Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SNEAKY SUSPICION
I thought they did well with the first couple of rounds. After that it’s always a crap shoot. If some of these athletes they drafted in later rounds are solid special teams guys then they were good picks.
Hill will be to get his feet wet this year before taking over for Bates in ‘23. I think this was a good move and shows how teams should use the franchise tag/draft to work in replacements. This will save $ for the guys they have to sign.
Maybe some got spoiled by the last couple of Burrow/Higgins/Wilson/Chase drafts but I would rather have them win and draft late (obviously).
OP needs to realize that this is a good roster and they were t going to draft anyone who was going to start this year so they planned for the future and drafted a lot of great athletes.
Reply/Quote
Joe Goodberry equated this draft to the 2013 draft, which yielded 3 starting-caliber players:
Tyler Eifert (Pro Bowler)
Gio Bernard
Shawn Williams

Bengals also got a rotational guy that didn't pan out for them as much but did go on to have some more success with another team - Margus Hunt.

The Day 3 players ended up doing about nothing from that class.
Burkhead was the only one to amount to anything, and he "just" became a RBBC guy everywhere he's been.

So I think we can equate this draft class probably close to that one.
Hill, CTB, and Carter and/or Volson could end up being at least decent contributors.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:05 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can honestly say that picking late in rounds left us no better than we were before the draft. I know its because we went to the SB, but unfortunately we lost. I was excited to before the draft but after waiting all the way down the draft and just realized all the players we needed were already gone. Thus the picks we got seem to me to be bottom of the barrel and feels to me like nothing we got was no more than camp fodder. I hope I am wrong and I hope they all can contribute to our success. 1 lineman, way to many safeties and defensive edge rushers. No linebackers at all which we desperately needed and nothing to brag about to reinforce our hideous Oline.
I hope I am dead wrong and would appreciate if anyone of you could build my confidence. Please help out. I hated waiting so long
I should have stopped reading earlier then the end.   We really need to stop feeding trolls....
[Image: 107320-full.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 11:24 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I thought they did well with the first couple of rounds. After that it’s always a crap shoot. If some of these athletes they drafted in later rounds are solid special teams guys then they were good picks.
Hill will be to get his feet wet this year before taking over for Bates in ‘23.  I think this was a good move and shows how teams should use the franchise tag/draft to work in replacements. This will save $ for the guys they have to sign.
Maybe some got spoiled by the last couple of Burrow/Higgins/Wilson/Chase drafts but I would rather have them win and draft late (obviously).  
OP needs to realize that this is a good roster and they were t going to draft anyone who was going to start this year so they planned for the future and drafted a lot of great athletes.

The majority of the money they'll save by not bringing back Bates will be used to sign Jonah for 4 years I would assume.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:05 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can honestly say that picking late in rounds left us no better than we were before the draft. I know its because we went to the SB, but unfortunately we lost. I was excited to before the draft but after waiting all the way down the draft and just realized all the players we needed were already gone. Thus the picks we got seem to me to be bottom of the barrel and feels to me like nothing we got was no more than camp fodder. I hope I am wrong and I hope they all can contribute to our success. 1 lineman, way to many safeties and defensive edge rushers. No linebackers at all which we desperately needed and nothing to brag about to reinforce our hideous Oline.
I hope I am dead wrong and would appreciate if anyone of you could build my confidence. Please help out. I hated waiting so long.

Completely disagree with this.  We play 2 linebackers a majority of the time.  We have one stud and a few good guys.  We didn't need a linebacker
Reply/Quote
well NFL.com thinks Bengals had a good draft..
Ranked us as the 4th best team in the NFL.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-which-teams-improved-most-after-2022-nfl-draft

Last year, the Bengals rolled the dice by passing on offensive line help at No. 5 overall in favor of Ja’Marr Chase, who made Duke Tobin and Co. look smart with a brilliant rookie season. Cincy used free agency to address -- aggressively -- its suspect offensive line, then used the draft to improve the back end of its defense, with the selections of defensive backs Daxton Hill and Cam Taylor-Britt. The Bengals are running their team with sound and direct logic -- they identify and attack deficiencies in an efficient manner. The 2022 draft was the latest example.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I personally liked the draft. We could have traded up for a player, but there weren't many good ones available. Just look what happened to the Reds this season because the FO gave away all the good players. The Bengals FO has a good plan.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
People have to keep in mind that we aren't in the roster building phase anymore. We aren't drafting in the top 5 and the "stars" are in the building. We we're very lucky to suck in the years that we did. Having a top 5 pick in this years draft wouldn't have done much.

That being said, the roster doesn't have many (if any) holes after free agency. They added guys that they think can fill roles in the scheme. I think they did a great job of doing it. We needed some talent in the secondary and they drafted well given what was on the board.
Reply/Quote