Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SNEAKY SUSPICION
(04-30-2022, 09:15 PM)RASCAL Wrote: you have nothing to base this on. 

History?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:15 PM)RASCAL Wrote: you have nothing to base this on. 

How about decades of NFL history? Teams almost never trash their top draft picks, not even Super Bowl champions.
Reply/Quote
I know right? We didn’t even get a single Buckeye! :ninja:

We did get a stud DB from that school up north though… :cool:

Reply/Quote
Overall i thought it was a solid draft. not sure what the OP is complaining about, can you be more specific as to why you hated it?
Most of the mocks i did had us double dipping at CB, S and DL, with an OL squeezed in there somewhere.
So they drafted just as i expected.
Reply/Quote
I love our Depth on Defense. Offense injuries and we could be in trouble. This may be the best Ive felt about a defense going into a season ever. If we can stay healthy on offense no reason to be the beginning of the Burrow dynasty.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I love our Depth on Defense. Offense injuries and we could be in trouble. This may be the best Ive felt about a defense going into a season ever. If we can stay healthy on offense no reason to be the beginning of the Burrow dynasty.

Can't add depth everywhere in one year. 
They boosted the D 2-3 yrs ago with FA's now just making depth for any that we MIGHT lose.
This year they added quality to the OL. I'm betting next year, they get better depth there to build up for possible replacements there for the next year. We getting there.
Reply/Quote
I would have hated to have a top 5, let alone 1oa pick this year. Hated

Be thankful we hit the jackpot twice In a row...and snagged tee the past two years
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:05 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can honestly say that picking late in rounds left us no better than we were before the draft. I know its because we went to the SB, but unfortunately we lost. I was excited to before the draft but after waiting all the way down the draft and just realized all the players we needed were already gone. Thus the picks we got seem to me to be bottom of the barrel and feels to me like nothing we got was no more than camp fodder. I hope I am wrong and I hope they all can contribute to our success. 1 lineman, way to many safeties and defensive edge rushers. No linebackers at all which we desperately needed and nothing to brag about to reinforce our hideous Oline.
I hope I am dead wrong and would appreciate if anyone of you could build my confidence. Please help out. I hated waiting so long.

When you have a super bowl roster, the odds aren't great that 4th to 7th round picks will make a meaningful impact on the team. What the Bengals did was add depth in a few areas that needed depth. 

The 5th round safety is lightning fast (4.36 40, 9.49 RAS) and adds depth to a position that, prior to this draft, consisted of 5 total players (Bates, Bell, Henderson, Thomas, Wilson) who will be free agents in 2023. He may not have an impact this year on anything other than special teams, but he will have an impact next year, as he'll likely be the 3rd safety in the system at that point (I don't expect us to re-sign both Bates and Bell next off season).

Volson is another depth piece because, in the 4th round, you can't expect to draft someone who will reliably compete for the starting LG position with 2 2nd year players who were drafted higher than him in their respective draft. What he adds is a mean streak that can come in as the 6th man or in case of an injury and hold up, perhaps throw a player around. At his pro day, he showcased athleticism that would have put him in the 9.5s on the RAS scale and he broke NDSU's record for most games played, so you know he's experienced.

And the 7th round pick....I mean, you should never expect anything from a 7th round pick, but even in this case, we got a supremely athletic player. He scored a 9.75 RAS with an elite 40, vertical and broad jump and bench press. He had production as well, with 6.5 sacks in each of his last 2 seasons as well as 9 forced fumbles in 3 full years. 

I don't have a problem with any of the players we drafted in the 3rd day and think all 3 of them have a good shot at contributing in some way, especially relative to their draft position. If Volson turns into a competent back up, that's a good 4th round pick. If Anderson becomes a reliable 3rd safety and spot starter, that's a good 5th round pick. If Gunter makes the team, that's a great 7th round pick.

Remember, picking 2nd to last in each round (not counting compensatory picks) is a lot different than drafting near or at the top of each round, which we've done each of the last 3 years. A late 4th round pick is very similar to a 5th round pick, a late 5th to a 6th etc. It was the expectation that better players were going to come off the board as we waited for our pick. I know a few of my favorite players in the second half of the round went off in a row in the beginning of the 4th and 5th rounds (Shakir and Turner in the 5th, Kolar and Ferguson in 4th).

I'm not sure who you saw at our picks that you felt would have been better picks, but I think we got pretty good value considering where we were picking.

EDIT: Whoops, I misread the OP and thought he was talking specifically about day 3. The idea that Hill, CTB and Carter are training camp fodder was just so absurd to me, my eyes did not allow me to read the OP properly.

