Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sam Hubbard Extended
4 year 40 Million is the initial report.
Reply/Quote
awesome...now lets get Bates done

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:06 PM)pally Wrote: awesome...now lets get Bates done

I'm guessing he's next. Hubbard's was probably much easier since he wasn't resetting the market for his position, in fact if he plays even a little better than he has the deal is really team friendly from an AAV point of view.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope he's more 2019 Hubbard than 2020 Hubbard for that contract.

They do keep dropping an awful lot of money on a terrible defense and a terrible DC. Hopefully both take a huge stride forward this season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I sure hope he's more 2019 Hubbard than 2020 Hubbard for that contract.

They do keep dropping an awful lot of money on a terrible defense and a terrible DC. Hopefully both take a huge stride forward this season.

Less when you consider it's an extension and spread out over 5 years. Actually a solid rate for a second tier defensive end.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:08 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm guessing he's next. Hubbard's was probably much easier since he wasn't resetting the market for his position, in fact if he plays even a little better than he has the deal is really team friendly from an AAV point of view.

Bates will get slightly below what Jamal Adams will get.  The $64 million question is which one signs first to set the market

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If we assume he keeps his salary for 2021 and the 4 years start in 2022 (which is what it appears to be), his entire remaining contract is 5 years for 42.4 million dollars.

That makes him the 30th highest paid edge defender, on average, in the NFL.

Can't be mad about a contract like that. Hopefully, they front loaded the hell out of the contract to take advantage of all this cap space we have this year.

Bates next :)
Reply/Quote
A lot of Steeler fans laughing and saying how overpaid this deal was. Even looking objectively, I disagree, and he’s still young with upside. He’s already a solid run stopper, and I believe w a good chance to show a little more as a pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Less when you consider it's an extension and spread out over 5 years. Actually a solid rate for a second tier defensive end.

Oh, I wasn't saying that Hubbard himself was a ton of money. I do know it's solid tier 2 money for DE and shouldn't be a bad contract. I meant as a whole on the defense over the last couple years. Waynes, Hubbard, Reader, Hendrickson, Bell, etc... at some point all those contracts needs to turn into a quality defense. I hope this is the year. Otherwise what's the point paying guys considering you can just as easily have a bad defense with cheap players. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Good news. Think it’s a reasonable deal for a solid enough player. Definitely one of the leaders of the team so important to get him to commit.

Bates is the big one
Reply/Quote
Jake Liscow - "A bit of Hubbard contract analysis refinement. He's due $2.4M this year and $40M over the life of the extension, some (signing bonus, 1st year roster bonus) of which will be this year. So the next 5 years of Hubbard will come in at 8.48m APY."

Not bad..
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Hubbard is a try hard guy. This year he needs to
Really needs to take his game to another level.
He has the build and a decent motor.
But he has to finish more and be a difference maker
He needs to add technique to his pass rush and counter moves
His get off needs to be faster
Id like to.see him get 10 plus sacks this year
When was the last time a Bengals DE achieved that?
Dunlap in 2015?
Reply/Quote
Good deal for a good player. I am hoping that our two new starters on the DL will combine with Hubbard to give us back the pressure from up front we used to always enjoy.
Reply/Quote
Nice. Seems like a good deal for both sides.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:25 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: A lot of Steeler fans laughing and saying how overpaid this deal was.   

If Steelers fans think it is bad, then I am in full support of the contract.
Reply/Quote
NFL.com has an article about it. Their lack of knowledge of the Bengals is humorous.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sam-hubbard-bengals-agree-to-4-year-40-million-extension

“The Bengals have locked up their best edge rusher”… uhhh what?

Then in his highlights they have a Logan Wilson interception. All these white guys looks so similar….
Reply/Quote
Great work by the Bengals front office, on securing a solid player that wants to be here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 06:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: NFL.com has an article about it. Their lack of knowledge of the Bengals is humorous.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sam-hubbard-bengals-agree-to-4-year-40-million-extension

“The Bengals have locked up their best edge rusher”… uhhh what?

Then in his highlights they have a Logan Wilson interception. All these white guys looks so similar….

lol Hubbard tipped the pass that Logan picked, if it's the Bmore INT.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:25 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: A lot of Steeler fans laughing and saying how overpaid this deal was.   Even looking objectively, I disagree, and he’s still young with upside.   He’s already a solid run stopper, and I believe w a good chance to show a little more as a pass rusher.

Steelers fans are laughing because they are used to.seeing
Better sack numbers from their pass rushers.
Hubbard had only 2.5 sacks last year and he gets
A extension.
Of course Steelers fans are laughing
Would their franchise pay out the same extension
To a player to similar numbers as Hubbard...
Probably not. 
Just matters what side of the fence you are
Bengals fans applaud it
Steelers fans laugh at it
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: 4 year 40 Million is the initial report.

$8 mil/year is where I had him, so the money seems right to me depending on how much is guaranteed.
Reply/Quote