entering final year of their current deal.
It could mean a bunch of different options where the Bengals might want to get a head start on a replacement in the draft such that the draft pick can groom for a year before taking over.

Spots where this could be the case:
DB - Bates (playing on tag), Bell (final year of contract), Apple (one-year deal)
LB - Pratt (final year of rookie contract)
TE - Hurst (one-year deal), Sample (final year of rookie contract)

While the starters for 2022 might be set, we could see the early picks (Rds 1-3) go toward guys who could sit as rookies but potentially take over for departing veterans in 2023.

I bring this up because I think we'll see likely at least one DB and probably a TE taken on Day 1 and/or Day 2.
If Bengals don't draft a safety until Day 3, I would assume they'll expect to either re-sign Bates and Bell or address safety in FA next year.

Good point, but I see the more valued positions of DE, DT (3T), CB, WR taking precedence over those future potential future roster hole positions.  

Plus, they seem to like what they have in Wilcox to develop and possibly Moss.  LB is actually a very deep position for the Bengals with guys like Bailey and Bachie showing pretty well when needed.  CB will absolutely have at least one pick this year, and maybe two.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 07:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, but I see the more valued positions of DE, DT (3T), CB, WR taking precedence over those future potential future roster hole positions.  

Plus, they seem to like what they have in Wilcox to develop and possibly Moss.  LB is actually a very deep position for the Bengals with guys like Bailey and Bachie showing pretty well when needed.  CB will absolutely have at least one pick this year, and maybe two.  

I guess I disagree. 
I don't think the Bengals have very good LBs as a whole, nor do they have very good TEs.
Wilcox may be ok as a pure TE3, but he's very likely not going to ascend beyond that.
It's unlikely the Bengals keep both Hurst and Sample after this season. They'll at least need a new TE2.
I'm expecting a TE taken in Rds 2-4.
LB I can be ok with waiting on until Day 3. They only have one guy entering the final year of contract, and Pratt likely won't be expensive to retain. Plus, LB is one of the cheaper positions to address in FA.

I was more meaning safety when I brought up my previous comment. In an ideal world, the starting safeties are retained, as they are both very good. I'd hate to see a 2nd rounder spent on someone who might ride the bench all year. Ideally, I'd like to see the first two rounds go toward CB, DT, or OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess I disagree. 
I don't think the Bengals have very good LBs as a whole, nor do they have very good TEs.
Wilcox may be ok as a pure TE3, but he's very likely not going to ascend beyond that.
It's unlikely the Bengals keep both Hurst and Sample after this season. They'll at least need a new TE2.
LB I can be ok with waiting on until Day 3. They only have one guy entering the final year of contract, and Pratt likely won't be expensive to retain. Plus, LB is one of the cheaper positions to address in FA.

I was more meaning safety when I brought up my previous comment. In an ideal world, the starting safeties are retained, as they are both very good. I'd hate to see a 2nd rounder spent on someone who might ride the bench all year. Ideally, I'd like to see the first two rounds go toward CB, DT, or OL.

Im on record saying Hurst will be Joe's safety valve and will be back next year.   Still need to recruit a TE.

I would love to draft to a FS high and let him sit behind Bates one year.  No reason to overpay for FS.  I think Bell gets re-signed.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess I disagree. 

I could get along with a 3rd or 4th round TE, but my point was there is a lot of talent in the draft and when you said "Day 1 or 2 TE", that implies first three rounds.  Not only is there no transcendent TE talent in this draft and I could not imagine them using their first pick on one, but DE, CB, and WR are premium positions with skyrocketing salaries.  And for the Bengals, they have a need at all three.  You could bank on Ossai and Kareem, so maybe that DE becomes a penetrating 3T, but I just don't see TE as a big value in this draft and for the Bengals.  

Fourth round at the earliest would be my preference.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 01:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im on record saying Hurst will be Joe's safety valve and will be back next year.   Still need to recruit a TE.

I would love to draft to a FS high and let him sit behind Bates one year.  No reason to overpay for FS.  I think Bell gets re-signed.

You could be right about Hurst.  His one season in Atlanta with any talent around him showed he is pretty capable.  Guy has just had a run of bad luck in terms of another TE coming in and being a huge stud.  Andrews in Baltimore than Pitts in Atlanta....
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 06:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I could get along with a 3rd or 4th round TE, but my point was there is a lot of talent in the draft and when you said "Day 1 or 2 TE", that implies first three rounds.  Not only is there no transcendent TE talent in this draft and I could not imagine them using their first pick on one, but DE, CB, and WR are premium positions with skyrocketing salaries.  And for the Bengals, they have a need at all three.  You could bank on Ossai and Kareem, so maybe that DE becomes a penetrating 3T, but I just don't see TE as a big value in this draft and for the Bengals.  

Fourth round at the earliest would be my preference.  