Hill is an elite prospect who will get plenty of playing time this year and especially next year. CTB is likely the starting CB2 by mid season barring injuries and, even if Apple has the season of his life, CTB probably still comes in for him throughout the year. And Carter will eat up many, if not the majority, of the 500 snaps at 3T left behind when Hill took Ogunjobi's starting spot (Ogunjobi had 700 snaps, Hill had 500 snaps last year).

None of these players are camp fodder and will have a relatively large impact on the field from day 1. Most of it will be in sub packages, as we did not have many, if any, spots that we'd likely been able to draft starters when picking 31st in each draft. The only player I can even think of that may have a bigger day 1 impact than the players we picked in the first 2 days would have been Logan Hall in the first round, and he had his own set of questions and risks that I don't think we get with Hill. Drafting Hall would have been drafting for need rather than drafting BPA, which is what Hill was.
Reply/Quote
I’ve said some dumb things before, and probably baffled a few people, I’ve lurked here a long time, and this is by far the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted here. If I had the time or will power I’d upload that meme from Billy Madison about us all being dumber from listening to this!
Reply/Quote
Without many immediate needs to fill I wish we would have tried to move up in the first to land one of the top centers. I like the FA’s we picked up but I would rather they play G. Just feel like we could have finally completed the O line with a legit C. Who knows maybe we did try. Anyway I hope the guys we drafted work out. Last year the draft was all about speed, and it seems to be the same this draft. We have some fast athletic dudes. This strategy worked well for KC. We will see.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:05 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can honestly say that picking late in rounds left us no better than we were before the draft. I know its because we went to the SB, but unfortunately we lost. I was excited to before the draft but after waiting all the way down the draft and just realized all the players we needed were already gone. Thus the picks we got seem to me to be bottom of the barrel and feels to me like nothing we got was no more than camp fodder. I hope I am wrong and I hope they all can contribute to our success. 1 lineman, way to many safeties and defensive edge rushers. No linebackers at all which we desperately needed and nothing to brag about to reinforce our hideous Oline.
I hope I am dead wrong and would appreciate if anyone of you could build my confidence. Please help out. I hated waiting so long.

I don't really get a lot of these takes.

I assume you mean OL when you say only one lineman.  How many did you expect them to draft?  They already have a bunch of young OL early in the development curve.  

How did they draft way too many S's?  They drafted two.  Most teams carry 4-5.  All 3 S's that they have left from the 53 man roster are UFA's next year.  Bates isn't currently under contract and will likely miss TC and possibly games before he signs the FT.  Wilson is basically just a mediocre KR guy and is a liability as a position player.

Gunter is really the only edge rusher they drafted.  Carter is more of a 3-tech, and we had no backup for Hill.

How did we desperately need LB's?  We usually only have two on the field at a time and only carry 5-6.  We have Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, and Bachie still on rookie deals.  

We signed three OL in FA to address the OL.  Dumping multiple draft picks into the group a year after we spent three on it isn't realistic.

Your post kind of comes off like you only care about having an elite OL and LB's and are kind of oblivious to the bigger needs all over the roster.
Reply/Quote
Picking late, along with 6 picks isn't going to move the needle. We just have to see if Duke has better luck picking late with Zac then he has in the past. First 2 picks were great, 3rd - you can grow to like, other than that... but if they hit on half the draft, that would be a success.

This is a unique position for the team to be in. I would have liked to see a TE and WR and could have done without trading up for a special teams DB with some options at those positions on the board.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
You are not just dead wrong, you are trolling to a pretty bad degree.
Reply/Quote

Why do you think we desperately need LBs? 
Reply/Quote

The current Bengals management has built a SuperbBowl team within two years.

Yet you are peeing you pants because you know more than them?

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Reply/Quote
Solid thread. Would read again.
Reply/Quote
The more I’ve looked at the draft the more I’m convinced Lou has some sub packages up his sleeve. I can see 3 safeties (Hill,Bates,&Bell) 3 DB’s ( Hilton, Awouzie,and Taylor-Britt) Logan Wilson, Sam Hubbard ( QB spy) Hendrickson, Hill, and Carter or Ossai.
Reply/Quote
*sneaking*
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Another thing we gotta be prepared for. If we have another stellar year, with top 10 offense and defense, we will be replace OC and DC After the season
Reply/Quote

I am happy to say the Bengals FO through other drafts and free agency had this team roster BETTER PRIOR TO THE DRAFT. We have no glaring weaknesses as they fixed them in free agency in my opinion. But, we needed depth and I think we got it and we drafted players who will develop into good NFL players.

I think anyone dismissing Hill as legit and a day 1 major contributor for Lou did not do their homework. Hill is  very good hybrid safety/corner with great speed to team with Bates and Bell. I also think the safety picks will allow us to cut Wilson after training camp freeing up 2+ million in cap space. Is Hill better than Wilson in your eyes? He is far better in mine.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote