Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salary Cap going way up
(02-23-2024, 03:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't get why some of you guys want to bring Reader back. 

The hang up in Tee's deal is the guaranteed money. The cap rising doesn't change that. 

Reader is prob gonna miss close to half the season......better be looking at others he is no guarantee this year and may even be the end of the year before he is back to normal playing...Bengals need to sign a FA NT and then draft 2 in the draft.....( Sweat and Fiske).
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: FYI, these kind of massive jumps tend to reset markets. This doesn't help as much as you think as it just means agents will look for bigger deals. What it will do though is for positions that are depressed like HB you could now potentially get one of those more affordably relative tot he cap but a position like WR look for another massive jump there. Jefferson will set that market and Chase will look to break it.

This is right, if most agents take this angle, you could have more potential for a 2nd wave Orlando Brown Jr type signing.  I know they let him play LT but he was projected to get more.  So, though this probably leads to all the big money DTs getting fair money to stay home, the next wave could have value not just for a back, but maybe even a quality guard, TE or Safety.  They shouldn't have any problem having a RT, NT and maybe a UT upgrade by the draft PLUS some quality vets at these positions.

It's not just the money for this year that bails out the competition, it's the guarantee of that money and future money that Cincy may have issues matching, though they are coming around.  
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Uh, because he's one of if not the best run stopping DT in the league???

Uh, who's aging, going to likely miss 75% of the year, and may never be the same guy he was. And there's better options out there in FA. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Uh, because he's one of if not the best run stopping DT in the league???

Yeah, good luck stopping the run late in the year without Reader. If you think it was bad with him, imagine how bad we would be without him.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't get why some of you guys want to bring Reader back. 

The hang up in Tee's deal is the guaranteed money. The cap rising doesn't change that. 

Is that supposition because of historical or somebody has said this? I think it’s likely both. But this still helps us regardless of Tee.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: New cap numbers for all teams after today's announcement - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Bengals sitting 6th most at $74.2 mill with the 2023 rollover of $10.7 mill.

With the new cap numbers, only 7 teams are in the red currently.
One of which is CLE with -$7.7 mill.
BUF is the worst at -$41.3 mill.

Reminds me of Beane the Bills GM whining a year ago because they lost to us and we were so fortunate to have Joe, Tee, and Chase on rookie deals and insinuating our frustration was looming. They are still in salary cap hell and still can’t beat us. What a tool he was in that presser.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

(02-23-2024, 06:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, good luck stopping the run late in the year without Reader. If you think it was bad with him, imagine how bad we would be without him.

I think that Reader will be back but it will fair for both parties. I expect a 7-8 million FA to bolster the position group and add depth until Reader is 100%

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: FYI, these kind of massive jumps tend to reset markets. This doesn't help as much as you think as it just means agents will look for bigger deals. What it will do though is for positions that are depressed like HB you could now potentially get one of those more affordably relative tot he cap but a position like WR look for another massive jump there. Jefferson will set that market and Chase will look to break it.

Yup. There's going to be some contracts and extensions handed out this offseason that look silly to us, but it's just going to be the new reality. Players and agents know there's more money now and even more money in the near future and they're going to price themselves accordingly. Going to have to be a lot of revisions done to people's previously made FA signing and cap predictions.

I don't think Chase has a chance to break Jefferson setting the WR ceiling this offseason, though. Jefferson is averaging more yards per season (even with the injury last year) than Chase's career high. He has an OPOY award, got MVP votes, is a 1st Team All-Pro, and has a receiving yard title.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, good luck stopping the run late in the year without Reader. If you think it was bad with him, imagine how bad we would be without him.

He's been on the IR 3 times in 4 seasons with the Bengals and now he's heading into his age 30 season that he'll likely start on the PUP. Gotta move on.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Uh, who's aging, going to likely miss 75% of the year, and may never be the same guy he was. And there's better options out there in FA. 

Today, the same could be said about Joe Burrow. Love the one you're with.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Hell they could be running out of cash to put aside with Joe and anticipating JaMarr

(02-23-2024, 04:01 PM)Nepa Wrote: This increase -- which I believe significantly exceeded teams' expectations -- is going to bail out some of the Bengals competitors who were struggling with their caps, being over somewhat or with very little cap space. They may now keep some players they were going to jettison or sign some more free agents. Honest inquiry: Do the Bengals make enough as a franchise that they are delighted with this news, or are they feeling more competitive against big-market/rich-owner teams had there been a lower cap?

If the Bengals are too cash poor to compete in today's NFL with the ever growing guarantees, the league needs to require a sell or force the team to bring on a minority owner that can finance average-sized deals that, at the least, make the team competitive in the free agent market.

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 08:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think that Reader will be back but it will fair for both parties. I expect a 7-8 million FA to bolster the position group and add depth until Reader is 100%

Sounds good to me.

(02-23-2024, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's been on the IR 3 times in 4 seasons with the Bengals and now he's heading into his age 30 season that he'll likely start on the PUP. Gotta move on.

Sure, once we have a known replacement. In the meantime he shouldn't cost much and if he can be ready by mid to late season for a Playoff
and Super Bowl run that is more than fine with me. Need to add at least a couple of DT's, especially a known NT who we know can stop the run 
before we move on IMO.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 08:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If the Bengals are too cash poor to compete in today's NFL with the ever growing guarantees, the league needs to require a sell or force the team to bring on a minority owner that can finance average-sized deals that, at the least, make the team competitive in the free agent market.

Or change the stupid rule.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 09:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Or change the stupid rule.

The other problem is the cap skyrocketing is making it less and less effective for its intended purpose; to prevent rich teams from gutting teams with less cash. 
Reply/Quote
Waiting for Hobson's article to come along to tell us what that $30 million increase means in Bengal dollars.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 10:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: The other problem is the cap skyrocketing is making it less and less effective for its intended purpose; to prevent rich teams from gutting teams with less cash. 

Is there still a cap floor and if so, wouldn't it go up as well?
Reply/Quote
FWIW, I peg us at around $65 mil in functional cap space. Figuring we bring back Browning & Adomitis for the min (ERFA's), + our 1st rounder, plus bringing back 8 vet min types (D Sample, Irwin, Ford, Scharping, Tupou, etc), and pricing the Future's guys as PS guys not min guys.

That $65.9 mil is with 48 guys and a full PS of 16. With Tee tagged it is $45.8 and 49 guys signed. We use it to get to 53, then the other 8 picks are net cap neutral/slightly gaining us space.
Reply/Quote

Because right now we have BJ Hill as a starting tackle which leaves us with either Carter, Tufele or Bell as a starter at the other spot and the other 2 providing depth.  BJ Hill is also in the last year of his contract.  The Bengals arent stopping anybody with that line.  We already needed help this past season even with Reader.  You take him off the roster and its going to be even worse.  The Bengals need to add 2 or 3 quality defensive linemen this offseason either through FA signing or the draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 08:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If the Bengals are too cash poor to compete in today's NFL with the ever growing guarantees, the league needs to require a sell or force the team to bring on a minority owner that can finance average-sized deals that, at the least, make the team competitive in the free agent market.

That would never happen. Ever. Why would the league care that the bengals are at a financial competitive disadvantage. And we don’t know if they’re cash poor. I would bet they’re not. And they cash they pay out is most likely not cash from their bank, but loans from the banks with a nice 2+ Billion dollar asset franchise. Getting a loan for 100M would be like someone with a $100,000 net worth getting a loan for $10,000. With revenue coming in they can pay that loan off in 1 year very easily.
Reply/Quote