Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salary Cap going way up
(02-24-2024, 01:54 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That would never happen. Ever. Why would the league care that the bengals are at a financial competitive disadvantage. And we don’t know if they’re cash poor. I would bet they’re not. And they cash they pay out is most likely not cash from their bank, but loans from the banks with a nice 2+ Billion dollar asset franchise. Getting a loan for 100M would be like someone with a $100,000 net worth getting a loan for $10,000. With revenue coming in they can pay that loan off in 1 year very easily.

Of course it would never happen, but it should, in my opinion.  

Reply/Quote
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/five_teams_that_benefit_from_nfls_30_million_salary_cap_spike/s1_13132_40008624
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 10:28 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/five_teams_that_benefit_from_nfls_30_million_salary_cap_spike/s1_13132_40008624

Very interesting article. They list the Bengals as one of the teams to benefit from the unprecedented salary cap increase, noting they now have a lot of ammunition to sign Higgins and OL and defensive pieces.   But, on the other hand, they also mention the Chiefs as a big beneficiary, noting: "The Chiefs went from scrambling to find a way to retain both defensive tackle Chris Jones and cornerback L’Jarius Sneed with just $15.5M, to now having $27.7M and a good chance at keeping both. Jones is a top-five defensive tackle and will likely get paid as such. Sneed had a breakout 2023 season and will get a healthy raise from the $2.9M he made in 2023." 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:29 PM)Nepa Wrote: Very interesting article. They list the Bengals as one of the teams to benefit from the unprecedented salary cap increase, noting they now have a lot of ammunition to sign Higgins and OL and defensive pieces.   But, on the other hand, they also mention the Chiefs as a big beneficiary, noting: "The Chiefs went from scrambling to find a way to retain both defensive tackle Chris Jones and cornerback L’Jarius Sneed with just $15.5M, to now having $27.7M and a good chance at keeping both. Jones is a top-five defensive tackle and will likely get paid as such. Sneed had a breakout 2023 season and will get a healthy raise from the $2.9M he made in 2023." 

I don’t see how the larger salary cap numbers didn’t help every team out. But some were in such dead cap hell it won’t help much.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I was under the wrong impression that the TV revenue split only covered most of the salary cap. Turns out, per this article, it exceeds it.

So yeah the Bengals can spend to cap this year and still bank 30+ million?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t see how the larger salary cap numbers didn’t help every team out. But some were in such dead cap hell it won’t help much.

The Bills and Dolphins namely probably still won't afford to bring in much in FA or retain some of their big players.

Which is why I hope Wilkins from the Fins is able to hit the market and we can grab him up.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 08:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds good to me.

Sure, once we have a known replacement. In the meantime he shouldn't cost much and if he can be ready by mid to late season for a Playoff
and Super Bowl run that is more than fine with me. Need to add at least a couple of DT's, especially a known NT who we know can stop the run 
before we move on IMO.
We don't have any depth on the defensive line, so we definitely need to be active in free agency, especially since I think we should ease Reader back in to the mix.
(02-24-2024, 05:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Bills and Dolphins namely probably still won't afford to bring in much in FA or retain some of their big players.

Which is why I hope Wilkins from the Fins is able to hit the market and we can grab him up.

Wilkins is one of the better run stopping DTs in the league and had a good season as a pass rusher last season. I'd LOVE if we could get him.

What does everyone think this means for Chase? I'd hope we get him locked up early and then can pursue some free agents and it would be beneficial to both a she won't have to worry about injury and we don't have to worry about him having a huge year (and we win the Super Bowl) and him commanding stupid money.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 05:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Bills and Dolphins namely probably still won't afford to bring in much in FA or retain some of their big players.

I’ve come to the conclusion … and I was very late in doing so… that we aren’t going to win a SB w/o much better trenches. The DL had 43 sacks and 40% Trey. We were 30th in rushing yards per attempt. We know about the OL. Our running game sucks. I want Tee to stay on a fair deal. Legit for both sides. He’s not a top 5 receiver or top 10. He’s probably top 15. But to me go all out on the trenches. Indoctrinate Brown more at running back. Tell Mixon he’d better focus on being a third down back and receiver. He’d better work his butt off in pass pro. If he balks then adios.

Reply/Quote
This is a gift from God. That’s enough for Tee
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Tee 75M/3 years

There’s no reason not to sign that TODAY
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 08:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup. There's going to be some contracts and extensions handed out this offseason that look silly to us, but it's just going to be the new reality. Players and agents know there's more money now and even more money in the near future and they're going to price themselves accordingly. Going to have to be a lot of revisions done to people's previously made FA signing and cap predictions.

I don't think Chase has a chance to break Jefferson setting the WR ceiling this offseason, though. Jefferson is averaging more yards per season (even with the injury last year) than Chase's career high. He has an OPOY award, got MVP votes, is a 1st Team All-Pro, and has a receiving yard title.

I'd actually be shocked if there are these massive "market-reset" type deals.  Owners just don't operate that way.

What I do expect is a bunch of midlevel guys getting 2-3 million per year more than normal - which hurts us more than the top end deals going way up.
Reply/Quote
This is a huge win. QB contracts always devalue fairly quickly, but this gets that going in the right direction really quick with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 02:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'd actually be shocked if there are these massive "market-reset" type deals.  Owners just don't operate that way.

What I do expect is a bunch of midlevel guys getting 2-3 million per year more than normal - which hurts us more than the top end deals going way up.

They did in 2022.

2021 Salary Cap: $182.5m
2022 Salary Cap: $208.2m

We saw Christian Kirk get $18m/yr as a fake #1. Then AJ Brown/Stefon Diggs/DK Metcalf/Deebo Samuel/Terry McLaurin set the non-elite #1 WR market at the $23-25m/yr range. Plus we saw Adams and Tyreek reset the top market at $28m/yr and $30m/yr.

WRs making at least $17.5m/yr: 7
WRs making at least $20m/yr: 3
WRs making at least $25m/yr: 1

WRs making at least $17.5m/yr: 19
WRs making at least $20m/yr: 14
WRs making at least $25m/yr: 5

- - - - - - - --

The QB Market was largely the same thing...

QBs making at least $35m/yr: 5
QBs making at least $40m/yr: 3
QBs making at least $45m/yr: 1

QBs making at least $35m/yr: 10
QBs making at least $40m/yr: 9
QBs making at least $45m/yr: 5

- - - - - - - - -

The contract increases throughout the league from cap increases don't get equally spread out. The majority of it goes to the superstars and the premium positions. The money has to be spent, and the guys who are the most valuable have the most leverage.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It’s pretty simple. It helps all teams re-sign players. In our case we want to keep Tee. Joe & Chase want to keep Tee. Zac wants to keep Tee. Whether it works out who knows. But we are closer than we were. This team is one of the top 5 teams. We beat SF 31-17 vs their full strength defense on the road. We’ve beaten KC 3-5. We’ve beat Buffalo 2 straight easily. We were in total command. We need to get better in the trenches. Fix that and we are golden.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 06:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We don't have any depth on the defensive line, so we definitely need to be active in free agency, especially since I think we should ease Reader back in to the mix.

Wilkins is one of the better run stopping DTs in the league and had a good season as a pass rusher last season. I'd LOVE if we could get him.

What does everyone think this means for Chase? I'd hope we get him locked up early and then can pursue some free agents and it would be beneficial to both a she won't have to worry about injury and we don't have to worry about him having a huge year (and we win the Super Bowl) and him commanding stupid money.

I heard Reader might be ready sooner than some think as he said this wasn't as bad as his other quad injury but we cannot rely on it that 
is for sure. If Wilkins somehow is able to test the market we are the perfect fit. I just don't know if he will with the Fins also getting all this 
extra dough. Sheldon Rankins might be who we fall back on if all of Chris Jones, Madubuike and Wilkins are retained by their respective 
teams.

The Cap going up definitely helps with Chase. Hopefully we get a deal done before Justin Jefferson.

(02-24-2024, 10:27 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve come to the conclusion … and I was very late in doing so… that we aren’t going to win a SB w/o much better trenches. The DL had 43 sacks and 40% Trey. We were 30th in rushing yards per attempt. We know about the OL. Our running game sucks. I want Tee to stay on a fair deal. Legit for both sides. He’s not a top 5 receiver or top 10. He’s probably top 15. But to me go all out on the trenches. Indoctrinate Brown more at running back. Tell Mixon he’d better focus on being a third down back and receiver. He’d better work his butt off in pass pro. If he balks then adios.

Wow, that is saying something Soonerpeace. Completely agree. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 01:11 AM)Housh Wrote: This is a gift from God. That’s enough for Tee

Mike Evans 2 years 52M.

Tee gonna get around this. Would be higher but he’s always injured.

Ima predict 3 years 70M wherever he signs.

I’m not gonna go to 75 just yet but may depending on how the draft plays out
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 12:22 PM)Housh Wrote: Mike Evans 2 years 52M.

Tee gonna get around this.
Would be higher but he’s always injured.

Ima predict 3 years 70M wherever he signs.

I’m not gonna go to 75 just yet but may depending on how the draft plays out

Mike Evans has a larger, and much more consistent body of work.  Tee not in same tax bracket as Evans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 12:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mike Evans has a larger, and much more consistent body of work.  Tee not in same tax bracket as Evans.

Evans has shown more yes, but Higgins is 25, not 31 like Evans will be in September. You pay a premium for players in their mid 20's and maybe a slight discount for players over 30. 25M per/year will be the floor or baseline.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 12:38 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Evans has shown more yes, but Higgins is 25, not 31 like Evans will be in September. You pay a premium for players in their mid 20's and maybe a slight discount for players over 30. 25M per/year will be the floor or baseline.

So the team should pay Higgins as much as Evans even though he is not as good just because he is younger?  I would much rather have Evans at 26 million per year than Tee and its not even close.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 03:27 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So the team should pay Higgins as much as Evans even though he is not as good just because he is younger?  I would much rather have Evans at 26 million per year than Tee and its not even close.

Same here, Evans just produces and stays healthy unlike Tee.
Reply/Quote