Yes Day 1 or Day 2 TE does mean first 3 rounds. Given they've met with Isaiah Likely and Trey McBride, I think they're looking at a TE on Day 2.
I think if they go safety early, it will indicate a plan for Bates and/or Bell leaving after this season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 09:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes Day 1 or Day 2 TE does mean first 3 rounds. Given they've met with Isaiah Likely and Trey McBride, I think they're looking at a TE on Day 2.
I think if they go safety early, it will indicate a plan for Bates and/or Bell leaving after this season.

Any chance they shock the NFL mock-draft experts and pick a TE at #31? There usually seems to be many surprise moves and picks on day one. Maybe this year we make the surprise move?

Additional thought, how is Hurst going to handle the Bengals drafting a TE if it happens? I watched his press conference and he was talking about how previous coaches mislead him about his opportunities, and how he trusts that Zac is going to get him on the field and use his abilities. He reinforced he was a 1st round draft pick and knows he has the talent to start and do well in the NFL. Will Hurst embrace competition or believe the Bengals mislead him if a TE is drafted? I didn't sense any uh-oh alarms from Hurst, but at times I thought he was a bit over the top about coaches in Baltimore and Atlanta misleading him.

I'm starting to really, really, really like McBride.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 10:17 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Any chance they shock the NFL mock-draft experts and pick a TE at #31? There usually seems to be many surprise moves and picks on day one. Maybe this year we make the surprise move?

Additional thought, how is Hurst going to handle the Bengals drafting a TE if it happens? I watched his press conference and he was talking about how previous coaches mislead him about his opportunities, and how he trusts that Zac is going to get him on the field and use his abilities. He reinforced he was a 1st round draft pick and knows he has the talent to start and do well in the NFL. Will Hurst embrace competition or believe the Bengals mislead him if a TE is drafted? I didn't sense any uh-oh alarms from Hurst, but at times I thought he was a bit over the top about coaches in Baltimore and Atlanta misleading him.

I'm starting to really, really, really like McBride.

That's why I mentioned Day 1 or Day 2 originally. While I think it'd be a reach to take one of the TEs at 31, it could happen. Bengals might end up thinking this is their opportunity to get the best player at a position in the draft.

I think Hurst ended up in a tough situation both in BAL and ATL.
He's a typical TE. He's not an elite receiver.
Andrews proved to be a better receiver, and thus Hurst played second fiddle in BAL.
ATL had an opportunity to take TE/WR hybrid Kyle Pitts (my guy) and he showed why as a rookie last year.

Hurst is probably going to be in for a rude awakening again when he realizes he's likely going to be 4th in targets and thus not having great production again in CIN.

I don't really see any TE in this class who is going to be in that 800+ yard range in the NFL, which is the new elite tier (Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Pitts, Andrews). I think realistically you're looking at a handful of guys who could be in the 500-700 range depending on their opportunities.
Out of the group, I probably like Likely the best as a receiver. I think Woods has good potential, but he probably needs at least a year or two of development. Kolar and Ferguson are two guys I like on Day 3 that I think could be in the Dalton Schultz mold.

EDIT - To show better the impact Kyle Pitts has a receiver over some typical good TEs, here are some stats from last year with guys with around same number of targets.
Pitts - 110 targets, 68 rec, 1026 yards, 15.1 YPR (!!)
Gesicki - 112 targets, 73 rec, 780 yards, 10.7 YPR
Ertz - 112 targets, 74 rec, 763 yards, 10.3 YPR
Schultz - 104 targets, 78 rec, 808 yards, 10.4 YPR

So Pitts averaged 4-5 more YPR than a typical good TE. Most good typical TEs average in the 10-11 YPR range. Pitts actually had the highest YPR of all TEs.
Hurst has no way to compete with that. He's not that level of receiver.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
As always ocho, the reply is appreciated. I'm admittedly more excited for this draft than previous ones where we're picking at the top. It's fun knowing we have a team with top draft picks producing (Burrow, Higgins, Chase, Wilson, and others) along with embracing FA (Reader, Hendrickson, & the 3 OL). Pick 31 is shaping up to be an interesting selection.

All the mocks and various draft shows, videos, and other sources of information are in that period of changing draft stock. Players are rising and falling as the pro mock drafts adapt to the latest news and buzz they are hearing from NFL teams. Thus, it's increasingly harder to anticipate the players available when the Bengals pick.

We know there are needs at CB, DL, and OL depth, but there also might be some value with skill position players for offense at pick 31 even though we have amazing skill position players on offense already. Imagine adding another talented WR, TE, or RB at pick 31?

Less than one month to go. My Bengals geeking out fandom is on!
Reply/Quote
Let me also add that I too would prefer them not take a safety and TE until Day 3, or at least safety.
I'm hoping the first 2 rounds are CB and DL (or vice versa), as I think both will end up getting more playing time as rookies than other positions taken.

If a safety is taken early, I like the first 3 rounds of this mock a lot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote