Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sauce CB #1?

Love Sauce, and know we have no shot at him so I hope he goes as high as possible (to a team I don’t hate). Surprised to see Jeremiah has him ahead of Stingley. He was spot on with Slater > Sewell though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 05:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Love Sauce, and know we have no shot at him so I hope he goes as high as possible (to a team I don’t hate). Surprised to see Jeremiah has him ahead of Stingley. He was spot on with Slater > Sewell though.

This is the key part of your post. I went to Miami and when Big Ben was drafted it was so deflating to see him go to a team I hated (mind you, I graduated before Big Ben and didn't know about the bad stuff he was doing at Miami). It's not like MAC football fans get to see a lot of round 1 picks and you don't see many Miami RedHawks in the NFL. Thus, it always stung watching his on field success and especially against the Bengals. I refused to root for him the second Pittsburgh called his name.

So back to Sauce, I wish he could have fallen to the Bengals but I doubt it. I hope the UC guys taken throughout the draft experience success but please, please, please don't let them end up in the AFC North unless with Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:02 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This is the key part of your post. I went to Miami and when Big Ben was drafted it was so deflating to see him go to a team I hated (mind you, I graduated before Big Ben and didn't know about the bad stuff he was doing at Miami). It's not like MAC football fans get to see a lot of round 1 picks and you don't see many Miami RedHawks in the NFL. Thus, it always stung watching his on field success and especially against the Bengals. I refused to root for him the second Pittsburgh called his name.

So back to Sauce, I wish he could have fallen to the Bengals but I doubt it. I hope the UC guys taken throughout the draft experience success but please, please, please don't let them end up in the AFC North unless with Cincinnati.

Now I know why I like you so much. Fellow Redhawk! Love and honor!

To the OP - Unless thoughts change by Draft Day, he might not be a great fit in every team's defensive scheme. He's good in man coverage but he especially excels in zone. And yes, while every team plays a mix of both, I'd imagine he'll be favored by the teams that play zone the most. So I do think he could fall into the early 20's like what's currently projected. If he doesn't though, gimme McCreary or Elam. Really both those guys.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The thing about Suace is he is experienced in alot of different techniques and coverages. He is probably the most NFL ready corner.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Stingley had his foot operated on... a 'procedure done'... in October and that's worth watching. From what I understand, it's his ankle, initially called just a sprain.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 12:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Now I know why I like you so much. Fellow Redhawk! Love and honor!

To the OP - Unless thoughts change by Draft Day, he might not be a great fit in every team's defensive scheme. He's good in man coverage but he especially excels in zone. And yes, while every team plays a mix of both, I'd imagine he'll be favored by the teams that play zone the most. So I do think he could fall into the early 20's like what's currently projected. If he doesn't though, gimme McCreary or Elam. Really both those guys.

Nice, always a pleasure to meet a fellow RedHawk. It's where I completed my undergraduate degree. Love and honor!

Thank you for sharing the perspective that Sauce could fall with the info about defensive schemes.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 05:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Why would you say he is spot on with Slater over Sewell?
Sewell had a slow start but on the season the PFF grades are 79.9 for Slater and 79.1 for Sewell.

Since week 6 of the season Sewell is the 2nd highest rated tackle in all of football. Slater made the transition easier but clearly doesn't have the ceiling of Sewell that he is now reaching with ease.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/platform/amp/2021/12/14/22836356/notes-penei-sewell-is-pffs-4th-highest-graded-first-ro

As for Sauce, seen a few projections with him as a Viking which I wouldn't hate at all. Anywhere in the NFC works outside of Dallas. Just don't want him in the AFC North unless he is with the Bengals, guy is going to be a shutdown CB in the NFL.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why would you say he is spot on with Slater over Sewell?
Sewell had a slow start but on the season the PFF grades are 79.9 for Slater and 79.1 for Sewell.

Since week 6 of the season Sewell is the 2nd highest rated tackle in all of football. Slater made the transition easier but clearly doesn't have the ceiling of Sewell that he is now reaching with ease.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/platform/amp/2021/12/14/22836356/notes-penei-sewell-is-pffs-4th-highest-graded-first-ro

As for Sauce, seen a few projections with him as a Viking which I wouldn't hate at all. Anywhere in the NFC works outside of Dallas. Just don't want him in the AFC North unless he is with the Bengals, guy is going to be a shutdown CB in the NFL.

Because Slater has been better than Sewell. Slater has given up one less sack, has 6 less penalties, and made the Pro Bowl. And the Chargers throw the ball more than the Lions. Herbert has 608 attempts. That’s 3rd highest in the league after only Brady and Mahomes. Slater has been tasked with a lot of pass protection.

And I have no idea where you’re getting those PFF numbers? According to their current pages Slater is a 83.5 to Sewell’s 77.3.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/penei-sewell/81788

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/rashawn-slater/59971

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Because Slater has been better then Sewell. Slater has given up one less sack, has 6 less penalties, and made the Pro Bowl. And the Chargers throw the ball more than the Lions. Herbert has 608 attempts. That’s 3rd highest in the league after only Brady and Mahomes. Slater has been tasked with a lot of pass protection.

And I have no idea where you’re getting those PFF numbers? According to their current pages Slater is a 83.5 to Sewell’s 77.3.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/penei-sewell/81788

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/rashawn-slater/59971

I linked where they came from.

And as it says since week 6 Sewell is the 2nd highest graded tackle in all of the NFL. Sewell looked bad the first four weeks and had a miserable grade, means he has flat dominated since to close the gap like that. The guy has been everything that was expected of him and doing so on a team with no offensive balance and constantly playing from behind. Slater has the luxury of a good QB and solid offense that keeps teams honest. 

What is really clear is that Sewell and Slater are far and away better then the rest of the class.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 02:20 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I linked where they came from.

And as it says since week 6 Sewell is the 2nd highest graded tackle in all of the NFL. Sewell looked bad the first four weeks and had a miserable grade, means he has flat dominated since to close the gap like that. The guy has been everything that was expected of him and doing so on a team with no offensive balance and constantly playing from behind. Slater has the luxury of a good QB and solid offense that keeps teams honest. 

What is really clear is that Sewell and Slater are far and away better then the rest of the class.

Your link is 3 weeks old…

I posted their current grades. Slater is in a higher tier (hence the different color). Anyway, I’ve argued with you enough over Penei Sewell to last me a lifetime. Kid is a stud. But Slater has been even better so far.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 02:20 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I linked where they came from.

Maybe for OT’s. But Creed Humphrey has arguably been the best offensive lineman from that class overall.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 02:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe for OT’s. But Creed Humphrey has arguably been the best offensive lineman from that class overall.

Creed certainly has held his own. It's always painful to look at the draft after the fact and see what could have been.

Creed in 2 over Carman.

St Brown in 4 over Smith or Shelvin

As for the main topic of the thread again, Cleveland worries me at 12 with a chance at Sauce. Don't want to face him twice a year.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 02:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: As for the main topic of the thread again, Cleveland worries me at 12 with a chance at Sauce. Don't want to face him twice a year.

Cleveland has Denzel Ward and rookie first rounder Greg Newsome and both are playing great on the boundary. If the Browns go Defense I expect it to be an End or Defensive Tackle... Wide Receiver has to be high on their board too especially if they let Jarvis Landry go.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
He never allowed a TD in his college career. And he only gave up 117 yards this year. Just freaking insane stats.

Stingley has been trending down while Sauce is trending up.
Reply/Quote
I hope other teams fall in love with Sauce and Stingley drops to where we draft.

WTS, it's a great year to look at CB in the 1st.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 09:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope other teams fall in love with Sauce and Stingley drops to where we draft.

WTS, it's a great year to look at CB in the 1st.

It really is. If we can land some good FA’s for the OL it sets us up perfectly to be able to go CB there. Then cut Waynes, and re-sign Apple for depth/nickel packages.

Reply/Quote
FWIW, McShay has WR, Edge, CB, and TE as the deepest spots.

We do not need a starting WR at the moment, but the backups, while fine special teamers, are not exactly electric. And all FAs. I could see a WR in round 3-5, be it a slot guy, speed guy, or big guy. A KR/PR tupe would help as well.

On the EDGE, Henderson is a pro-bowler & Hubbard solid. With Ossai looking like a home run before the injury. Kareem has had some flashes in limited time (Broncos game). Sample OK. All those guys a under contract. DE is not a NEED, but I could see us taking a DE/EDGE type is a highly rated guy falls to us. Like Ossai did last year in Rd 3. You can never have too much pass rush.

Speaking of never having too much, CBs. Awuzie has been spectacular (top rated CB in AFC via PFF). Hilton darned good. Both are under contract. As is Waynes. Eli Apple has been good after a rough start and is a FA. As are the rest if the backups (Davis, Flowers, Hargreaves). We can free up $11 mil in cap space by waiving Waynes. But we don't need to cut him to free up the space. We have the 5th most cap space in the league already. I'd try to re-sign Apple for a reasonable deal (plus maybe Flowers or Davis) and see what happens. If we end up needing more cap space to sign FAs, or a great prospect falls to us, waive him. If not, keep and be really deep. Marcus Jones is an interesting mid-round guy. Kiper has him tied for 10th at CB and he is an excellent return guy. If he is there on day 3, that could be interesting.

TE. We could use a more dynamic pass catcher. CJ is a FA. Sample would be an excellent #3/#4 blocking TE instead of a #2. Wilcox has barely played. Moss and Washington on the PS. Depending on how FA goes, we may have more pressing needs than TE. Unless CJ walks, of course. Could be some good TE value Rds 2-4. And some decent FAs at TE as well.
Reply/Quote
Kyler Gordon is going to open some eyes. I think hes going to get drafted in front of Mcduffie. Hes going to have some eye popping numbers at combine/proday. This draft is unbelieveable for corners. Lots of very good ones in this draft. There are 6-8 corners that should have 1st round consideration in this draft. I think 6 or 7 end up in rd 1 when its all said and done.
Reply/Quote
Online mocks have Sauce landing in Baltimore. I hope that's not the outcome, but if so then let Burrow, Chase, Tee, and TB give new meaning to the nickname Sauce.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:15 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Nice, always a pleasure to meet a fellow RedHawk. It's where I completed my undergraduate degree. Love and honor!

Thank you for sharing the perspective that Sauce could fall with the info about defensive schemes.

I was actually on Big Ben's team at Miami. 
Reply/Quote