Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety a need now
(03-13-2023, 11:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think we'll roll with the Bengal M.O. at S and bring in a young High Draft Choice that didn't work out in 1st stop:

JOHNATHAN ABRAM
KEANU NEAL
TERRELL EDMUNDS

Keanu Neal has been around a few years not super young but i get your point lol
Reply/Quote
They are going to sign a better safety in FA. Everyone needs to relax.

I think the Bengals liked Bell, but I don't get the feeling he was there end all be all. They can literally upgrade from him at safety still.

Now if we miss out on one of these tier 1 or 3 guys...then panic.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They are going to sign a better safety in FA. Everyone needs to relax.

I think the Bengals liked Bell, but I don't get the feeling he was there end all be all. They can literally upgrade from him at safety still.

Now if we miss out on one of these tier 1 or 3 guys...then panic.

I agree I think people are sweating it to early just yet. They had a plan in case they couldn't keep Bell trust the process they've been good at this the last few yrs.
Reply/Quote
Lou loves versatility out of his secondary. Bates and Bell are good safeties but not versatile especially in coverage. Hill has crazy range and CGJ was a slot corner before finding his niche at safety. CGJ is a quality individual and would fit in well in the locker room. I hope there’s truth to this and it’s not just click bait.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hill struggled a lot when he played this year. Not sure he's ready to start.

Hill was frustrating at times for things like going out of bounds on special teams all the time but how many times did he struggle at his actual position ? Felt like he only played there as the 3rd safety in the playoff game against Buffalo and did well. Hill wasn’t starting over Bates and Bell and Flowers at 6’3 220 was used more for his size against TE’s. Hill can play slot corner in a pinch he had to play outside CB against Cleveland due to injuries and got burnt but I’m giving him a pass there. Not saying he’s gonna be good just pointing out he didn’t really play his natural position a lot this season or play a lot due to us having two good starting safeties.
Reply/Quote
Hill will take over Bell's spot. I'm sure they'll sign a veteran, but I could also see them adding another safety in the draft
Reply/Quote
If they sign someone, cool. If they don't, they don't. I have more faith in Lou Anarumo than I ever had in Jessie Bates. When Bates played very poorly in '21 for almost the entire season, they were in the playoff hunt because Lou's schemes could mask or absorb his poor play.

Bell is the true loss. I hope this isn't a Reggie Nelson/Shawn Williams swap that we saw in 2016. That was a major drop off for the Bengals. I always said that Reggie Nelson made George Iloka a lot of money because Nelson helped make Iloka look much better than he was. I have a feeling that a humbled Bates will be back on the street in a couple of years without Bell protecting him.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:05 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I’d like Hill paired with a veteran safety. Far as losing Bell I thought we’d lose Pratt and Bates and keep Bell. Guess I prefer Pratt over Bell is the way I’m looking at it if that makes sense.

Devin McCourty is a veteran safety — and a free agent — but at 35 how much gas does he have left in the tank? He certainly would be a great mentor for Dax Hill.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Devin McCourty is a veteran safety — and a free agent — but at 35 how much gas does he have left in the tank?  He certainly would be a great mentor for Dax Hill.

One of the McCourty's announced their retirement recently. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Devin McCourty is a veteran safety — and a free agent — but at 35 how much gas does he have left in the tank? He certainly would be a great mentor for Dax Hill.

He retired a few days ago only know cause I’m from New England lol. Think Taylor Rapp could be interesting only 25 and good according to PFF. I liked him coming out of the draft and don’t see the Rams resigning him seems like there in rebuild mode.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 10:21 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Do you think there is truth to this (posted 3 hours ago)?

Sounds like maybe the Bengals are looking at adding one safety in FA if this is true.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(03-13-2023, 10:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Please let this not be bullshit..

(03-13-2023, 10:30 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah I know nothing about the guy that posted it. 

Apparently a reporter for the Athletic that covers the Bengals?

I would imagine he wants to stay in Philly so we'll see I guess.

I don't know much about the player either--he better than Bates and Bell?

(03-13-2023, 10:33 PM)pulses Wrote:  Sign dat dude !!

(03-13-2023, 10:49 PM)pally Wrote: If he is with The Athletic, he is brand new

but here is something more

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:34 PM)lone bengal Wrote: He retired a few days ago only know cause I’m from New England lol. Think Taylor Rapp could be interesting only 25 and good according to PFF. I liked  him coming out of the draft and don’t see the Rams resigning him seems like there in rebuild mode.

Rapp would be solid  I think. He had a 76 pff last year. Spotrac says his value is 10 million I dunno if that's close or not?
Reply/Quote
Ideally, you'd want a versatile balanced safety but keep your eye on Jordan Poyer here. Bell's contract wasn't extravagant, so i think they let that chemistry and leadership walk out te door due to long term budget. They're likely limiting how much money they're spending for 2025 in light of the big guys, but also holding out hope for Tycen Anderson or a rookie to develop into a starter. That means you need a stopgap bridge safety like Poyer, or a cut vet like John Johnson. Either way, there are descent fringe options.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:09 AM)phil413 Wrote: Ideally, you'd want a versatile balanced safety but keep your eye on Jordan Poyer here.  Bell's contract wasn't extravagant, so i think they let that chemistry and leadership walk out te door due to long term budget.  They're likely limiting how much money they're spending for 2025 in light of the big guys, but also holding out hope for Tycen Anderson or a rookie to develop into a starter.  That means you need a stopgap bridge safety like Poyer, or a cut vet like John Johnson.  Either way, there are descent fringe options.

Poyer is where my head went in another thread. Maybe a two year deal for 12-14 that’s really more of a one year with a kiss.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:09 AM)phil413 Wrote: Ideally, you'd want a versatile balanced safety but keep your eye on Jordan Poyer here.  Bell's contract wasn't extravagant, so i think they let that chemistry and leadership walk out te door due to long term budget.  They're likely limiting how much money they're spending for 2025 in light of the big guys, but also holding out hope for Tycen Anderson or a rookie to develop into a starter.  That means you need a stopgap bridge safety like Poyer, or a cut vet like John Johnson.  Either way, there are descent fringe options.

Carolina gave Bell 13 million in guaranteed money and I don't think we wanted to wrap that much in guarantees to an older safety in their minds. So not sure they'd want to invest in an even older safety here. If it's a 1 or 2 yr deal REAL CHEAP then maybe they might do it for depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:22 AM)pulses Wrote: Carolina gave Bell 13 million in guaranteed money and I don't think we wanted to wrap that much in guarantees to an older safety in their minds. So not sure they'd want to invest in an even older safety here. If it's a 1 or 2 yr deal REAL CHEAP then maybe they might do it for depth.

I agree, that why I'm thinking more of a Riley Reiff type 2 yr deal with a little bit of dead money next year like a baseball contract. They're for sure letting the market come to them, I'm just looking at names that will be there and why
  I really don't want to go into the draft with safety as a need, but I could really see them going in with Poyer starting for a year, Anderson as the backup if the draft doesn't fall their way.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:51 AM)phil413 Wrote: I agree, that why I'm thinking more of a Riley Reiff type 2 yr deal with a little bit of dead money next year like a baseball contract. They're for sure letting the market come to them, I'm just looking at names that will be there and why
  I really don't want to go into the draft with safety as a need, but I could really see them going in with Poyer starting for a year, Anderson as the backup if the draft doesn't fall their way.  
I think we can get Thornhill for  less than what Bell got. That would be a good signing in my book. 2 years and like 12 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 10:35 PM)Nepa Wrote: When you go to the actual twitter post, most posters are saying it is fake news.

Well, the pic he's using is the CFO of Subaru. LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:20 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, the pic he's using is the CFO of Subaru. LOL
Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:50 PM)pulses Wrote: Rapp would be solid  I think. He had a 76 pff last year. Spotrac says his value is 10 million I dunno if that's close or not?

I think they have C.J. Gardner-Johnson at $11 million per year. It makes me wonder why we didn't just keep Vonn Bell for $8 million.

Edit: Apparently the have him at $13 million. Thank you for the correction pulses.

Reply/Quote