Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample over Uzomah?
(07-18-2021, 09:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: For whatever reason.ZT and BC just dont value TEs
That can attack the seams and are dangerous
After the catch. Sample is the better blocker but Uzomah
Is better at going vertical.
Right now since JB needs all the protection he can
Get,Sample gets the spot at 1st on the depth chart

If you look.at the TEs they brought on board none really
Put it.up in college. Wells was a non factor.OGrady has
Measureables but not much else. Moss gets a lookie
Cause JB was throwing to.him at LSU.

If Uzomah or Sample go .down your depth at TE gets challenged

I think their NFL-highest % in 11 personnel was more of a function of the injuries to Uzo and lack of quality depth at TE.  It won't become their base formation, but I believe we will see more of 12 personnel than last year by some margin.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 09:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: that might be cause Uz is still returning from injury   pre camp depth charts dont mean a ton

Under Marvin Lewis I would agree with this statement.  Not so sure with Taylor.

(07-19-2021, 10:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think their NFL-highest % in 11 personnel was more of a function of the injuries to Uzo and lack of quality depth at TE.  It won't become their base formation, but I believe we will see more of 12 personnel than last year by some margin.  

11 has been our base offensive formation for 2 seasons now.  With the addition of Chase, they are not going to take Higgins or Boyd off the field in favor of a TE unless down, distance, and field position dictate it.
Reply/Quote
We are pretty obviously going to be in a 3 WR Single Back set. This leaves the TE to assist in blocking, and Sample is quite good in that function.
Reply/Quote
I see CJ uzomah getting cut..
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 10:40 PM)Tony Wrote: I see CJ uzomah getting cut..

I'd be absolutely shocked if that happened. 

They are already down Cethan Carter from last year, and their depth at the positon completely hinges on Uzomah coming up back healthy.  If they elected to cut him now, with his over 6 million dollar sallary and 5+ million in cap savings, that would be almost unbelievable.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 11:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd be absolutely shocked if that happened. 

They are already down Cethan Carter from last year, and their depth at the positon completely hinges on Uzomah coming up back healthy.  If they elected to cut him now, with his over 6 million dollar sallary and 5+ million in cap savings, that would be almost unbelievable.

"So Duke, are you going to spend that money to improve the team now?"
"No, we need it to save for some upcoming extensions for Burrow, Higgins, and Chase. (In 2024-2025, maybe.)"

...Nope, that's actually really believable for the Bengals. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 10:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I file this under:  "Great Problem to Have", but based on VERY early numbers for Uzomah (8/87 yards, 1 TD in less than two whole games), and the performance of Sample as both a blocker and receive, I think that we could see more 12 personnel than we are all imagining.  I know no one likes the idea of taking Boyd, Higgins, or Chase off the field, but two TE sets give tremendous flexibility and can help the rushing attack.

The addition of Moss, who is finally healthy and could provide quality depth, only further enhances this possibility.  

I still see Uzo as the #1 receiving TE, though.  Sample is a solid receiver and "chain mover", but Uzo is more dynamic downfield.  I think having both out there will be interesting.  It won't be the base formation by any stretch, but I think we will see it more than everyone around here expects after last season.  

I agree, it comes down to situational football , there will be times for 2 te, other times for 3wr, also defends on the defensive fronts and schemes each opponent has.
Reply/Quote
I would assume that Sample would be the starter over CJ. People get caught up in the receiving stats but the key for the TE in this offense is the Blocking. That is why Sample will get the majority of the snaps.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 12:17 PM)J24 Wrote: I would assume that Sample would be the starter over CJ. People get caught up in the receiving stats but the key for the TE in this offense is the Blocking. That is why Sample will get the majority of the snaps.

Then why pay Uzomah over 6 million dollars?  We could have saved 5.3 million by cutting him this year.

If you're right, and Sample does see the majority of the snaps, then this is a terrible use of cap management.  You don't leave 5+ million to sit on the bench when you could have spent that money fixing other problems (OL, LB, etc.)
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 02:00 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: We're sitting pretty good at TE considering one year our top 2 TEs were JP Foschi and Daniel Coats.  Heck even Dennis Roland got some Te snaps that year.  Somehow we swept the north that year.  Both the AFC and NFC.

That was like a decade ago.
Since then, the Bengals have had two rather good TEs in Gresham and Eifert.
I think everyone would rather have Gresham or pre-ankle injury Eifert over what they have now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 12:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then why pay Uzomah over 6 million dollars?  We could have saved 5.3 million by cutting him this year.

If you're right, and Sample does see the majority of the snaps, then this is a terrible use of cap management.  You don't leave 5+ million to sit on the bench when you could have spent that money fixing other problems (OL, LB, etc.)

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with a depth chart of Sample-Shrek-Moss.  If we cut CJ, we would realistically have to bring in another FA TE for depth.  Cethan Carter has a cap hit of $2.7 mil this year, so you're realistically looking at resigning him and bringing in another player of his caliber at another position group.  

What I think will likely happen is PT will be determined by the matchup.  Against teams with good DL's and pass rushers, we will probably see Sample more, while we will probably see Uzomah more against teams with suspect cover LB's.  
Reply/Quote
They aren't cutting CJ. He has a place in 2 TE sets or when they want the TE going out to catch along with the 3 WR. Also while not really a good blocker he is better than a fair chunk of today's "receiver" TEs.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 10:40 PM)Tony Wrote: I see CJ uzomah getting cut..

If Moss can pan out to anything then this is a better possibility.  Id love to say the Bengals trade him if he can prove hes healthy, but that there is the key.  He is a solid average TE in the NFL, if he can stay healthy.  
Reply/Quote
If the offensive plan is to have a TE who is more of a blocker and just the 4th or 5th option in the passing game as more of a dump off guy, Sample is probably the better fit.
But we all know Sample isn't the most dynamic pass catching TE, so if the Bengals want a better receiving threat, they need to go with Uzomah.

I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to go with Sample given the pass catching prowess of Boyd, Higgins, Chase, and Mixon.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Gresham and Eifert both got a lot of snaps in 2013, but we we also used a lot of 2TE sets that year. That was an interesting receiving corps. Our #3 WR (Sanu) had a lower average per catch (9.2) than either of our TEs (Gresham 10.0, Eifert 11.4)
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 12:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then why pay Uzomah over 6 million dollars?  We could have saved 5.3 million by cutting him this year.

I'm not the GM if it were me I would have cut CJ. I agree the money could have been spent elsewhere.
J24

Reply/Quote
TE is one of the riskiest positions on the field in terms of injury probability, so through the year injuries will answer this question.

If they are both healthy they will both get snaps. Uzomah is probably the more complete end, he's a good receiver with speed to be great if he stays healthy and continues to click with Burrow, and a very solid blocker as well. Sample is a solid blocker and has some skill to receive also. I think they can both get the job done.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 05:47 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm not the GM if it were me I would have cut CJ. I agree the money could have been spent elsewhere.

but we have money now we havent spent so more money to not spend doesnt help much
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 01:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: but we have money now we havent spent so more money to not spend doesnt help much

?
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 07:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Under Marvin Lewis I would agree with this statement.  Not so sure with Taylor.

11 has been our base offensive formation for 2 seasons now.  With the addition of Chase, they are not going to take Higgins or Boyd off the field in favor of a TE unless down, distance, and field position dictate it.

I would be willing to wager that with a healthy Uzo and Sample that they are in 12 personnel more than the past two seasons.  I get keeping Boyd, Higgins, and Chase on the field but the 12 personnel also helps the running game.  It won't be their most common formation by any stretch, but we will see more of it.  
Reply/Quote