Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSDD when it comes to the Steelers
If this beatdown and the piss poor performances had come against any other team, I would be much more concerned and worried. However, it came against the team that always make us their b-tches, so all I can honestly take away from this one is that it's just more of the same when it comes to playing Shitsburgh...which is we have no goddamn clue how to play them.

The Bengals have now lost 11 in a row to them (including the PO loss), and have a 3-18 record against them since 2010. Hell, they are just 14-45 against them under Mike Brown. Just a sickening level of domination.

So, while they got their asses handed to them yet again by the Steelers, it's hard to know how to accurately judge this game, because this has been happening for 3 stinking decades now.
Reply/Quote
11 in a row has to be a record.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:00 AM)michaelsean Wrote: 11 in a row has to be a record.

The Bills went an entire decade without beating their divisional foe. The Dolphins were one of the most dominant teams of the decade, appearing in three straight Super Bowls from 1971-73, winning two of three and going undefeated in 1972. They also claimed five AFC East crowns and beat the Bills 20 consecutive times, which is the NFL record for most consecutive wins — home or away — against one opponent.

The Lions lost 21 straight road games to the Redskins, including three playoff games, during a period that spanned 74 years

So... we aren't to that level of shit show.... yet...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The depressing thing is that my boss and I have a long standing bet on each game. Loser buys a "unique" bottle of adult beverage. I haven't won in some time. He actually feels bad for me, but we cannot break tradition.

At least he'll offer double or nothing tomorrow
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:00 AM)michaelsean Wrote: 11 in a row has to be a record.

It's currently the longest streak in our "rivalry" with the Steelers.

The Bengals longest win streaks in the rivalry is 6 games, and 4 games twice. Those three win streaks all happened in the 80s.

After that, we've never beaten them more than twice in a row.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Steelers just have a better team right now. They also matched up perfectly to us. We had one of the worst pass blocking o-lines, they had the most sacks.

Our offensive line is getting better, but they aren't on that level just yet. They make few to no mental errors, but our Bengals still make a lot.

Our team is pretty much Burrow or bust, they knocked him off his game, just a little, but enough to dominate.

This isn't a team like the Miami Dolphins, we can't have our quarterback have games of 12 of 22 for 93 yards a TD and a lost fumble, 15 of 25 for 169 yards and two td's and come away winning both games like Tua did.

If we ran 3 yards and a cloud of dust like the Dolphins, we'd lose every game 36 to 10 like today. Joe might be able to have a decent game and beat a team like the Giants.

But against the Steelers or Ravens he's gonna more then likely need games with 300-400 yards passing and 3-4 TD's.

Pretty much it's Burrow needs to be flawless and we might win and if he let's up just a little we're gonna get beat to a pulp only a mother could love.

Cause the only two games he truly looked like a rookie, was against the Ravens and Steelers, in my opinion. Those happened to be two games we got beat up in.

If I'm Burrow it'd be like water off a ducks back, I wouldn't let it bother me. Though it sucks to lose. If Peyton can struggle (as a rookie), Burrow is able have a learning experience or two himself.

We got a lot of winnable games coming up, let's hope we can get on a row and start building some momentum and enthusiasm in this locker room.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
You know what's a real kick in the nuts?  If the Steelers don't go undefeated -- and I think they will -- the teams who have the best chance to beat them are Cleveland and Baltimore.  The Bengals are an asterisk in a three team division.  Welcome back to the 1990s.
Reply/Quote
Death, taxes, and the Bengals getting curb-stomped by the Steelers.

There was a glimmer of hope after that 90 yard drive, but of course quickly extinguished. After the go-nowhere drive to open the second half I did something else.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 08:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You know what's a real kick in the nuts?  If the Steelers don't go undefeated -- and I think they will -- the teams who have the best chance to beat them are Cleveland and Baltimore.  The Bengals are an asterisk in a three team division.  Welcome back to the 1990s.

Browns sucked in the 90s too, just saying...
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 06:02 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Steelers just have a better team right now. They also matched up perfectly to us. We had one of the worst pass blocking o-lines, they had the most sacks.

Our offensive line is getting better, but they aren't on that level just yet. They make few to no mental errors, but our Bengals still make a lot.

Our team is pretty much Burrow or bust, they knocked him off his game, just a little, but enough to dominate.

This isn't a team like the Miami Dolphins, we can't have our quarterback have games of 12 of 22 for 93 yards a TD and a lost fumble, 15 of 25 for 169 yards and two td's and come away winning both games like Tua did.

If we ran 3 yards and a cloud of dust like the Dolphins, we'd lose every game 36 to 10 like today. Joe might be able to have a decent game and beat a team like the Giants.

But against the Steelers or Ravens he's gonna more then likely need games with 300-400 yards passing and 3-4 TD's.

Pretty much it's Burrow needs to be flawless and we might win and if he let's up just a little we're gonna get beat to a pulp only a mother could love.

Cause the only two games he truly looked like a rookie, was against the Ravens and Steelers, in my opinion. Those happened to be two games we got beat up in.

If I'm Burrow it'd be like water off a ducks back, I wouldn't let it bother me. Though it sucks to lose. If Peyton can struggle (as a rookie), Burrow is able have a learning experience or two himself.

We got a lot of winnable games coming up, let's hope we can get on a row and start building some momentum and enthusiasm in this locker room.

Our QBs have had to play flawless a lot against those assholes in order to have a shot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
At least before it was close, but no cigar. Zach is just powned by them and Ravens to the tune 178-56. I can't think of to many times the Bengals were $hitted on this bad with Marv (he actually had Ravens number).
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
We have a culture of losing here. Pittsburgh has a winning tradition and will not except losing, at least not on an ongoing basis. Some of our fan base are happy if we can just get to a wildcard game; in Pittsburgh they expect a Superbowl run every season. I really think it gets in our players heads and that's the biggest part of the battle. I compare it to the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry in college football; Ohio State have owned Michigan as of late and I think it gets in the coaches and players heads, the added pressure to perform and beat your rival.

Will we ever turn the tide with Pittsburgh? Will Burrow be the start of that change? Time will tell, and he's off to a rocky start, but it takes more than one man to do it. It takes ownership, a fan base, a coaching staff and a team with talent that believes that they can do it and believes in themselves.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Build a team to beat Pittsburgh and you'll have a team that can beat most the teams in the league. WHODEY!
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 11:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals have now lost 11 in a row to them (including the PO loss), and have a 3-18 record against them since 2010. Hell, they are just 14-45 against them under Mike Brown. Just a sickening level of domination.

If this tells us anything, I think it tells us that the problem lies at the top.  The biggest difference is you have one fantastically run organization vs. one pathetically run organization.

It's not just the players, or the coaches, or luck, or anything else.  They all come and go.  Big picture, they do things the right way, and we do things the wrong way.

They're rolling up to the Grand Prix representing Team Ferrari.  We're pulling up in Ford Taurus, with a rebuilt motor.

I'll never understand why the Brown family can't come to grips with the fact they're terrible at what they do, and that they need to bring in help and build out a front office that mimics their peers. They need to make the same investments (scouting, facilities, etc) if they ever hope to even have a chance a succeeding.
Reply/Quote
Guys, this team was 8-8 with their backup and 3rd string QB. Last year and are 9-0 this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:24 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If this tells us anything, I think it tells us that the problem lies at the top.  The biggest difference is you have one fantastically run organization vs. one pathetically run organization.

It's not just the players, or the coaches, or luck, or anything else.  They all come and go.  Big picture, they do things the right way, and we do things the wrong way.

They're rolling up to the Grand Prix representing Team Ferrari.  We're pulling up in Ford Taurus, with a rebuilt motor.

I'll never understand why the Brown family can't come to grips with the fact they're terrible at what they do, and that they need to bring in help and build out a front office that mimics their peers.  They need to make the same investments (scouting, facilities, etc) if they ever hope to even have a chance a succeeding.

Winning costs money.

Mike Brown is a business man, he makes more money this way.

If the goal was to win, you add payroll in the front office to scouting and GM and upgrades for the franchise. If the goal is to simply make $$$ you sit back and do the absolute minimum required and roll that pile of crap to the starting line knowing your still going to get paid.

It is clear to see which choice this franchise rolls with.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:38 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Winning costs money.

Mike Brown is a business man, he makes more money this way.

If the goal was to win, you add payroll in the front office to scouting and GM and upgrades for the franchise. If the goal is to simply make $$$ you sit back and do the absolute minimum required and roll that pile of crap to the starting line knowing your still going to get paid.

It is clear to see which choice this franchise rolls with.

See, I don't think it's really a money issue.  I think it stems more from stubborness than cheapness.

Convincing Mike Brown to build a practice facilty is like convincing your old aunt Ester that using a Roku or a FireStick with Youtube Live or HuluTV is better than keeping cable package she never negotiates, and only uses to watch 3 channels. 

Now you might think old Ester is cheap and doesn't want to buy the equipment, but at the same time she buys MyPillow's and all sorts of overpriced junk.  The reason she's not switching has nothing to do with money, and everything to do her being old and set in her ways.

Mike could overhaul his scouting department, and bring it up to the league average, with an investment of about 1 million dollars (12 additional scouts at 80k average).  He could add a GM for about 2-3 million a year.

For a total cost of under 5 million dollars he could have a perfectly modern, and acceptable front office.  And while some may point to the 5 million as an extra expense, they need to remember better performance will bring in more money.  Not to mention it saves you from buring money on players like Antonio Bryant, or Lavernous Coles, or AJ Green this year.

The Bengals have an operating budget of well north of 225 million dollars a year.  At 5 million, you're talking an increase of 2%.  When you have empty seats, unsold luxury boxes, and lost revenue from merchandise and concessions, any normal business owner would consider the following investment miniscule if it were made in the hopes of more than paying for itself.

I could be wrong.  Maybe he is just cheap.  But I think he's just a stubborn old man, just like his dad was.  People hate to hear this, but Paul Brown was past his prime long before he came here.  He's the reason the league unionized to begin with, because he too was old and stubborn, and coached like it was still the 40's.

I think Mike is the same way.  He wants to win his way.  Winning his way is more important than simply winning.  Saying he's cheap is too easy of an out.  He's cheap like an old person is cheap, which just means not spending on anything they're not familair with.  They'll spend 300% more on Tide detergent, and they'll keep both a house phone and a cell phone, but they'll approach the thought of buying a cell phone App for 1.99 like it's insane.

tldr Mike = Your old Aunt Ester
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 08:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You know what's a real kick in the nuts?  If the Steelers don't go undefeated -- and I think they will -- the teams who have the best chance to beat them are Cleveland and Baltimore.  The Bengals are an asterisk in a three team division.  Welcome back to the 1990s.

The Bills and Colts both have a shot at beating them.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:48 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Our QBs have had to play flawless a lot against those assholes in order to have a shot.

Not really. We should have beat them in the playoffs, and McCarron was pretty bad. We need a defense with some Steeler killers like Nelson and Burfict again.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 05:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: See, I don't think it's really a money issue.  I think it stems more from stubborness than cheapness.

Convincing Mike Brown to build a practice facilty is like convincing your old aunt Ester that using a Roku or a FireStick with Youtube Live or HuluTV is better than keeping cable package she never negotiates, and only uses to watch 3 channels. 

Now you might think old Ester is cheap and doesn't want to buy the equipment, but at the same time she buys MyPillow's and all sorts of overpriced junk.  The reason she's not switching has nothing to do with money, and everything to do her being old and set in her ways.

Mike could overhaul his scouting department, and bring it up to the league average, with an investment of about 1 million dollars (12 additional scouts at 80k average).  He could add a GM for about 2-3 million a year.

For a total cost of under 5 million dollars he could have a perfectly modern, and acceptable front office.  And while some may point to the 5 million as an extra expense, they need to remember better performance will bring in more money.  Not to mention it saves you from buring money on players like Antonio Bryant, or Lavernous Coles, or AJ Green this year.

The Bengals have an operating budget of well north of 225 million dollars a year.  At 5 million, you're talking an increase of 2%.  When you have empty seats, unsold luxury boxes, and lost revenue from merchandise and concessions, any normal business owner would consider the following investment miniscule if it were made in the hopes of more than paying for itself.

I could be wrong.  Maybe he is just cheap.  But I think he's just a stubborn old man, just like his dad was.  People hate to hear this, but Paul Brown was past his prime long before he came here.  He's the reason the league unionized to begin with, because he too was old and stubborn, and coached like it was still the 40's.

I think Mike is the same way.  He wants to win his way.  Winning his way is more important than simply winning.  Saying he's cheap is too easy of an out.  He's cheap like an old person is cheap, which just means not spending on anything they're not familair with.  They'll spend 300% more on Tide detergent, and they'll keep both a house phone and a cell phone, but they'll approach the thought of buying a cell phone App for 1.99 like it's insane.

tldr Mike = Your old Aunt Ester

Absolutely fantastic post. I’m putting this in that HoF thingy.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:24 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They're rolling up to the Grand Prix representing Team Ferrari.  We're pulling up in Ford Taurus, with a rebuilt motor.

And an oil leak and a dead hooker in the trunk.

Reply/Quote