Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Hubbard
Sam has been designated to return from IR. The team now has 3 weeks to activate him. Of course, we are hoping it will be this week.

No XSF yet so we're not likely to have him this week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I had high hopes for Hubbard coming into the season. I was hoping he'd take that next step and end up double digit in sacks.

For whatever reason, he didn't look great in the 5 games he played. So I'm hoping when he returns we can see him at least meet his previous level of play, if not exceed it.

Hubbard was guy I thought we should look into extending early, as he'll be going into his final year of his rookie deal in 2021. Hopefully he has a strong 2nd half of the season and we can still work something out. We may even get a healthier discount than normal, with him having an overall down year.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully, Hubbard is good to go for Pittsburgh. It's a shame that XSF may not be ready, but we had some actually okay guard play with Spain and Redmond, so maybe they can keep that train going.
Reply/Quote
Sam hasnt exactly defined dominance this year
Before the injury. I.think.he works hard and grinds
That said he's not a finisher. He doesnt create forced
Fumbles.
He reminds me of another DE that just left here.
Good enough to.secure his starting position.
But is he elite. No.
But hey around here if you can get 7 sacks a year
They build you a statue.
Reply/Quote
TBH Hubbard never struck me as a 3-4 OLB, but more as true 4-3 DE. Maybe our shifting more toward a 3-4 has made him as square peg in a round hole. I hope that's not the case because I'd love to keep him. It could also just be that we were playing from behind most of the first half of the year, at least for the games when he was healthy. Looking forward to the second half to see what he gives us.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 02:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I had high hopes for Hubbard coming into the season. I was hoping he'd take that next step and end up double digit in sacks.

For whatever reason, he didn't look great in the 5 games he played. So I'm hoping when he returns we can see him at least meet his previous level of play, if not exceed it.

Hubbard was guy I thought we should look into extending early, as he'll be going into his final year of his rookie deal in 2021. Hopefully he has a strong 2nd half of the season and we can still work something out. We may even get a healthier discount than normal, with him having an overall down year.

While he didn’t rack up sacks he did rank well in run defense efficiency I believe. There were some other threads I saw that had these numbers. I also hoped he would take that step as a pass rusher but really no one is getting home for whatever reason.
Reply/Quote
Man, hope Hubbard plays Sunday. We need a pass rush desperately.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 03:43 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: TBH Hubbard never struck me as a 3-4 OLB, but more as true 4-3 DE. Maybe our shifting more toward a 3-4 has made him as square peg in a round hole. I hope that's not the case because I'd love to keep him. It could also just be that we were playing from behind most of the first half of the year, at least for the games when he was healthy. Looking forward to the second half to see what he gives us.

This.  He's like 265 pounds.  He is now too small to be a 3-4 DE and too heavy to be a 3-4 OLB.  He has become a TWEENER in this HYBRID.  Lots of growing pains matching our players to new scheme this year.  I hope they take that into consideration when planning roster moves next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 05:22 PM)Yogo Wrote: This.  He's like 265 pounds.  He is now too small to be a 3-4 DE and too heavy to be a 3-4 OLB.  He has become a TWEENER in this HYBRID.  Lots of growing pains matching our players to new scheme this year.  I hope they take that into consideration when planning roster moves next year.

Bud Dupree is 269 pounds and plays the edge in a 3-4.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 06:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bud Dupree is 269 pounds and plays the edge in a 3-4.

Dupree has  better get of explosion.at the snap.
Reply/Quote
Regardless of our expectations of Sam and his not reaching them; the team is better with him on the field.

Here's to hoping he's good to go.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 05:22 PM)Yogo Wrote: This.  He's like 265 pounds.  He is now too small to be a 3-4 DE and too heavy to be a 3-4 OLB.  He has become a TWEENER in this HYBRID.  Lots of growing pains matching our players to new scheme this year.  I hope they take that into consideration when planning roster moves next year.

Which begs the question... Why change the scheme when you don't have the guys to do it?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:30 PM)jason Wrote: Which begs the question... Why change the scheme when you don't have the guys to do it?

Maybe because we sucked under the old scheme
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe because we sucked under the old scheme

We suck with this one too. Now what?

Reply/Quote
The scheme issue is overblown we ran a lot of the same stuff under Zimmer and Marvin as we do with Lou. The problem with the line has been injury and curious coaching decisions.

Has for Hubbard he is a good football player more similar to MJ than he compares to Lawson or Dunlap. He should give us a huge boost on Sunday.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Regardless of our expectations of Sam and his not reaching them; the team is better with him on the field.

This, and put same with the other pieces on pitt's front four and see how he does.  He might have been able to get 10 sacks or more this season if he stayed healthy, but more importantly needed a healthy Geno, Reader, Lawson, and sometimes Dunlap creating pressure from their spots.  How easy is it for any NFL QB to step up and to his right inside the massive looping arc where Dunlap takes himself out of the play.  

You can't just add a great edge rusher and make a defensive line great.  Regardless, as you said, they are better with Hubbard on the field.  Hoping he is out there. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Regardless of our expectations of Sam and his not reaching them; the team is better with him on the field.

For a third round pick I definitely think he's producing where I'd like him to, especially considering there's d-linemen picked before him that year that he's out performing or are straight up out of the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 06:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bud Dupree is 269 pounds and plays the edge in a 3-4.

Dupree is far more athletic. Hubbard's real strength is stopping the run, imo. There are lots of 3-4 OLBs around the NFL with his dimensions, but the question is more whether Sam has the athletic traits to play in space. 

With that said, I certainly do want him back on Sunday. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 12:13 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Dupree is far more athletic. Hubbard's real strength is stopping the run, imo. There are lots of 3-4 OLBs around the NFL with his dimensions, but the question is more whether Sam has the athletic traits to play in space. 

With that said, I certainly do want him back on Sunday. 

Sam Hubbard is very athletic and is solid in coverage and space. What you are talking about is twitch and no he is not a twitched up player. 

Look at Carl Lawson he is not as athletic as Hubbard. Lawson is very stiff in the hips and ankles he doesnt play well in coverage or falling off into space but he does explode of the line of scrimmage.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I just hope he plays Sunday.
Reply/Quote