Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Wyche has passed away
(01-02-2020, 05:22 PM)Fullrock Wrote: "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati." One of the greatest quotes in sports history in my book!
Sam was an innovative coach and a motivator. Sad day for Bengals fans.

I was a kid when he was here, but I always loved that clip.

Sad news.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
RIP Sam. A Bengals legend.
Reply/Quote
My favorite Bengals coach of all time. He was smart, innovative, and told it like it was. Rest In Peace, Coach.
Reply/Quote
Very sad day for the Bengals. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Great coach, great guy. R.I.P. Sam.

Reply/Quote
The Bengal teams under Sam were fun to watch. It's sad that he died relatively early and that his "You don't live in Cleveland" quote dogged him. He would have done better down in Tampa with better talent, but that started arriving after he was fired.
Reply/Quote
What a great person and character.

The "you don't live in Cleveland" comment was classic but my favorite was when the local media asked him if he regretted kicking the field goal against the Oilers with no time on the clock to make the score 61 - 7. Sam's response: "Yes, I regret there wasn't more time on the clock to score a touchdown". Classic Sam.
Reply/Quote
My all time favorite Bengal....this one obviously gets me in the "feels". When Sammie and his staff were running the show, this was an up and coming, innovative team. The sugar huddle was devised here, running no huddle as base offense, the 3-4 zone blitz was developed, zone blocking techniques were being perfected, and he even went on to draft the lynchpins of the Super Bowl winning Bucs team in Brooks, Lynch, and Sapp. Sam was ahead of the curve at all times. Sad day for Bengals fans, sad day for me. Fly high coach, and thanks for the memories.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
With any luck this team will spawn another creative mind like Sam's, but I have my doubts it'll be anytime soon. He'll be missed.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 09:47 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: What a great person and character.  

The "you don't live in Cleveland" comment was classic but my favorite was when the local media asked him if he regretted kicking the field goal against the Oilers with no time on the clock to make the score 61 - 7.  Sam's response: "Yes, I regret there wasn't more time on the clock to score a touchdown".  Classic Sam.

Yeah, there was no love lost between Sam and Jerry Glanville. I loved every second of Sam running up the score on him that day!
Reply/Quote
Sam was a great coach. He actually had respect and fans loved him. I think he would say his greatest accomplishment was the heart transplant. Living is first, football second.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I've been avoiding this thread because I hatedto hear. But I didn't want it to sink into Jungle Noise oblivion without saying something. RIP Wyche.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I still will not forgive Mike Brown for firing Sam. It was his first of many blunders for nearly 3 decades. Sam will be missed.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Seen this flash across the screen on ESPN last night, it was devastating to me. A great beloved coach, and to me; an even better person. Gone, but never forgotten; God bless your family in dealing with this loss.
Reply/Quote
Was very sad when I heard the news. Pretty sure he just went through a major heart surgery or replacement in the past 2 years? Was a tough guy and a Bengals legend, hopefully Mikey B will do something to honor him at PBS going forward.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote