Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample over Uzomah?
We have a lot of Cethan Carter snaps to distribute as well. I think its a 1a and 1b. We don't have a FB so those two will be doing everything and will see the field a lot. Sure would be nice to have them both all year. Uzi will stay on top of the depth chart but Sample is going to be a big part of our O.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was a guy who took a lot of heat for saying Drew Sample was not that bad at TE last year.  But all along I have considered Uzomah our #1 TE when healthy.

Recently I have seen comments that Sample was going to be the #1 TE this year.  I figure both Uzomah and Sample will see playing time, but I see CJ getting more snaps.

Thoughts?

Sample could start out the season as the top TE with Uzo coming off that injury but I think as the season goes Uzo becomes the #1 
with the chemistry he has with Burrow and the fact he is more explosive than Sample when healthy.
Reply/Quote
The question is "Sample over Uzomah?". 

My question is, with everyone going on about how the Bengals will still be throwing the ball a lot, how in the hell can you even ask this question?

The answer is "no". 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
ahaha

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 10:37 AM)jeremydc Wrote: ahaha

I can't see the image.

I don't know why but this happens to me sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Sample will probably be the number 1 to start the season as Uzomah continues recovery from the ankle. No reason to overwork CJ early in the year.

Sample doesn’t need to do much… make good blocks, catch a 5 yard pass here and there… just be more reliable this year and make the contested catches. His targets should be relatively low and if they aren’t something is terribly wrong by design.

The bar has been set low for the 2nd round TE. We could have got  this from  a FA or someone off waiver wire.   
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 11:15 AM)kalibengal Wrote: The bar has been set low for the 2nd round TE. We could have got  this from  a FA or someone off waiver wire.   

Coulda shoulda woulda. Stuck with what we’ve got at this point. Just saying with the 3 at WR + Mixon these TEs shouldn’t have to do much in the passing game.
Reply/Quote
I was watching some video from training camp last night and Sample looks about as athletic as elephant. 

He's not taking any snaps from Uzomah where they're trying to move the ball down the field. He's a blocker/outlet receiver only.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 01:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I was watching some video from training camp last night and Sample looks about as athletic as elephant. 

He's not taking any snaps from Uzomah where they're trying to move the ball down the field. He's a blocker/outlet receiver only.

He still looks like a plodder. Thought both Uzo and Thaddeus looked much quicker and faster in their routes.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was a guy who took a lot of heat for saying Drew Sample was not that bad at TE last year.  But all along I have considered Uzomah our #1 TE when healthy.

Recently I have seen comments that Sample was going to be the #1 TE this year.  I figure both Uzomah and Sample will see playing time, but I see CJ getting more snaps.

Thoughts?

I don't know that it even matters. I don't think the offensive scheme accounts for the TE catching passes all that much, and even if it does I don't see the play caller actually calling those plays very much.

On the blocking side of things, I can see the TE being more of a blocking position, which would lead me to believe Sample will get the nod in snaps.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He still looks like a plodder. Thought both Uzo and Thaddeus looked much quicker and faster in their routes.

I'd keep Mitchell Wilcox over Sample. My 3 would be.

Uzo
Moss
Wilcox

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 01:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I was watching some video from training camp last night and Sample looks about as athletic as elephant. 

There was a specific catch he tried to make near the sideline last season (not sure what game) but I remember thinking it was one of the most unathletic things I’d ever seen on a football field. I wish I had a clip of it just to rewatch for a good laugh.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 11:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd keep Mitchell Wilcox over Sample.

Based on what?

Wilcox is slower and less athletic than Sample.

And he can't block like Sample.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 11:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There was a specific catch he tried to make near the sideline last season (not sure what game) but I remember thinking it was one of the most unathletic things I’d ever seen on a football field. I wish I had a clip of it just to rewatch for a good laugh.

Are you talking about the one where Burrow dumped it off like 5 yards to him on the sideline and he spazzed out and tripped over his own feet?
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 12:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Are you talking about the one where Burrow dumped it off like 5 yards to him on the sideline and he spazzed out and tripped over his own feet?

That’s the one lol.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 11:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on what?

Wilcox is slower and less athletic than Sample.

And he can't block like Sample.

He timed slower at the combine, no doubt. He's clearly a better pass catcher and, as the scouts say, "he's a willing blocker", so you have something to work with. He may be slower but he's definitely not less athletic than Sample.

Go to the 9:00 minute mark and watch the RB/TE against LBs. 14:00 minute mark is blocking. Wilcox is #84. He's a much better route runner and pass catcher than Sample. There are also "highlight" from his days at UCF you can watch on Youtube. He's not going to run by anyone and may have trouble getting separation but he's very good at tracking and catching the ball. 

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 11:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There was a specific catch he tried to make near the sideline last season (not sure what game) but I remember thinking it was one of the most unathletic things I’d ever seen on a football field. I wish I had a clip of it just to rewatch for a good laugh.

He has really heavy jackhammer feet.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 12:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's a much better route runner and pass catcher than Sample. 

I have looked at multiple draft analysis of him and pretty much every one of them said he was too slow in and out of his breaks and can't catch that well.

I would post the video of the ball hitting him in the face at the combine to show what a poor receiver he is, but that would be like trying to judge a player by one or two of his worst or best plays.

Of the people who watched a lot of film I can't find a single one who ranked Wilcox as high as Sample.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 12:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He has really heavy jackhammer feet.

That run faster, jump higher, and change direction quicker than MItchell Wilcox's feet.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 11:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd keep Mitchell Wilcox over Sample. My 3 would be.

Uzo
Moss
Wilcox

Will have to watch your vid cause I don't quite know about that. I like Drew's blocking too much to cut him over Wilcox.
Reply/Quote