Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample Earns Strong Review
(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good to hear  Andy

I really think Sample will be a big part of the plan this coming season.

I hope you're right buddy.  I wasn't happy with the pick at first, but I'm warming up to it, slowly.
[Image: tigerteeth.gif]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 03:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is great. He's as fundamental as any coach could ask. I believe he will make all realize he was chosen at the right spot and also make others stand and respect the knowledge of ZT and this staff. As has been said many times, most of these coaches are college coaches who know what an asset this guy brings to the Bengals. They were not swayed by the numbers. This kid is going to be solid brick in the foundation of the offense as long as he stays healthy.

Wasn't Reggie Kelly drafted in the second round?  The most "Meh" player at the time but man could that guy block.  I mean Textbook blocking.  
[Image: sphvf4.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 08:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Wasn't Reggie Kelly drafted in the second round?  The most "Meh" player at the time but man could that guy block.  I mean Textbook blocking.  

I don't remember when Reggie Kelly was Drafted but what is nice about Sample is he caught pretty much everything thrown to him and was the best blocker in this Draft class. Sample is more of a complete TE then Kelly already and can grow in the passing game big time still. Also, this strong review is better news than some are giving credit as he is picking up the mental side of the game already.

Sometimes players like Dawson just don't have this part of the game and it doesn't matter how talented a player is if he doesn't.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 07:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Who are the most that had Wilson dropping to the 4th or 5th round? I saw not a single site that had Wilson dropping. I would love to see a link to this info.

Again these sites really don't matter. What matters is the assessment of actual NFL teams and the info coming out is that many teams had Sample valued just as highly as the Bengals did.

I didn't see him dropping that far, but he does have tackling issues.
He played on the "BAMA"

He was interviewed by some LB needy teams, and they all passed on him, so not sure what happened.

One thing to note, recent Bama LB's have had character issues and been getting in legal trouble, so maybe the ding on his character held him back.
Reply/Quote
Mack Wilson was a top 5 overall recruit in his class and viewed as a future star at bama. He didn't play extensively until he was a soph, and he never really set the world on fire. He was a good player on a great defense. Had issues tackling and also didn't show well in his drops.

I would have rather had him than Davis, and I think 4th round would be good value for a guy who has his talent, but I'm not losing sleep over the fact that we missed out on him.
I'm just gonna go find a cash machine. 

Reply/Quote
I was among those who had the “WTF” initial reaction to the Sample pick. Other than glossing over his name on prospect lists, I had no clue who he was. After learning more about him and that he brings a good blocking skill set and has some upside as a pass catcher, I not only understand the pick, I am on board with it.

For me the best part of it is that I can see a direction being taken. I see moves being made to improve the running game and Sample makes perfect sense in that pursuit. He’s not the flashy pick you might expect or want in the second round but I think it’s a refreshing change over flashy picks that don’t make sense.
Reply/Quote