Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scanning the radio dial yesterday
OK call me crazy and I know you will but I was scanning the radio dial yesterday when the scanner stopped at 94.5. The station was playing Daughtry-No No Surprise. I was like on we have a new station here in GB. The song got over and they said this is Tide 94.5. I looked it up on the internet on my phone and it was from Myrtle Beach SC! I then flipped the radio dial to see if any more distant stations were coming in. Sure enough there was a station 94.1 the Beat, Savannahs Number 1 hit music station. I couldn't believe this! I emailed both the stations to let them know I heard them on my car radio up here. I never knew FM stations could travel that far! AM this would be no big deal but FM it was great!
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 01:16 PM)packerbacker Wrote: OK call me crazy and I know you will but I was scanning the radio dial yesterday when the scanner stopped at 94.5. The station was playing Daughtry-No No Surprise. I was like on we have a new station here in GB. The song got over and they said this is Tide 94.5. I looked it up on the internet on my phone and it was from Myrtle Beach SC! I then flipped the radio dial to see if any more distant stations were coming in. Sure enough there was a station 94.1 the Beat, Savannahs Number 1 hit music station. I couldn't believe this! I emailed both the stations to let them know I heard them on my car radio up here. I never knew FM stations could travel that far! AM this would be no big deal but FM it was great!

It's true the different frequencies do travel better in different terrains but distance is more so an effect of the stations effective radiated power along with field strength and antenna height and build..
Reply/Quote
ive heard the big one out in CO a couple of times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First, you're crazy!

Second, you still have a radio dial?!?!?!?

Third, atmospheric conditions play a big part in the distance radio waves can travel.  I can't tell you what conditions are the most conducive to it happening, but the idea is that when the waves can penetrate into the upper atmosphere and then be reflected back down, they are going to cover much more distance.
Reply/Quote
Granted I'm a guy that works at a newspaper, so I realize there's some irony here given I'm posting this on the internet and mocking another industry, but...

People still listen to the radio? Outside of sports radio (rarely, although I like Dan Patrick's show) and NPR, the only time I listen to a regular radio station is when I ride with my dad, who hasn't tried anything new since 1987.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 11:58 PM)Benton Wrote: Granted I'm a guy that works at a newspaper, so I realize there's some irony here given I'm posting this on the internet and mocking another industry, but...

People still listen to the radio? Outside of sports radio (rarely, although I like Dan Patrick's show) and NPR, the only time I listen to a regular radio station is when I ride with my dad, who hasn't tried anything new since 1987.

LOL I still read an actual newspaper, and listen to the radio.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 02:14 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: LOL I still read an actual newspaper, and listen to the radio.

Same here.  Started reading the paper this morning just seconds after I heard it land on the front porch.  I'll be reading them right up to the point they stop publishing.  Still listen to the radio too, but mostly Sirius/XM.  I do listen to the local NPR station on the weekends, and Bengals shows during the season, but that's it for terrestrial radio.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I listen to AM radio often, mostly sports talk, sometimes the WLW shows that talk current events. I rarely turn on the TV.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 08:50 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Same here.  Started reading the paper this morning just seconds after I heard it land on the front porch.  I'll be reading them right up to the point they stop publishing.  Still listen to the radio too, but mostly Sirius/XM.  I do listen to the local NPR station on the weekends, and Bengals shows during the season, but that's it for terrestrial radio.

My paper is not delivered, I pick it up on the way to work.  I too will be reading them until they stop publishing them.  I don't have Sirius/xm Just regular ol' FM radio for me, or if I get tired of it I'll throw in a CD.  Every other Sunday I'm usually on the road with my son during game time, so I usually have the Bengals on.  My son is under strict instructions not to repeat what he hears in the car.  LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 03:04 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: ive heard the big one out in CO a couple of times.

Back in the old days it was 500k watts, 10x the signal strength it has today.  Can you imagine?  It was easily heard in Mexico City.  Stations as far away as Toronto complained that it was drowning out the signal of stations that were just near 700 AM.  So, they scaled back and congress eventually capped broadcasters at 50k watts.  In 1962, though, Crosley applied for an application to broadcast at 750k watts, but was turned down.

So, there's a long answer to a question you didn't ask.

[Image: Cliff_Clavin_in_Cheers.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 03:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's true the different frequencies do travel better in different terrains but distance is more so an effect of the stations effective radiated power along with field strength and antenna height and build..

He stole my answer. Ninja
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 11:58 PM)Benton Wrote: Granted I'm a guy that works at a newspaper, so I realize there's some irony here given I'm posting this on the internet and mocking another industry, but...

I do all of the time.  So what do you listen to?  Pandora or syrius or something?  Plug in your downloaded music?  I really have no idea.  I don't have a satellite receiver in my car.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 03:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I do all of the time.  So what do you listen to?  Pandora or syrius or something?  Plug in your downloaded music?  I really have no idea.  I don't have a satellite receiver in my car.

At home, work, at the gym or if I'm working in the yard I usually do Pandora. I like that I can shuffle five or six different stations and it still tosses in plenty of people I like even if I've never heard of them, all along with bands I usually listen to. And I can make it as diverse as I want. I was surprised that it doesn't use much data.

In the car or if I'm someplace I don't want a phone/computer to get damaged or wet, then I use my iPod. It's five or six years old and I got it cheap, so if it falls off the boat or something I wouldn't freak out.

I don't do Sirus or satellite in the car. I like the idea, I just got tired of their sales people calling me trying to activate my account.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 11:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: First, you're crazy!

Second, you still have a radio dial?!?!?!?

Third, atmospheric conditions play a big part in the distance radio waves can travel.  I can't tell you what conditions are the most conducive to it happening, but the idea is that when the waves can penetrate into the upper atmosphere and then be reflected back down, they are going to cover much more distance.

Exactly.  Its less likely with an FM signal but I use to listen to lots of far away AM stations as a kid.  I was/am a radio geek.  Its what I went to college for and worked in the field for a number of years.  Still miss it.

When we would vacation I'd always tune in to the local radio stations to see if the DJ's were any good.  As more and more stations got bought up and went to satellite music feeds I got bored and switched to AM talk and NPR.

I'd still just listen to NPR but the new car has Sirius/XM and I love the older channels and the old time radio shows.

As I said: Geek. Smirk

And at the gym or when I'm mowing the lawn I have podcasts downloaded.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote