Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SNEAKY SUSPICION
(04-30-2022, 09:05 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can honestly say that picking late in rounds left us no better than we were before the draft. I know its because we went to the SB, but unfortunately we lost. I was excited to before the draft but after waiting all the way down the draft and just realized all the players we needed were already gone. Thus the picks we got seem to me to be bottom of the barrel and feels to me like nothing we got was no more than camp fodder. I hope I am wrong and I hope they all can contribute to our success. 1 lineman, way to many safeties and defensive edge rushers. No linebackers at all which we desperately needed and nothing to brag about to reinforce our hideous Oline.
I hope I am dead wrong and would appreciate if anyone of you could build my confidence. Please help out. I hated waiting so long.

We're good on LB with Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, and Baichie. We only have 2 on the field at a time. I realize all but Pratt were hurt at one point last year but how many back ups can you have at one position to the decrement of another?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:15 PM)RASCAL Wrote: you have nothing to base this on. 

Your whole post has nothing to base it on. Get a grip, we signed three great offense lineman in offseason and almost every starting position on roster is filled. Daxton Hill was rated the 18th best prospect in the draft and we got him at 31. He will play and contribute this year and most likely be a starter next year. We need to start planning for future(our two safeties contracts up next year)knowing that Joe, Jmar and Tee will all get huge contracts.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Everyone knows that there is no talent available after pick 30. They should just eliminate the last 6 Rounds.

...and the last 29 of those 30 are always trash. Just eliminate the draft after the overall number 1 pick.. That #5 last year? Just an absolute fluke..It'll never happen again..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:05 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can honestly say that picking late in rounds left us no better than we were before the draft. I know its because we went to the SB, but unfortunately we lost. I was excited to before the draft but after waiting all the way down the draft and just realized all the players we needed were already gone. Thus the picks we got seem to me to be bottom of the barrel and feels to me like nothing we got was no more than camp fodder. I hope I am wrong and I hope they all can contribute to our success. 1 lineman, way to many safeties and defensive edge rushers. No linebackers at all which we desperately needed and nothing to brag about to reinforce our hideous Oline.
I hope I am dead wrong and would appreciate if anyone of you could build my confidence. Please help out. I hated waiting so long.

For your own peace of mind you really need to go into panic mode..The sky is going to fall anyway so start digging a tunnel! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Uh, you have nothing to bse your beliefs on either.  

But you really don't seem to understand the NFL draft if you think we got no talent that improved our team.

You also don't understand our roster if you feel we aer is "desperate" need of a LB and thta we took "too many safeties" when both of our starters are due to be free agenstr next year with no decent depth behind them.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:46 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: A lot of people really liked Geno Atkins at the time of the pick.

A lot of people probably never heard of Atkins.

Then, they go out and read Mel Kipers report and decide they like him or dont.

Just like this draft. I doubt most people knew who most of our drafted players were prior to this.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:15 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I would have hated to have a top 5, let alone 1oa pick this year. Hated

Be thankful we hit the jackpot twice In a row...and snagged tee the past two years

Yes! It would be a terrible year for a top 5 pick. The guy taken at 1 was considered a reach.
Reply/Quote

And your post does ??
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A lot of people probably never heard of Atkins.

Just like this draft. I doubt most people knew who most of our drafted players were prior to this.

Funny you say that I have only heard of our top 2 picks and that is because they played in the Big Ten.
Reply/Quote
Teams go back to the playoffs year after year. That means they are drafting low but are still winning.

The Rams lost their Super-bowl against New England in 2019. In the very next draft just a few months later they were picking at the end of every round. They took the following players who started against us in the Super-bowl they won this year:

2nd Rd Taylor Rapp FS (admittedly this pick came from a trade, not their normal spot selecting)

3rd Rd (comp) Bobby Evans RT

4th Rd Greg Gaines DT

5th Rd David Edwards LG

They also got depth. Here are three players  who were on the roster but not starters:

2nd Rd Darrell Henderson RB

3rd Rd David Long CB

7th Rd Nick Scott S

So yeah, they drafted a lot of pieces while picking low. 7 players who were on their roster against us were drafted after rd 1 in the draft immediately following their SB loss.

(edited to clean up typos)

Reply/Quote
We could have sucked in 2021 and picked who at number 4 in the draft to make this the Super Bowl winning year? Sounds like we had one of those "good problems."
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:05 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Funny you say that I have only heard of our top 2 picks and that is because they played in the Big Ten.

Same here.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 03:20 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Teams go back to the playoffs year after year. That means they are drafting low but are still winning.

The Rams lost their superbowl against New England. In the very next draft just a few months later they were picking at the end of every round. They took the following players who started against us in the superbowl they won:

2nd Rd Taylor Rapp FS (admittedly this pick came from a trade, not their normal spot selecting)

3rd Rd (comp) Bobby Evans RT

4th Rd Greg Gaines DT

5th Rd David Edwards LG

They also got depth. Here are two players against us who were on the roster but not starters:

2nd Rd Darrell Henderson RB

3rd Rd David Long CB

7th Rd Nick Scott S

So yeah, they drafted a lot of pieces while picking low. 7 players who were on their roster against us were drafted after rd 1 in the draft immediately following their SB loss.

They trade all their 1st Round pics too.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A lot of people probably never heard of Atkins.

Outside of Hill, I know I don't know a damn thing about the guys we drafted. I didn't know anything about Geno Atkins in 2010 either... But he sure jumped off the screen that summer in the Hall of Fame game.

Let's not forget we're getting Joseph Ossai back this year too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 07:05 PM)jason Wrote: Outside of Hill, I know I don't know a damn thing about the guys we drafted. I didn't know anything about Geno Atkins in 2010 either... But he sure jumped off the screen that summer in the Hall of Fame game.

Yep. I agree with that all.

If the draft were as easy as selecting guys from espns guide...every team would have a great draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 07:05 PM)jason Wrote: Outside of Hill, I know I don't know a damn thing about the guys we drafted. I didn't know anything about Geno Atkins in 2010 either... But he sure jumped off the screen that summer in the Hall of Fame game.

I am pumped to see more of what he can do.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 11:07 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: I am pumped to see more of what he can do.

Yeah... He seemed to be a steal where we got him last year. He showed out in the only action he saw, and then was gone. It'll be fun because he could be a nice weapon or the new Golden Binns trophy winner.

I think he's gonna be a pretty badass situational pass rusher.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I was a big SEC fan so I knew who Geno was.  I liked the pick a lot.  But not even I imagined what he would become in the NFL.

The draft is a much bigger crap shoot than most "experts" want to admit.  But that is one of the things that makes it so fascinating.

Looking at the decade of drafts from '05-'14 there were 39 players selected in the first round who started fewer than 25 games in their entire career.  In the same decade of drafts there were 46 Pro Bowl players selected in the 5th round or later. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A lot of people probably never heard of Atkins.

I feel like most folks just go in with the idea that "I want x position drafted before the end of round y."
Reply/Quote
If you watched the Senior Bowl and the practices leading up to the game, you knew who Geno was.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote