Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scout: D Hill Is Best Michigan DB Since Woodson!
Talk about how praise: a scout suggests Daxton Hill will be the best Michigan DB since Charles Woodson!

Woodson was the man and could do it all! He could play safety or corner or in the slot, and that's the kind of versatility that Lou loves! I'm liking the pick more and more because it opens things up for our defense!

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals stuck to their board at the end of the first round of the NFL Draft. They took the best player available, and that seemed to be far and away Michigan defensive back Daxton Hill.

He was definitely the best player available because I thought he'd be gone in the top fifteen!

Quote:The traits that made Hill a first round talent included his incredible athletic profile that allows him to project at any defensive back position, and he could fill in at those areas at a very high level.

The appeal with Hill is his versatility to play anywhere in the secondary. He can attach himself to slot receivers as a nickel, play more of a two-safety look, and he could realistically line up outside with his above-average athleticism. One scout told me that Hill will be the best defensive back out of Michigan since Charles Woodson, and it is hard to disagree.

Woodson is a name that many NFL fans are familiar with. He had an illustrious 18-year career where he played both corner and safety. He is easily one of the best defensive backs since the turn of the millennium with 65 interceptions (fifth all-time), 18 fumble recoveries and a total of 13 touchdowns. His 11 interceptions returned for touchdowns are also second all-time in NFL history. This career earned him a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Like I said, the versatility is important, especially since players can do so many different things in today's NFL!

I love that he's an athlete and can just make plays anywhere on the field. I wasn't sure about our draft strategy but it's really coming into focus: get a bunch of guys on defense that can do a lot of different things, which makes it very hard for a coordinator to game plan for.

Quote:No one here is putting that projection or expectations onto Hill. Especially since he hasn’t even played a down in the NFL yet. However, it is clear he has all the tools to be a playmaker in the NFL for a very long time. He also plays in a defense that will be able to put him in positions to make those plays by lining up in multiple places.

It is great to see that people who study the game see that kind of potential in Cincinnati’s first round selection. Hopefully he reaches that, and we can all watch a Hall of Fame career play out on the defensive side of the ball.

This pick is starting to get me excited, especially playing alongside Bell and Bates!
Reply/Quote
If Hill can be as good as his Michigan predecessor, Leon Hall, then I will be thrilled. I like the pick.
Reply/Quote
It's a fairly low bar, as I don't believe any Michigan DBs have been stars in the NFL since Woodson, but there are a few good players like Jourdan Lewis, and Jabrill Peppers as well as one really good player in Leon Hall.

Hopefully, this scout is correct and Hill exceeds them all. That'd probably be good for a few pro bowls and maybe 1 or 2 all pros.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 10:35 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: If Hill can be as good as his Michigan predecessor, Leon Hall, then I will be thrilled. I like the pick.

Like Crazy said, it’s a fairly low bar, but Leon Hall is the name that jumps out. If he’s as good as Leon it was a damn fine pick. If he ends up better than Leon then we got an absolute steal that shoulda been a top 5 pick all the way down at 31
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Does anyone else see these thread titles scrolling on the main page and know who posted the thread before you even enter jungle noise? It’s a fun game, I got this one right

Probably means I spend too much time on this board lol
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 11:00 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Like Crazy said, it’s a fairly low bar, but Leon Hall is the name that jumps out. If he’s as good as Leon it was a damn fine pick. If he ends up better than Leon then we got an absolute steal that shoulda been a top 5 pick all the way down at 31

Yeah, Hall was really the only Michigan DB I could think of. I had forgot about Peppers, who has been okay, but they haven't had any big names come out in a while. 
Reply/Quote
There’s several things Dax Hill’s selection made so much sense. First and foremost he’s the immediate backup for Bates,Bell,and Hilton. His athleticism and versatility are off the charts. He’ll play plenty. Spelling guys or in the often used 3 safety package. He also provides us leverage with Bell and Bates. Who wants our other safety spot in 2023?

One thing not touched on much is this team is slowly becoming the best tackling team in the entire NFL.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 10:35 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: If Hill can be as good as his Michigan predecessor, Leon Hall, then I will be thrilled. I like the pick.

It's also worth noting the value is good considering we picked at #31, even if he is "Leon Hall good" and not "Woodson HoF good." What many of us on this board are pointing out, that the draft naysayers are ignoring, is who should the Bengals have taken at 31 considering who was left?

I guess the Bengals could have gone after a TE like McBride or a WR talent, but then the unhappy crowd would have complained about positional value or drafting for a position group that didn't have as much need.

I trust Duke & Zac. I'm good with Hill. Let's hope for a Hall or Woodson type of career from him.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 11:02 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Does anyone else see these thread titles scrolling on the main page and know who posted the thread before you even enter jungle noise? It’s a fun game, I got this one right

You can definitely guess some based on how many exclamation points are used  Tongue
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

It's crazy how underrated Leon Hall is/was. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 11:02 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Does anyone else see these thread titles scrolling on the main page and know who posted the thread before you even enter jungle noise? It’s a fun game, I got this one right

I know what you mean, but also will say it is not impressive if anyone correctly guesses who posted the thread in all CAPITAL LETTERS.

Edit:

Just having fun, nothing personal.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If Dax has a really good training camp and proves he can start day one, could the bengals possibly trade Bates? Or maybe start Bates for the first 3/4 games and get Hill acclimated to the NFL and show that Bates is hopefully playing at a high level. Not sure how or if it could work with him being on a franchise tag, but it may be able to help fill a hole mid season or stack draft picks and allow them to focus on getting Burrow, Tee and Jamar taken care of. I have always liked Bates as a a player, but if they can’t get a deal done then it would be nice to get something for him then letting him walk in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 03:01 PM)CSPABengals Wrote: If Dax has a really good training camp and proves he can start day one, could the bengals possibly trade Bates? Or maybe start Bates for the first 3/4 games and get Hill acclimated to the NFL and show that Bates is hopefully playing at a high level. Not sure how or if it could work with him being on a franchise tag, but it may be able to help fill a hole mid season or stack draft picks and allow them to focus on getting Burrow, Tee and Jamar taken care of. I have always liked Bates as a a player, but if they can’t get a deal done then it would be nice to get something for him then letting him walk in free agency.

These team doesn't need draft picks right now. They need above average guys that they can put on the field right now. The window to win is now. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 10:54 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's a fairly low bar, as I don't believe any Michigan DBs have been stars in the NFL since Woodson, but there are a few good players like Jourdan Lewis, and Jabrill Peppers as well as one really good player in Leon Hall.

Hopefully, this scout is correct and Hill exceeds them all. That'd probably be good for a few pro bowls and maybe 1 or 2 all pros.
It's a low bar but I just saw it more as him comparing Hill's potential to success to that of Woodson, which is a high bar to set.
(05-03-2022, 11:00 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Like Crazy said, it’s a fairly low bar, but Leon Hall is the name that jumps out. If he’s as good as Leon it was a damn fine pick. If he ends up better than Leon then we got an absolute steal that shoulda been a top 5 pick all the way down at 31
That's what I've been saying all along and it's why we couldn't pass on him. The scout wouldn't have said it if he was only average because he would have said since Leon Hall. I feel like he sees the potential and knows that Hill's a playmaker. 

The versatility he brings, along with giving us leverage with Bell and Bates, was way too good to pass up.

You can guess which threads were posted by someone with a traumatic brain injury......... congratulations Rolleyes

Hilarious
(05-03-2022, 11:36 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's also worth noting the value is good considering we picked at #31, even if he is "Leon Hall good" and not "Woodson HoF good." What many of us on this board are pointing out, that the draft naysayers are ignoring, is who should the Bengals have taken at 31 considering who was left?

I guess the Bengals could have gone after a TE like McBride or a WR talent, but then the unhappy crowd would have complained about positional value or drafting for a position group that didn't have as much need.

I trust Duke & Zac. I'm good with Hill. Let's hope for a Hall or Woodson type of career from him.

I don't think there were any receivers available worth the pick at #31 and any tight end would have been a reach.

Hill was great value.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 03:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: These team doesn't need draft picks right now. They need above average guys that they can put on the field right now. The window to win is now. 

Yes, obviously if Dax Hill doesn’t prove he can start in preseason and over the first few weeks then it wouldn't make sense. I’m saying if Hill shoots out of the gates and plays really well, could that be a potential option. Let’s be honest, it’s unlikely the whole starting line up stays healthy all season, so if they can trade Bates to fill another mid season hole that could be worth exploring. We always need draft picks. We will definitely need to let some players walk to sign the core guys in the upcoming years. If we can draft young talent and develop them in anticipation of guys leaving that’s the best way to keep the players needed to be a good team. Like I said, not sure if it could even be done but the more options they have the better.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 03:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You can guess which threads were posted by someone with a traumatic brain injury......... congratulations Rolleyes

Hilarious

Yep lol if it were anyone else there woulda been at least one typo in a title that long
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 02:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's crazy how underrated Leon Hall is/was. 
Injuries derailed his career particularly the second Achilles injury. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Woodson is a good comp for Hill actually.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 04:03 PM)J24 Wrote: Woodson is a good comp for  Hill actually.

They are fairly different players. Woodson played boundary CB, primarily. Hill won't be out there often. Good comparisons for Hill are Tyrann Mathieu and Jevon Holland, I think. 
Reply/Quote
unnamed scout behind a paywall article.....

I like it but I wanted to see who the scout was and where they came from.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote