Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety?
Dave Lapham was asked what position he'd target in the first round this year. His response was safety. That kind of surprised me. I figured Shawn Williams would be one of our two starters next season since I think we move on from Reggie.

I can't see us letting Iloka walk in free agency. He'll get re-signed or tagged, at the very least.

Now it is early to instantly lock down on a certain position for the draft, but Lap is pretty much a mouth piece for the Bengals. He's the one who talked about Zeitlet. He chose Eifert in his 2013 mock, and plenty of us ripped him for it. I don't remember his favorite in 2014, but he "predicted" Ced O. this past year.

CBS doesn't have any safety projected as a first rounder, but one or two will most likely make their way into the first round.

Jalen Mills is a popular name and some consider him a coach on the field. Jayron Kearse comes from NFL bloodlines and could be a "Freak" like his uncle.

What do you think?
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 06:35 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Dave Lapham was asked what position he'd target in the first round this year. His response was safety. That kind of surprised me. I figured Shawn Williams would be one of our two starters next season since I think we move on from Reggie.

I can't see us letting Iloka walk in free agency. He'll get re-signed or tagged, at the very least.

Now it is early to instantly lock down on a certain position for the draft, but Lap is pretty much a mouth piece for the Bengals. He's the one who talked about Zeitlet. He chose Eifert in his 2013 mock, and plenty of us ripped him for it. I don't remember his favorite in 2014, but he "predicted" Ced O. this past year.

CBS doesn't have any safety projected as a first rounder, but one or two will most likely make their way into the first round.

Jalen Mills is a popular name and some consider him a coach on the field. Jayron Kearse comes from NFL bloodlines and could be a "Freak" like his uncle.

What do you think?

I think the Smith kid we got last year was considered to be a steal. Would love to keep Reggie, but he might get thrown too much money elsewhere.

Mark Barron fits our M.O. and he's a FA.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 06:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the Smith kid we got last year was considered to be a steal. Would love to keep Reggie, but he might get thrown too much money elsewhere.

Mark Barron fits our M.O. and he's a FA.

Smith is definitely a guy to watch in the offseason. 
He's got range and ball skills. 

Shawn Williams showed some big upside as an enforcer.
Iloka isn't going anywhere IMO. We have cap room. He's the top priority.
Reply/Quote
I have a question. Is Smith a true saftey or more of a nickleback like Mathieu?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The only thing I would be open to in the first 3 rounds is taking Su'a Cravens and having him play a role similar to Buchanon's in Arizona.
Reply/Quote
The safety class is deep this year. Don't know the reason Jeremy Cash left Ohio State, but his productivity was great at Duke. Medical check though..he ended the year with a wrist injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 07:28 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Smith is definitely a guy to watch in the offseason. 
He's got range and ball skills. 

Shawn Williams showed some big upside as an enforcer.
Iloka isn't going anywhere IMO. We have cap room. He's the top priority.

He and MLJ, 1A and 1B.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think Williams deserves more PT, I'm excited about Derron Smith and if it comes down to Iloka or Nelson, I'm going Iloka. Nelson has been great but someone will offer him a kings ransom due to his int numbers. I might look to draft a big CB that can be used as both CB/S kind of like Shaw.
Reply/Quote
I love Iloka but it seems like he's injured every other week.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 11:38 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I love Iloka but it seems like he's injured every other week.

He missed 4 games this year and played all 16 the two years before this.

He's fine. 
Reply/Quote
While I've always hoped that we would look at safety for a 1st round pick, this doesn't seem like the year. While I like Marvin Jones, George Iloka needs/has to be priority #1 to re-sign. I'd be on the phone with him trying to get a deal done before the tag comes into effect. Shawn Williams did enough to warrant first shot at replacing Reggie Nelson this year.

I'm also on the Derron Smith bandwagon. I was ecstatic when we took him. I figure he'll make a great 3rd safety next season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:03 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: While I've always hoped that we would look at safety for a 1st round pick, this doesn't seem like the year. While I like Marvin Jones, George Iloka needs/has to be priority #1 to re-sign. I'd be on the phone with him trying to get a deal done before the tag comes into effect. Shawn Williams did enough to warrant first shot at replacing Reggie Nelson this year.

I'm also on the Derron Smith bandwagon. I was ecstatic when we took him. I figure he'll make a great 3rd safety next season.

I was a little surprised Smith didn't get more looks at S when Lamur got hurt. I expected Williams to go to LB and Smith to S. 
I guess they weren't quite comfortable with that in a playoff run. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:07 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I was a little surprised Smith didn't get more looks at S when Lamur got hurt. I expected Williams to go to LB and Smith to S. 
I guess they weren't quite comfortable with that in a playoff run. 

I was surprised as well. I know he was a 6th round pick and all, but he supposedly a better player than that. It seemed like the coaches really wanted to bring him along slowly. Who knows? Maybe he's like Dawson and not the best person when it comes to practice.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:23 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was surprised as well. I know he was a 6th round pick and all, but he supposedly a better player than that. It seemed like the coaches really wanted to bring him along slowly. Who knows? Maybe he's like Dawson and not the best person when it comes to practice.

Maybe. But with VRey and Reggie both FA, Dawson and Smith will be asked to step up in a big way. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Maybe. But with VRey and Reggie both FA, Dawson and Smith will be asked to step up in a big way. 

Ohhh, I don't see Marvin letting VRey getting away. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:22 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Ohhh, I don't see Marvin letting VRey getting away. Whatever

He'll probably sneak back on a low deal. Need him to drop more big time picks and record tackle stats 15 yards downfield. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He'll probably sneak back on a low deal. Need him to drop more big time picks and record tackle stats 15 yards downfield. 

Rey seems like Marvin's new Landon Johnson.
Reply/Quote
Hope they sign Reggie back or give S Williams a shot but if not JAYRON KEARSE.

Having Iloka and Kearse in the back would be crazy. Both very tall. Kearse is 6' 5".
Reply/Quote
I don't get it all but it seems like Iloka might not be a priority for this team. According to Paul dhener its a 40% chance of retaining him and lap seems to think he is gone as well. Don't get and don't like it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 03:10 AM)J24 Wrote: I don't get it all but it seems like Iloka might not be a priority for this team. According to Paul dhener its a 40% chance of retaining him and lap seems to think he is gone as well. Don't get and don't like it.

That could be more on Iloka than on the team.  Do you want to give him a huge contract to stay?  The defense didn't really seem to miss him when he was gone.

That may speak more to Williams as a player, but who really knows what will happen until free agency hits.  I expect the following guys to be back:

Marvin Jones
Sanu
Iloka
Paceman
Hall

I don't think you will see much movement with this team.  It's one of the most stable in the league.
Reply/Quote