Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety a need now
(03-14-2023, 10:09 AM)Synric Wrote: Bengals replaced all 3 of their starting corners in 2021 and went to a Super Bowl.

Thanks for proving my point.  The safeties were so good that they could replace 3 starting corners and still make the Super Bowl.
Those safeties are now GONE.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 10:24 AM)Synric Wrote: I disagree wholeheartedly Chido and Hilton are a couple of the best players at their positions in the NFL (Chido gets no respect but he was a top 3 corner before he got hurt). Overall its the system not the safeties that make the defense special. 

I think some are skeptical of Chido returning back to his pre-injury self, at least by the start of the season.
I'm hopeful that he will though.
It is his final year under contract though, so it might be worth snagging a CB in the draft anyway and having them back up for a year like the Bengals did with CTB last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 09:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: We've watched Burrow eat Thornhill alive for 2 years in a row. Misses too many tackles and would be a downgrade imho. We are in trouble as this isn't a good Safety class, and if they aren't willing to do a Bell like contract for a Safety, we aren't getting an adequate replacement in Free Agency.

We aren't beating KC without Bell/Bates.

The hell it isn't: it is far from the best ever, but this isn't a bad class at all. Last year was worse.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The hell it isn't: it is far from the best ever, but this isn't a bad class at all. Last year was worse.

Yep. Several good players.
Reply/Quote
If yall say so. I don't see many Safety's in this draft. Its a deep RB, CB, TE draft. Overall a weak class in general with only about 5 true 1st round grades. So yall going safety early then because you definitely aren't getting one mid round. With only 7 picks and needs at TE, CB, RB, OT, P, WR, I wasn't thinking of squeezing a Safety in there somewhere. But here we are.

I'd argue last years class was better. Much. Hamilton, Hill, Petri, Brisker, Cline, Cross, Cook....

3 first round picks (there won't be 3 this year). Star 2nd round pick in Petri, star late round pick in Kerby Joseph. I think you might have slept on last years class.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:19 AM)jj22 Wrote: If yall say so. I don't see many Safety's in this draft. Its a deep RB, CB, TE draft. Overall a weak class in general with only about 5 true 1st round grades. So yall going safety early then because you definitely aren't getting one mid round. With only 7 picks and needs at TE, CB, RB, OT, P, WR, I wasn't thinking of squeezing a Safety in there somewhere. But here we are.

I'd argue last years class was better. Much. Hamilton, Hill, Petri, Brisker, Cline, Cross, Cook....

3 first round picks (there won't be 3 this year). Star 2nd round pick in Petri, star late round pick in Kerby Joseph. I think you might have slept on last years class.

I don't think we can play a rookie safety, Anderson, and Hill. We need to sign a veteran or 2.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think we can play a rookie safety, Anderson, and Hill. We need to sign a veteran or 2.

I think we have to sign someone too. But I'm concerned the level of replacement they will be able to pull if they weren't willing to pay Bell the reasonable contract he got given his contributions. Which means we probably still need to draft one. 

But we'll see. We did panic around here when they let Lawson, and WWIII (although not as much), CJ walk. And they were able to find adequate replacements. But they were willing to spend too back then.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:19 AM)jj22 Wrote: If yall say so. I don't see many Safety's in this draft. Its a deep RB, CB, TE draft. Overall a weak class in general with only about 5 true 1st round grades. So yall going safety early then because you definitely aren't getting one mid round. With only 7 picks and needs at TE, CB, RB, OT, P, WR, I wasn't thinking of squeezing a Safety in there somewhere. But here we are.

Depending who you ask there are 8-12 1st round grades. The CB class has a HUGE variance in how teams rank them and who they like. The lack of elite OL in this class is what is both interesting and intriguing. In these cases it causes some people to reach early, potentially even pulling a position like HB or TE further up the 1st round that is usually a lower valued position.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think we can play a rookie safety, Anderson, and Hill. We need to sign a veteran or 2.

The Chiefs disagree!
Reply/Quote
The almighty internet identifies the following guys as the top Safeties in the draft:

Brian Branch, Alabama,
Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
JL Skinner, Boise St
Jordan Battle, Alabama
Sydney Brown, Illinois
Jartavius Martin, Illinois
Daniel Scott, California
Brandon Joseph, Notre Dame
Christopher Smith, Georgia

I suppose the Bengals need to identify which player has the physical talent and acumen to immediately contribute to winning football (unless of course a FA is signed this week).
Reply/Quote

Let's take a look at those needs that you have listed.

TE- Taking one in the 1st would be a luxury for a Bengals offense that doesn't utilize the TE as a primary weapon.
CB- Yeah, would have been nice to take one at the top, but plenty will be available in day 2.
RB- Plenty of viable RBs throughout the draft.
OT- Here's where the hard decisions begin.  We NEED both a starter and quality depth at this position.
P -  I would never take a punter near the top end of the draft.
WR- Every year the WR pool is deep enough to find quality receivers in about any round.
S  - Suddenly a defense whose coordinator loves to base his diverse coverages off of talented Safety play now needs instant help. 

