Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Schumer/Biden lose emergency border bill
(03-04-2024, 05:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: The 1st argument against the wall was Mexico wasn't going to pay for it.

The 2nd was the gop never funded it either.

The 3rd was any wall wasn't enough as it didn't cover many places immigrants enter the country.

Then we heard it was finished, or two weeks from being finished.

Then we heard if it HAD been finished we wouldn't have illegal immigration.

1st everyone knew they weren't going to pay for it.
2nd Gop didn't get him full approval for a wall but they sure did beef up Security money
3rd As shown in first point,  you take Trump literally.

He pushed for it several times. finally started getting his way at the end. Then Biden undid all of the work that was getting done. Let EO's expire and basically reversed several years worth of work. Now if a Rep gets in there, they will re-reverse it all and get it back on track. 

The reason it works better going thru the House is because the EO's can be challenged in court and take a while to get implemented. Where as it will have a much harder time being challeged if it goes thru the House.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 06:08 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: 1st everyone knew they weren't going to pay for it.
2nd Gop didn't get him full approval for a wall but they sure did beef up Security money
3rd As shown in first point,  you take Trump literally.

He pushed for it several times. finally started getting his way at the end. Then Biden undid all of the work that was getting done. Let EO's expire and basically reversed several years worth of work. Now if a Rep gets in there, they will re-reverse it all and get it back on track. 

The reason it works better going thru the House is because the EO's can be challenged in court and take a while to get implemented. Where as it will have a much harder time being challeged if it goes thru the House.

Oh, *I* didn't take him literally.  His cult did.  *I* just tried to tell them that it was never going to happen and that congress would not give him billions for a wall either.

The funding he "got" was taken from funds that were to be used for military housing.

And the court ruled it illegal.

Of course after he spent the money.

He got 52 miles built and a lot of of the old wall patched.  That's it.

Meanwhile Biden continued to allow the wall to be worked on.  But more in the patching and fixing than creating new.

Until October of 2023 when about another 20 miles was authorized.

All that said no wall will work 100% and other, better methods were proposed by Biden and republicans in the bill that the House won't vote on.  That doesn't mean we should repair what is there and look for areas that it will help.  Not what P01135809 suggested as a wall all along the border.

For a guy who says he spent a career "building things" he really is bad at it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 06:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh, *I* didn't take him literally.  His cult did.  *I* just tried to tell them that it was never going to happen and that congress would not give him billions for a wall either.

The funding he "got" was taken from funds that were to be used for military housing.

And the court ruled it illegal.

Of course after he spent the money.

He got 52 miles built and a lot of of the old wall patched.  That's it.

Meanwhile Biden continued to allow the wall to be worked on.  But more in the patching and fixing than creating new.

Until October of 2023 when about another 20 miles was authorized.

All that said no wall will work 100% and other, better methods were proposed by Biden and republicans in the bill that the House won't vote on.  That doesn't mean we should repair what is there and look for areas that it will help.  Not what P01135809 suggested as a wall all along the border.

For a guy who says he spent a career "building things" he really is bad at it.

cap on a wall all you want, but even if it's only 75% effective, it's a hell of a lot better than any legislation that these morons will agree to.
I don't want laws/policies that expire, i want hard core lines in the sand drawn and made permanent. This is what Biden's group is avoiding, they just pushing it down the road making it someone else's problem. I've personally had enough and looks like a part of the Dems voting block is starting to feel that way as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 04:36 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: cap on a wall all you want, but even if it's only 75% effective, it's a hell of a lot better than any legislation that these morons will agree to.
I don't want laws/policies that expire, i want hard core lines in the sand drawn and made permanent. This is what Biden's group is avoiding, they just pushing it down the road making it someone else's problem. I've personally had enough and looks like a part of the Dems voting block is starting to feel that way as well.

So what percentage effective is the wall?  Let's start there.

How much would it help to have more people on the border and to speed up the asylum process?

Why can't it be a multifaceted approach instead of just brute force?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 04:36 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: cap on a wall all you want, but even if it's only 75% effective, it's a hell of a lot better than any legislation that these morons will agree to.

There is a whole lot of things in the world we all want but we're never gonna get.  So instead of focusing on that pipedream, we have to focus on what we can get  What you want for the border will never ever get through both Houses of Congress, if for no other reasons than many uber-wealthy donors don't want the supply of undocumented workers completely shut off.

Failure to compromise is the reason this current Congress has been the most ineffective in history.  No bill will ever be perfect so if you are waiting for that you'll be waiting until hell freezes over.  

In the meantime, while people are waiting for perfection the problems persist and go unsolved.  But the real crux of the matter is that the nixed bill was torpedoed not because it was bad legislation, but because Donald Trump was afraid to have Biden get yet another legislative victory.  Trump needs the border controversy to bolster his campaign.  And it was torpedoed before anyone really knew what was in the bill negotiated by some of the most conservative members of the Senate.  

So let's focus on reality instead of fantasies....

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote