Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety upgrade?
Rumor has it that the Bengals are done in FA, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. But we all know that Mikey B has a propensity for "bargain bin" shopping toward the end of free agency ... Just so happens that there are quite a few safeties still on the market, which is one of the positions I'd like to see us upgrade. Top 5:

- Morgan Burnett - solid player, but 29 and being pursued by Bears and Browns.
- Tyrann Mathieu - very good, young player with significant injury history
- Kenny Vaccaro - younger player (27) who never realized his potential; some recent injury history
- Eric Reid - another young guy (26) with some recent injuries
- Tre Boston - mediocre career until last year, when he broke out for the Chargers (5 ints); looks to be a solid coverage FS and only 25

Burnett is probably out, and I have to believe that some team will pay Mathieu, as he can be an all pro if healthy.

Boston could be a one-year wonder, but he was a bargain on a one-year, $1 mil. deal last year. Vaccaro and Reid are former first rounders, which seems in the Bengals' wheelhouse. I never really loved Vaccaro's game, as he's more of an in-the-box guy than a coverage safety. But I can't believe that no one has kicked the tires on Reid -- apparently he's drawn no interest at all, which he claims is related to protesting. Reid's stats have gone down a bit over the years, but that's arguably because he's been playing out of position at SS/LB-hybrid.

What do you guys think? If we could get Vaccaro, Reid, or Boston on a short-term deal worth $3-5 mil/yr -- or even better, an Eifert-like incentive-laden contract -- would you bite? Are Reid (protest issues) and Vaccaro (PED suspension) worth the trouble? Would one of these guys potentially be a cheaper upgrade over Iloka ($6 mil/yr) or Williams ($4 mil/yr)? I'm thinking yes.
Reply/Quote
Well Reid thinks hes being black balled for protesting.... And says dispite him not getting offers he wont go cheap.

so he might not be playing football for a while lol.

Mike Mitchell was also cut today don't know how old or anything he is. but its another Saftey Option to look at and knows the aFC N
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 11:32 AM)shanebo Wrote: Rumor has it that the Bengals are done in FA, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.  But we all know that Mikey B has a propensity for "bargain bin" shopping toward the end of free agency ...  Just so happens that there are quite a few safeties still on the market, which is one of the positions I'd like to see us upgrade.  Top 5:

- Morgan Burnett - solid player, but 29 and being pursued by Bears and Browns.
- Tyrann Mathieu - very good, young player with significant injury history
- Kenny Vaccaro - younger player (27) who never realized his potential; some recent injury history
- Eric Reid - another young guy (26) with some recent injuries
- Tre Boston - mediocre career until last year, when he broke out for the Chargers (5 ints); looks to be a solid coverage FS and only 25

Burnett is probably out, and I have to believe that some team will pay Mathieu, as he can be an all pro if healthy.  

Boston could be a one-year wonder, but he was a bargain on a one-year, $1 mil. deal last year.  Vaccaro and Reid are former first rounders, which seems in the Bengals' wheelhouse.  I never really loved Vaccaro's game, as he's more of an in-the-box guy than a coverage safety.  But I can't believe that no one has kicked the tires on Reid -- apparently he's drawn no interest at all, which he claims is related to protesting.  Reid's stats have gone down a bit over the years, but that's arguably because he's been playing out of position at SS/LB-hybrid.

What do you guys think?  If we could get Vaccaro, Reid, or Boston on a short-term deal worth $3-5 mil/yr -- or even better, an Eifert-like incentive-laden contract -- would you bite?  Are Reid (protest issues) and Vaccaro (PED suspension) worth the trouble?  Would one of these guys potentially be a cheaper upgrade over Iloka ($6 mil/yr) or Williams ($4 mil/yr)?  I'm thinking yes.

The Badger probably wont happen, but Vaccaro and Burnett would be great.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I would like to bring in Boston or Vaccarro. Liked Vaccarro a lot in college and think he would be a better cover Safety than
Shawn. Boston seems more what we need though cause we need a guy that can pick off the QB at Safety. If not Boston i
could see us moving Josh Shaw to the FS spot if Shawn doesn't play well or we don't draft a ballhawk Safety.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 01:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well Reid thinks hes being black balled for protesting....   And says dispite him not getting offers he wont go cheap.

Mike Mitchell was also cut today  don't know how old or anything he is. but its another Saftey Option to look at and knows the aFC N

If Mike Mitchell becomes a Bengals, I'm gone. Dude is an intentional head hunter. He's trash.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Mike Mitchell becomes a Bengals, I'm gone. Dude is an intentional head hunter. He's trash.

Yeah i didn't even acknowledge that thought.
Reply/Quote
I expect drafting one instead of a 1 year FA signing. One reason is looking at next year, we're approaching 20 players whose contracts expire then. Getting extensions done this year is taking on even more prominence. Just to mention a few: Atkins, Dunlap, Eifert, Kroft, Dennard, Harris, Rey ..... it's getting into some serious money to either re-sign who we want and/or replace those we don't want (or can't re-sign).

Once we get Center and one more Olineman out of the way, I expect this draft to focus on LB, TE, S, and CB
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 01:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well Reid thinks hes being black balled for protesting....   And says dispite him not getting offers he wont go cheap.

Mike Mitchell was also cut today  don't know how old or anything he is. but its another Saftey Option to look at and knows the aFC N

I believe if Mitchell stepped into our locker room, he might face death or dismemberment, and rightfully so.  His sukkiness has finally caught up to him.  Unemployment is too good for him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Mike Mitchell becomes a Bengals, I'm gone. Dude is an intentional head hunter. He's trash.

Yeah.  He put his full every thing into beheading AJ and Eifert.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 08:39 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah.  He put his full every thing into beheading AJ and Eifert.

Definately one of the dirtiest Stealers i have seen and that is saying something.

If he was a Bengal doing that he would of been out of the league his first year here.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If he was a Bengal doing that he would of been out of the league tarred and feathered his first year here.

Fixed it for ya
Reply/Quote
Wait. Mike Mitchell is available? I’d like them to sign him purely to see Fritz’ reaction.
Reply/Quote

Mitchell has to be 31 or turning 31 soon........  no thanks.
Same, and he's just an arrogant D bag for no reason.

He's not even good but somehow thinks he's God's gift to football.  He was beyond lucky to be drafted where he was and to still be in the league.
(03-18-2018, 09:46 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Wait. Mike Mitchell is available? I’d like them to sign him purely to see Fritz’ reaction.

I'd murder someone...........

It would seriously be hard for me to root for this team........   and that's saying something considering all I've stuck with them through.
Reply/Quote
Ronnie Harrison in round 2. Bottom line.
Daniels in round 1
Ronnie Harrison in round 2
Darius Leonard in round 3
Orlando brown round 3 come pick
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 06:32 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I expect drafting one instead of a 1 year FA signing. One reason is looking at next year, we're approaching 20 players whose contracts expire then. Getting extensions done this year is taking on even more prominence. Just to mention a few: Atkins, Dunlap, Eifert, Kroft, Dennard, Harris, Rey ..... it's getting into some serious money to either re-sign who we want and/or replace those we don't want (or can't re-sign).

Once we get Center and one more Olineman out of the way, I expect this draft to focus on LB, TE, S, and CB

Here's the thing about it though.  At Safety, once you get past the top 2 or 3, you're likely looking at guys that'll take a year or two, sometimes longer, to develop into starters.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing about it though.  At Safety, once you get past the top 2 or 3, you're likely looking at guys that'll take a year or two, sometimes longer, to develop into starters.

Daniels in 1
Orlando brown round 3 comp pick.
Problem solved. Harrison comes in immediately and upgrades the position with a night and day difference and we still get the center we need. We get an actual stud linebacker in Leonard who can fly and make tackles all over cover tight ends and come in the first 4 weeks with burfict out and ball out with brown....cuz vigil rey and Evans are allergic to playing well consistently... Then Orlando brown With the 3rd comp pick gives us our replacement for andre on the right side.
Problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:23 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Daniels in 1
Orlando brown round 3 comp pick.  
Problem solved.  Harrison comes in immediately and upgrades the position with a night and day difference and we still get the center we need.  We get an actual stud linebacker in Leonard who can fly and make tackles all over cover tight ends and come in the first 4 weeks with burfict out and ball out with brown....cuz vigil rey and Evans are allergic to playing well consistently...  Then Orlando brown With the 3rd comp pick gives us our replacement for andre on the right side.
Problem solved.

I can get on board with all of that, except Daniels.  I just don't see him as a good fit for the division we play in.

Quote:Weaknesses Played lighter than he needs to be as a pro. Has to continue to add functional mass to his frame. Power at the point of attack is average. Bull-rushers make him work overtime to maintain his anchor. Will struggle to recover if nose guards get hands on him first. Target points can be too high in pass sets causing hands to slide up and off opponent. Gets in a hurry to climb on top of second level linebacker and will leave initial block unsecured for guard next to him. Scheme didn't allow for much drive blocking.

Sure, he might "grow" into the role.  But pretty much what you were in College, is what you're going to be as a Pro.  It says right there that he struggles with nose guards and bull-rushers.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can get on board with all of that, except Daniels.  I just don't see him as a good fit for the division we play in.

Sure, he might "grow" into the role.  But pretty much what you were in College, is what you're going to be as a Pro.  It says right there that he struggles with nose guards and bull-rushers.

Are u a negative Nancy or do u have a solution lol na I’m just playing but for example, who do u prefer at 21? As I’ve stated in my mocks I’ll take any one of the three center prospect worthy of 21 with price Daniels and Wynn? IMO if Wynn is there I’d probably go that route....your thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 03:39 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Are u a negative Nancy or do u have a solution lol na I’m just playing but for example, who do u prefer at 21?  As I’ve stated in my mocks I’ll take any one of the three center prospect worthy of 21 with price Daniels and Wynn?  IMO if Wynn is there I’d probably go that route....your thoughts?

As far as OL?  If you don't feel like Price will be there at 46, you take him at 21, or trade back a few more spots and pick up another 2nd or 3rd.  Or, if a Derwin James is sitting there at 21, he would be hard to resist.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind to see the Bengals stay at 21, and then package a few of the later picks to gain another 2nd round pick.  It would really be nice to see this team get the Center they want, at least one more top lineman, a Safety and either LB or DL, all before the 4th round.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 04:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As far as OL?  If you don't feel like Price will be there at 46, you take him at 21, or trade back a few more spots and pick up another 2nd or 3rd.  Or, if a Derwin James is sitting there at 21, he would be hard to resist.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind to see the Bengals stay at 21, and then package a few of the later picks to gain another 2nd round pick.  It would really be nice to see this team get the Center they want, at least one more top lineman, a Safety and either LB or DL, all before the 4th round.

Agree with all that with Derwin I just can’t see him falling. Feel the same with Vea.

Rd.1 Derwin James
Rd.2 billy price
Rd.3 Darius Leonard
Rd.3 Orlando Brown
Rd.4 BJ hill
?^^^^
Reply/Quote