In summary, it looks like the biggest fires needing addressed immediately are at Tackle and now Safety.  I would say that if the Tackle they covet isn't available at #28, it might be opportune to trade the #28 pick for another 2nd rounder and a day 3 pick.  Then (my perceived) biggest 3 needs (T, S, CB) can all be addressed on day 2 of the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:36 AM)Tomcat Wrote: The Chiefs disagree!

Sign Gardner-Johnson and draft Jordan Battle-Alabama in Round 2, if he's gone at 60, take Chris Smith-Georgia.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:38 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The almighty internet identifies the following guys as the top Safeties in the draft:

Brian Branch, Alabama,
Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
JL Skinner, Boise St
Jordan Battle, Alabama
Sydney Brown, Illinois
Jartavius Martin, Illinois
Daniel Scott, California
Brandon Joseph, Notre Dame
Christopher Smith, Georgia

I suppose the Bengals need to identify which player has the physical talent and acumen to immediately contribute to winning football (unless of course a FA is signed this week).

Brian Branch is an all around defensive back. He has played Corner, Deep Safety, Box Safety, Linebacker. I have him as a top 15 pick. Sydney Brown is Brian Branch lite. He wasn't asked to do as much in college at Branch but showed a very diverse skill set at the Senior Bowl. Jordan Battle and Christopher Smith are both college veteran safeties that have played both spots at the highest level in NCAA.

I haven't watched Joseph or Johnson yet and Im not a Skinner fan I think he is a year away and needs to fill out in the right places (I know someone will give him his measurements but that's not what I mean).

Edit: I watched some Taylor Rapp last night and came away very impressed showed a ton of versatility while still playing at a high level. He's my guy right now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:43 AM)Synric Wrote: Brian Branch is an all around defensive back. He has played Corner, Deep Safety, Box Safety, Linebacker. I have him as a top 15 pick. Sydney Brown is Brian Branch lite. He wasn't asked to do as much in college at Branch but showed a very diverse skill set at the Senior Bowl. Jordan Battle and Christopher Smith are both college veteran safeties that have played both spots at the highest level in NCAA.

I haven't watched Joseph or Johnson yet and Im not a Skinner fan I think he is a year away and needs to fill out in the right places (I know someone will give him his measurements but that's not what I mean).

Edit: I watched some Taylor Rapp last night and came away very impressed showed a ton of versatility while still playing at a high level. He's my guy right now.

I'm wondering if we can identify targets based on comments Duke and Zac make about players they draft. For example, they liked that Logan Wilson captained his squad at Wyoming. They've mentioned liking players who have been in the title games and the such.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 10:49 PM)pally Wrote: If he is with The Athletic, he is brand new

but here is something more

This is more likely the truth. That other one is fake news, but if the Eagles don't match we could grab up Gardner-Johnson and that 
would make all of my cautiousness about this FA go away. Him or Thornhill and we are fine, I think Dax can be better than Bell or 
Bates so I am not concerned there except for some struggles early this season. Not like Bell and Bates weren't struggling at times 
last year and they were solid veterans. Bell might of been falling off and Bates played soft like half the year.

True these guys were one of the best Safety duos the last few years when Bates was playing hard but Bell is a little older and didn't
play as well last year and Bates is still not a great tackler. Smarts and range are the questions at Safety now as that was Bell and 
Bates best attributes.
Reply/Quote
If Awuzie is back, we can play CTB at safety with Hill. And yes, I know he's technically a corner, but he played both in college and with his speed and the way he tackles I think he would thrive at strong safety.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If Awuzie is back, we can play CTB at safety with Hill. And yes, I know he's technically a corner, but he played both in college and with his speed and the way he tackles I think he would thrive at strong safety.

That is a great point and something I mentioned even during the regular season and in the Playoffs. CTB looks like he can play Safety 
no problem and he is a bit proven unlike any rookie we would add. Still would like a Vet but this proposition makes me feel much better
about the entire situation. Bunch of Vets out there to be had too.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 10:57 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Thanks for proving my point.  The safeties were so good that they could replace 3 starting corners and still make the Super Bowl.
Those safeties are now GONE.

Those safeties were also the starters in 2020 when we only won 4 games. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 08:07 PM)TheFan Wrote: Those safeties were also the starters in 2020 when we only won 4 games. 

True, it is not like they didn't have their struggles. The clutch play in the Playoffs and the smarts of Bell are my only concerns.

Lou can teach whoever we bring in and Dax and Tycen with Michael Thomas's leadership enough to at least make it work.

This isn't a disaster even in the worse case scenario if both Dax and Tycen start who are 4.3 forty Safeties, crazy speed.

These guys can cover a lot of ground, unlike Bell who was a bit slow for a Safety. The range I think should be fine.
Reply/Quote
Somebody's being a tease...

[Image: aef661b90e0b81c6b9574f3976fe6012.jpg]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote