Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safeties
(01-18-2016, 05:09 PM)J24 Wrote: He will be 33 next season. You don't pay players on what they have done you pay them on what they will do.

Yeah and you base what they will do on what they've done!

He had an incredible year. Keep him until he starts to fade. 
Reply/Quote
This team has gotten pretty damn good at taking safeties in the mid to late rounds and making them into good players. Iloka worked out, Williams seems to be just fine. Judging by trends and his limited time on the field, Smith may contribute next year as well. Basically, I fully trust this team when it comes to bringing in safeties.

Sign Iloka, let Reggie go and draft another safety this season for depth/the future.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:23 PM)samhain Wrote: This team has gotten pretty damn good at taking safeties in the mid to late rounds and making them into good players.  Iloka worked out, Williams seems to be just fine.  Judging by trends and his limited time on the field, Smith may contribute next year as well.  Basically, I fully trust this team when it comes to bringing in safeties.  

Sign Iloka, let Reggie go and draft another safety this season for depth/the future.

Although I agree, we are going to have all new DB coaches this year so let's hope that trend continues.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:15 PM)Whacked Wrote: Yeah and you base what they will do on what they've done!

He had an incredible year. Keep him until he starts to fade. 

Athletes get worse in their mid 30s not better. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:26 PM)J24 Wrote: Athletes get worse in their mid 30s not better. 

You can see that age/injury have taken their toll on Hall, for example.  But Nelson is still playing at a high level.  Why not sign a one or two year contract if we can get him for a decent price?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:26 PM)J24 Wrote: Athletes get worse in their mid 30s not better. 

People forget that outside of the Steeler games, Reggie had some pretty rough moments where he was late getting somewhere or didn't have enough juice to make a play. 
Yes he had his most productive year (INT wise) but overall it wasn't his best season IMO. 

He and Pacman would be dangerous gambles simply because of their age and the very well documented age curve of NFL players. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:24 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Although I agree, we are going to have all new DB coaches this year so let's hope that trend continues.

Well, to be fair we only had Vance for 2 seasons.  Iloka was progressing before he got here.  Coyle may not have the chops to be a defensive coordinator, but he developed many a good defensive back in his time here.  I really don't think there's a huge drop off from Joseph to Coyle, just less buzz due to Vance being an up-and-comer.  Once the Coyle hire becomes official, I'm feeling pretty alright about things.
Reply/Quote
I absolutely want Iloka back, but the beat writers noted that Iloka seemed to be acting like he was done with the Bengals on clean out day. He does hold Vance Joseph in high regard so you have to wonder if he'll see what Miami has to offer, if the Bengals let him test the market.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:31 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, to be fair we only had Vance for 2 seasons.  Iloka was progressing before he got here.  Coyle may not have the chops to be a defensive coordinator, but he developed many a good defensive back in his time here.  I really don't think there's a huge drop off from Joseph to Coyle, just less buzz due to Vance being an up-and-comer.  Once the Coyle hire becomes official, I'm feeling pretty alright about things.

But Coyle is trying to get a job with Cleveland, I hear.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:14 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I absolutely want Iloka back, but the beat writers noted that Iloka seemed to be acting like he was done with the Bengals on clean out day. He does hold Vance Joseph in high regard so you have to wonder if he'll see what Miami has to offer, if the Bengals let him test the market.

He can still be tagged so he may not be done, even if he thinks he is.
Reply/Quote
We could always bring Back Chris Crocker guys .... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:16 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: He can still be tagged so he may not be done, even if he thinks he is.

I think tagging Iloka was going to be the choice from the minute we failed to extend him before the season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I say we sign Reggie to a 1 or 2 year contract and tag Iloka if we can't get anything longterm done.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote

Tell that to Charles Woodson. 

Nelson is 32 and had the best year of his career. If we don't even attempt to keep the guy just because of his age I'm going to be pissed. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We lose Reggie, we lose our center fielder. We always overvalue our players, and then seem shocked when Brown can get them back weeks into free agency (most times). This offseason seems different. With coaches spreading out, no one is likely going to come cheap. Hopefully Brown doesn't open negotiations with a vet minimum offer. Get things started off on the wrong foot.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:38 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Tell that to Charles Woodson. 

Nelson is 32 and had the best year of his career. If we don't even attempt to keep the guy just because of his age I'm going to be pissed. 

Charles woodson is the exception to the rule.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:57 PM)J24 Wrote: Charles woodson is the exception to the rule.

And what's Carson Palmer?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 07:02 PM)motoarch Wrote: And what's Carson Palmer?

.... A qb?
Reply/Quote
Nelson will receive a very nice contract it will just be for a 1 or 2 year deal. Until he shows he can't get it done anymore he's worth the money.

The question is will it be here or elsewhere?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Just saw that Coyle's definitely been hired.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2016/1/18/10787352/bengals-hire-bill-lazor-kevin-coyle
Reply/Quote