Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sample 0 Catches
I wanted to bring up something that we can all agree on, Sample is just useless out there. What a joke.

I’ve seen teams alleviate pressure by utilizing TEs as that quick safety net ala Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but have we even tried? No, he’s just out there for blocking… Just put in a lineman as eligible receiver to do his job. Either that or actually throw some short stuff over the middle.

I’ve defended Sandra a lot, but at this point it’s pathetic, there is absolutely no reason to use him as a blocker if he contributes nothing in the pass game. He isn’t fooling anyone.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wanted to bring up something that we can all agree on, Sample is just useless out there. What a joke.

I’ve seen teams alleviate pressure by utilizing TEs as that quick safety net ala Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but have we even tried?  No, he’s just out there for blocking… Just put in a lineman as eligible receiver to do his job. Either that or actually throw some short stuff over the middle.

I’ve defended Sandra a lot, but at this point it’s pathetic, there is absolutely no reason to use him as a blocker if he contributes nothing in the pass game. He isn’t fooling anyone.

Yea, I always thought Mike's niece Sandra was an interesting choice at TE too 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:40 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Yea, I always thought Mike's niece Sandra was an interesting choice at TE too 

My phone auto corrected to Sandra, but I thought it fit lol
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wanted to bring up something that we can all agree on, Sample is just useless out there. What a joke.

I’ve seen teams alleviate pressure by utilizing TEs as that quick safety net ala Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but have we even tried? No, he’s just out there for blocking… Just put in a lineman as eligible receiver to do his job. Either that or actually throw some short stuff over the middle.

Shiiiiiit…you miss the “Sample is a bum” thread? There was plenty of people defending him. And I’m sure there still are.

I hated the pick, and he’s done absolutely nothing to change my mind. His most memorable plays so far have been Myles Jack stealing a TD away from him like a bully taking a kid’s lunch money, and getting destroyed by a couple DE’s. The play where he tripped over his own feet on the sideline last year was pretty funny, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Shiiiiiit…you miss the “Sample is a bum” thread? There was plenty of people defending him. And I’m sure there still are.

I hated the pick, and he’s done absolutely nothing to change my mind. His most memorable plays so far have been Myles Jack stealing a TD away from him like a bully taking a kid’s lunch money, and getting destroyed by a couple DE’s. The play where he tripped over his own feet on the sideline last year was pretty funny, too.

Ya, I’m missing that thread wholeheartedly… I should’ve dug it up. Either way, he whiffs on blocks that lead to sacks and should be replaced by Fred Johnson.
Reply/Quote
Hes not really there to catch 50 balls though. To anyone who may be a TE enthusiast is he at least a good blocker? If he was I feel like hed be playing more. But then again if he was pure trash Moss wouldve beat him out so hes doing SOMETHING.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:51 PM)Housh Wrote: Hes not really there to catch 50 balls though. To anyone who may be a TE enthusiast is he at least a good blocker? If he was I feel like hed be playing more. But then again if he was pure trash Moss wouldve beat him out so hes doing SOMETHING.

He whiffed on a block in week 1 that sent Burrow limping off the field.  Maybe he was better when no one was looking?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:51 PM)Housh Wrote: Hes not really there to catch 50 balls though. To anyone who may be a TE enthusiast is he at least a good blocker? If he was I feel like hed be playing more. But then again if he was pure trash Moss wouldve beat him out so hes doing SOMETHING.

I just don’t think TE blocking can be nearly as effective if you aren’t some type of threat in the passing game. Defenses know he isn’t getting the ball, so all they need to do is get past him. Again, ditch Sandra and put in a 6th lineman if you aren’t going to throw to them occasionally.
Reply/Quote
I saw him listed as a breakout candidate on several sites this year. Horrible pick... Horrible player. It goes back to Taylor trying to copy his buddy who drafted Gerald Everett really high.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I hated the pick as well and he will most certainly never live up to the 2nd Rd pick we spent on him. He does have his moments blocking but those moments are not trying to block a DE in pass pro. He's had some blocks in the run game and out in the secondary blocking for WR. I watched the Jax game and 2nd Browns game from last year again when they replayed them during the summer and I was kind of shocked how many times Sample flashed in the passing game. Maybe because I didn't think highly of him but he had quite a few plays where he catches a short pass and gets north and south quickly and picks up the 1st down. I think they need to let Uzomah get down field on his receptions and give Sample those passes in the flat and screens.

But I completely agree they need to think about bringing in an extra tackle in certain situations. Like when we had a 3rd and 1 and we ask Chase to block the safety maybe bring a tackle in there everyone knows your running anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He whiffed on a block in week 1 that sent Burrow limping off the field.  Maybe he was better when no one was looking?

Well in his defense he should never be blocking an elite edge player like Hunter.

Sample wasn't a good pick in the 2nd Rd. If he was drafted in the 5th or 6th I don't think there would be as much complaining. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
To be fair that was a terrible draft class starting with our original pick in RD 2. Denver traded up with us and took Drew Lock, who is currently a backup.

I know about DK Metcalf and AJ Brown, but I don't recall too many clamoring for those folks around here.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: To be fair that was a terrible draft class starting with our original pick in RD 2. Denver traded up with us and took Drew Lock, who is currently a backup.

I know about DK Metcalf and AJ Brown, but I don't recall too many clamoring for those folks around here.

Metcalf was panned by most in the draft forum for his poor change of direction.  I think AJ Brown was widely seen as a 1st round talent.  Plus, we still thought we had prime AJ Green.  Board consensus was DL in 1 and T in 2, but then Jonah fell into our lap.  

Sample isn't going to get targets in an offense with Chase, Tee, and Boyd, though, nor should he.  
Reply/Quote

I’ve seen teams alleviate pressure by utilizing TEs as that quick safety net ala Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but have we even tried?  No, he’s just out there for blocking… Just put in a lineman as eligible receiver to do his job. Either that or actually throw some short stuff over the middle.

Sample is nowhere near as useless as a TE as Brandon Wilson is as a KR.  He's been complete trash the first two weeks.  Makes horrible decisions on bringing it out, totally ineffective as a returner, kills our field position, and that football follies episode against the Bears.  
Reply/Quote
Let's be honest the whole 2019 draft was a joke, Jonah (when healthy) has been the single asset we have pulled from that draft.

2 - Sample = bust
3 - Pratt = hasn't worked out like most other LBers we have swung and missed on, still on roster but......
4 - Finley - not in the NFL
4 - Wren = laughable, cut now on PS has done nothing
5 - Michael Jordan got Joe Burrow injured
6 - T Williams - mop up play
6 - D Davis who? another busted LBer pick
6 - Rodney Anderson - another swing and miss on a good but injured player
7 - Jordan Brown - like the other Jordan we drafted this year did nothing and is now selling cars at Joe Morgan Honda
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
There’s still hope for Pratt.

Reply/Quote

But how many sacks and tackles does cam sample have?
Reply/Quote
I think they are using Uzomah more ,motioning him
Into a FB position more pre snap.
Uzomah is clearly getting more reps than Sample
Sample is very limited in what he gives a offense.
When Sample is in.the game usually it's a tip off
Its a running play.
The Bengals could cut him tomorrow and I bet at best
He goes on a practice squad.
He isnt a threat to get YAC. Defenses don't have
To commit their best coverage LB on him when
He does go downfield for his typical checkdown route
Reply/Quote
Bad pick for sure. The best way to use Sample or the tight ends in general would have been to have them stay in and chip block a DE like Mack Versus Sample blocking a DE 1 on 1 and getting smoked like vs. the Vikings and in the past. It’s better then him running routes and not getting open. We have 3 stud WR’s I’d be fine with keeping the TE in on some plays. The other issue is a lot of tight ends are used as security blanks in the passing game with short throws underneath to help the QB. The issue is we have idiotic game plans and everyone in the Chicago game is running short routes with everyone in the same area and we’re not spreading the field
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:14 PM)jason Wrote: I saw him listed as a breakout candidate on several sites this year. Horrible pick... Horrible player. It goes back to Taylor trying to copy his buddy who drafted Gerald Everett really high.

Probably a nail meet hammer statement. I've tried to hold out hope that Sample will come around. The hope is all but gone.

And agree if he never catches a pass his ability to be successful as a blocker erodes. 
Reply/Quote