Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safeties
We can easily afford both Iloka and Nelson.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:09 PM)J24 Wrote: He will be 33 next season. You don't pay players on what they have done you pay them on what they will do.
I don't know about that. Leon Hall got paid a lot of money this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:03 PM)2slick Wrote: I don't know about that. Leon Hall got paid a lot of money this year.

That contract was given to Leon... 4 years ago, before the achilles and when he was 27.

Simply not the same scenario. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:38 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Tell that to Charles Woodson. 

Nelson is 32 and had the best year of his career. If we don't even attempt to keep the guy just because of his age I'm going to be pissed. 

Seriously? 
You pick Charles Woodson as your example? Come on. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 07:02 PM)motoarch Wrote: And what's Carson Palmer?

A QB requires much less athleticism then an defensive back.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:38 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Tell that to Charles Woodson. 

Nelson is 32 and had the best year of his career. If we don't even attempt to keep the guy just because of his age I'm going to be pissed. 

Was going to say the same thing....or Deion Sanders, or Darrell Green, or Tom Brady, or Jerry Rice, or the king of all of the old guys......George Blanda.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 12:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Nelson is not going to cash in.  He's 33 years old.  He may get a decent deal, but there is no way he gets big-time money at that age.

Nah, it takes ONE desperate team to say that they'll spend the guaranteed money short term to add his 8 int's.  The Raiders and his old team the Jags could try to make that next step and have close to 70M to use.  There are still teams that will try to make a big splash here and there, so paying a short term premium on a safety that Mike Brown won't pay an 8 INT rate for what he already accomplished could make Nelson a realistic target a team like Oakland could wrap up quick and move onto the next target.  I like Reggie A LOT, but it's more likely they spend the money at a different position and count on a mid round safety or cut vet (Crocker and Manning in the past) to pair with Smith behind Iloka and Williams.  If I'm wrong though and nobody steps up then I'd be elated if he hits the market and comes back to a reasonable deal. 
Reply/Quote
We definitely need to keep Iloka, he's young and a pretty talented safety.  If you can get Nelson for another year or two at a good price, he's worth bringing back, but his age has to be a factor.  I think Williams filled in nicely when needed and a Williams/Iloka tandem could be fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to have second thoughts on keeping Iloka over Nelson. Nine mil for a safety makes me cringe a bit. Reports of him planning to leave if he isn't franchised are a little off-putting as well.

It might not be so bad to give Reggie a 2-year deal for 6 or 7 mi per and groom Smith to start beside Williams as the future of the franchise at the position. Additionally, the team could draft and develop another to round out the depth chart and play teams.

If keeping Reggie here over Iloka means they can afford to keep another FA with the money saved, I'm for it. IMO the team will feel the pain from losing Adam Jones more than any other free agent. It's critical to be able to afford to bring him back.
Reply/Quote
Reggie Nelson is my favorite player on the Bengals roster. Above all other players, I've just liked Reggie Nelson since he came to us a few years ago. That being said, yeah I am a little biased towards him. But I feel like Reggie Nelson and Adam Jones are playing the best football of their careers right now. They both might be over 30, but you can't really just overlook that because they are at the age or close to the age where they are supposed to start declining in playing ability. Everyone is different. So you can't just say that their performance is going to drop off because statistically the majority of players start slowing down in their early 30's.

Pay Nelson and Adam Jones what they need to be paid to be retained. They've proven this past year that they've earned the right to retire a Bengal. They've proven they still have at least another season left in their tanks.
Reply/Quote
I love Reggie Nelson but I could see us moving on for his age and price. I think we have to keep Illoka. I know this sounds insane coming out as I type it but I actually have faith in our FO as of late as far as re signing guys and letting some go for the price. TB drastically overpaying MJ and Collins are some good examples. We get MJ right back for the right price. Don't getme wrong I would love to keep them both I just see some team over paying for Nelson after his great season.
Reply/Quote
They both stay....
Reply/Quote
YOu always want to let a guy go a year too early rather than a year too late. Does Nelson have one more good year left? Probably./ Does he have two? Doubtful. Let him walk and lets someone else pay him too much. Just because we are in good shape cap wise doesn't mean we need to make bad financial moves.
Reply/Quote
They need to either tag or extend Iloka, if Nelson can be had at a decent price than maybe, but he's 33 and coming off a career year in the int dept, someone will be willing to overpay for an aging safety who isn't a good tackler.
Reply/Quote
With Williams on the roster one can go. I love me some Reggie but Williams seems like he can do all of that and lay a big hammer.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
I think folks are forgeting Josh Shaw
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think folks are forgeting Josh Shaw

You think the coaches are going to move him to safety?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:26 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You think the coaches are going to move him to safety?

He played Safety in college. He played CB for us this year out of necessity
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I was pretty sure he was predominantly a CB at USC so I checked it out on their website

2013: Shaw started both at cornerback and free safety as a junior in 2013, although he primarily was at corner.
2014: Shaw, USC's most versatile and reliable defensive back (he has started at cornerback and safety), will look to start again as a senior in 2014, most likely at cornerback.

It's good to know he can do both for us, but I think he looked pretty good at corner last year. Would like to see him stick at CB if possible.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:37 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I was pretty sure he was predominantly a CB at USC so I checked it out on their website

2013: Shaw started both at cornerback and free safety as a junior in 2013, although he primarily was at corner.
2014: Shaw, USC's most versatile and reliable defensive back (he has started at cornerback and safety), will look to start again as a senior in 2014, most likely at cornerback.

It's good to know he can do both for us, but I think he looked pretty good at corner last year. Would like to see him stick at CB if possible.

He got a fair amount  of slot CB reps. I'd wager it's DD and Kirk on the perimeter and Shaw inside. 
Reply/Quote