Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturday Morning Cartoons
(04-24-2021, 10:21 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: After school was Clubhouse 22 and Spider-Man.

I was on Clubhouse 22.. Johnny Walker was on that day because Malcolm wasn't there, but Duffy the Dog was really a g-g-girl and a hot one at that..We had a carnival for muscular disthrophy so my mom called and set it up and made me go..Mom had worked at the station with Johnny Walker at one point.. Didja know Stan the Man was one of the Muppets from Jim Henson?
Also Clubhouse 22 was by far the highest Neilson rated after school show of all time for it's time slot anywhere in the country..  It beat every other after school show by huge margins..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 10:12 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Remember those later versions of Tom & Jerry's from the 60s?

I remember watching them even as a kid and was like WTF is this crap?!?

No doubt! I had forgotten about those.

They weren't cartoons,  but I remember watching Land of the Lost, and another one about a dad raising 2 kids in Bridgeport,  CN.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 11:42 PM)grampahol Wrote: I was on Clubhouse 22.. Johnny Walker was on that day because Malcolm wasn't there, but Duffy the Dog was really a g-g-girl and a hot one at that..We had a carnival for muscular disthrophy so my mom called and set it up and made me go..Mom had worked at the station with Johnny Walker at one point..  Didja know Stan the Man was one of the Muppets from Jim Henson?
Also Clubhouse 22 was by far the highest Neilson rated after school show of all time for it's time slot anywhere in the country..  It beat every other after school show by huge margins..

That is amazing. I never went to the show but watched everyday it was on. I sent a 3x5 card in a few times and my name was drawn. I won a crazy straw. As a kid, it felt like I won the lottery.

Sigh.... the good old days.

Reply/Quote
Old, uncensored Looney Tunes.
Reply/Quote
I remember Saturday morning cartoons partially because I loved the toons, and partially because looking back I realize how crazy I was to want to be up early on a Saturday morning! Jetsons, Flinstones, Scooby Doo and Looney Toons were my shows until mom and dad woke up and shut off the TV to make me go play outside.
Reply/Quote
gew up with HBO and Fraggle Rock..
The Muppet Show (with PIGS IN SPACE....)

But there were tons of good cartoons

Scooby Do
Smurfs
TMNT
GI Joe
The Real Ghostbusters
He-man
Flintstones
Jetsons
Looney toons reruns
Gargoyles
Gummi Bears
and many more lol

also enjoyed WMAC Masters on the weekends in the 90s
Reply/Quote
I liked Wacky Races, Taz, Looney Toons and anything else that was on...and like SladeX I rooted for Tom to kill that disease carrying rodent, too.
Reply/Quote
My favorites? Wacky Races, The Ant and the Aardvark, and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 12:26 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I remember Saturday morning cartoons partially because I loved the toons, and partially because looking back I realize how crazy I was to want to be up early on a Saturday morning!  Jetsons, Flinstones, Scooby Doo and Looney Toons were my shows until mom and dad woke up and shut off the TV to make me go play outside.

My dad's favorite thing to tell us on weekends was "Go play outside and get the stink blowed off you.." LOL..Cartoons be damned..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Scooby Doo, thundercats, spiderman and his amazing friends, thundarr the barbarian
Reply/Quote
Parents loved Saturday morning cartoons because it kept the kids out of their hair. Imagine if they would have thrown in South Park Saturday at 10am. This would be one F'd up society. Well shit, already is, so bad point. Still would have been cool though.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 07:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Parents loved Saturday morning cartoons because it kept the kids out of their hair. Imagine if they would have thrown in South Park Saturday at 10am. This would be one F'd up society. Well shit, already is, so bad point. Still would have been cool though.

Oh man,that was the science of it. Kids got up at 7-8 to watch the cartoons but didn't wake the parents up because they thought they were being sneaky. Parents won out because they got to sleep in till 9-10, then go do stuff.

Perfect world.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:09 AM)Benton Wrote: Oh man,that was the science of it. Kids got up at 7-8 to watch the cartoons but didn't wake the parents up because they thought they were being sneaky. Parents won out because they got to sleep in till 9-10, then go do stuff.

Perfect world.

Man, I grew up in a house where if my parents slept past 7 am it was a miracle. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 09:55 AM)Synric Wrote: Saturday Morning Cartoons was the best because it was the only time cartoons were on for me so I used to wake up at 5am to start with Rocky and Bullwinkle. My favorites were The Ghostbusters, Thundercats, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I only got to watch TMNT everyother week because my brother just HAD to watch Saved By The Bell on Saturdays even though it was on a couple times during the week too.

You're of my age, loved TMNT. Screw Saved By the Bell over TMNT ugh. Sick

Crazy how much better cartoons were back then Transformers, TMNT, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, He-Man, Flintstones, The Jetsons,  
Smurfs, Gargoyles, the uncensored Looney Toons were badass.

All the other early ones including Bugs, Tom and Jerry, Sly and Tweety, Popeye, Foghorn Leghorn, Droopy, Speedy Gonzalez,
Fat Albert, Mighty Mouse etc were awesome too.

Now a days it just sucks when I have to watch the new cartoons with kids, also honestly a lot of them are disturbing.

We grew up in a much better time, feel sorry for the kids of today. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 08:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You're of my age, loved TMNT. Screw Saved By the Bell over TMNT ugh. Sick

Crazy how much better cartoons were back then Transformers, TMNT, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, He-Man, Flintstones, The Jetsons,  
Smurfs, Gargoyles, the uncensored Looney Toons were badass.

All the other early ones including Bugs, Tom and Jerry, Sly and Tweety, Popeye, Foghorn Leghorn, Droopy, Speedy Gonzalez,
Fat Albert, Mighty Mouse etc were awesome too.

Now a days it just sucks when I have to watch the new cartoons with kids, also honestly a lot of them are disturbing.

We grew up in a much better time, feel sorry for the kids of today. Mellow

If I watch cartoons with my kids, we're watching the things I watched.  I'll put on the early-90s X-Men series, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, classic Looney Toons and Scooby Doo, etc.  They need a good education!  It's funny to me how so many people now look back and think the 50s were this idyllic time of perfection and censorship, but some of the things they got away with from the 30s through the 80s would never fly for even an instant today. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 10:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For you younger folks; Saturday mornings used to be the only time to watch cartoons. For the older folks; what was your favorite?

Scooby Doo is hard to beat, but Buggs Bunny and Super Friends were hard to beat

Buggs and Superfriends when I was a kid. Pinky and the Brain when I was older.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 10:27 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: If I watch cartoons with my kids, we're watching the things I watched.  I'll put on the early-90s X-Men series, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, classic Looney Toons and Scooby Doo, etc.  They need a good education!  It's funny to me how so many people now look back and think the 50s were this idyllic time of perfection and censorship, but some of the things they got away with from the 30s through the 80s would never fly for even an instant today. 

No doubt. BTW my Aunt did the voice of Goslin on Darkwing Duck, Christine Cavanaugh who also did the voice of Babe, was Chucky in The Rugrats was in Jerry McGuire as the wife at the player's hospital bed and was in a Cheers episode. She died about 6 to 8 years ago RIP.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 11:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. BTW my Aunt did the voice of Goslin on Darkwing Duck, Christine Cavanaugh who also did the voice of Babe, was Chucky in The Rugrats was in Jerry McGuire as the wife at the player's hospital bed and was in a Cheers episode. She died about 6 to 8 years ago RIP.

Wow, that's cool!  My kids just had Babe on the other day.  Really sorry to hear she's passed, those were iconic voices and I bet she was a fascinating person! 
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 06:05 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Wow, that's cool!  My kids just had Babe on the other day.  Really sorry to hear she's passed, those were iconic voices and I bet she was a fascinating person! 

She was, when I was a kid I followed her around like a dumbass worshipping an idol lol

Really cool person and a very good person at heart. She had a cool voice to say the least.
Reply/Quote