Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting Combine Boom/Bust
Safety Natrell Jamerson has definitely helped his stock with a 4.4 40 with 25 reps on the bench. An impressive combine for a guy who hasn't been playing safety all that long and could be a high upside guy mid to late round.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn’t you know it. NFL’s live YouTube feed goes dead right as James is doing his drill and Primetime was just about to give his opinion.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Wouldn’t you know it. NFL’s live YouTube feed goes dead right as James is doing his drill and Primetime was just about to give his opinion.

He's not as big as he was supposed to be but he was fast and smooth through the workouts...Thing is he wasn't the only safety that had some size ran fast and looked good. 

James did not blow up the combine like promised. Combine that with this tape I'd say he slides a little.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:47 PM)Synric Wrote: He's not as big as he was supposed to be but he was fast and smooth through the workouts...Thing is he wasn't the only safety that had some size ran fast and looked good. 

James did not blow up the combine like promised. Combine that with this tape I'd say he slides a little.

C’mon give him some credit. A 4.48 forty, 40” vert, 11-0 broad jump, 21 reps. Haven’t seen the 3-cone or shuttle numbers yet. What did he need to do to blow up the combine? He did way better than Fitzpatrick in every category, who only got him by .01 in the forty.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:47 PM)Synric Wrote: He's not as big as he was supposed to be but he was fast and smooth through the workouts...Thing is he wasn't the only safety that had some size ran fast and looked good. 

A 40 inch vertical is an inch and a half better than Julio Jones. His reported unofficial 132" broad jump would tie him for the best in the combine this year. He ran sub 4.5 in the 40 which is still blazing fast for a safety. I am not sure what he didn't "blow up".
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:59 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: C’mon give him some credit. A 4.48 forty, 40” vert, 11-0 broad jump, 21 reps. Haven’t seen the 3-cone or shuttle numbers yet. What did he need to do to blow up the combine? He did way better than Fitzpatrick in every category, who only got him by .01 in the forty.

Alot of James rankings were based on his size and athleticism compared to Fitzpatrick that had great tape. Where James was inconsistent.

There were quite a few safeties that ran well and looked good today.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Alot of James rankings were based on his size and athleticism compared to Fitzpatrick that had great tape. Where James was inconsistent.

There were quite a few safeties that ran well and looked good today.

But he didn’t just run well. He showed impressive explosion and leaping ability to.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: But he didn’t just run well. He showed impressive explosion and leaping ability to.

I'm just saying he was supposed to be a top 10 pick based on size compared to his athleticism. He came in ALOT smaller than what he was supposed to be tested well but is really raw on tape. To me that drops him way down the Bengals draft board (Bengals board is different that others teams.)

Look at Justin Reid and Jessie Bates both had solid tape and tested well today.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:24 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm just saying he was supposed to be a top 10 pick based on size compared to his athleticism. He came in ALOT smaller than what he was supposed to be tested well but is really raw on tape. To me that drops him way down the Bengals draft board (Bengals board is different that others teams.)

I think you are embellishing to make a point. Supposed to come in at 6’3” (actually 6’2 7/8”) 225 (played at 211). Reality 6’1 3/4” 215 lbs. I wouldn’t call that ALOT.

Secondly he isn’t raw on tape. He is very good on tape with a few inconsistent moments. Raw is making more mistakes than good plays. James calls the plays in the huddle and makes pre snap adjustments while playing 3 different positions. You can’t do that if you’re raw.

He had been sliding to mid first while Fitzpatrick was a top 6 pick, I bet James goes before Fitzpatrick after today.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:24 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm just saying he was supposed to be a top 10 pick based on size compared to his athleticism. He came in ALOT smaller than what he was supposed to be tested well but is really raw on tape. To me that drops him way down the Bengals draft board (Bengals board is different that others teams.)

Look at Justin Reid and Jessie Bates both had solid tape and tested well today.

I like Reid's blood line and he has the measurables, I'm not sure he is as explosive as James. James is still a more versatile piece than Reid who I think is strictly a Safety play.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think you are embellishing to make a point. Supposed to come in at 6’3” (actually 6’2 7/8”) 225 (played at 211). Reality 6’1 3/4” 215 lbs. I wouldn’t call that ALOT.

Secondly he isn’t raw on tape. He is very good on tape with a few inconsistent moments. Raw is making more mistakes than good plays. James calls the plays in the huddle and makes pre snap adjustments while playing 3 different positions. You can’t do that if you’re raw.

He had been sliding to mid first while Fitzpatrick was a top 6 pick, I bet James goes before Fitzpatrick after today.

James is raw he plays alot more spur than actual safety for Florida state.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:33 PM)Synric Wrote: James is raw he plays alot more spur than actual safety for Florida state.

I mean we can poke holes all day in anyone, go put on Justin Reid vs USC and watch him get torched all night in Man Coverage.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mean we can poke holes all day in anyone, go put on Justin Reid vs USC and watch him get torched all night in Man Coverage.

I'm not a fan of James at 12 for all the reasons I've stated at how well the entire safety and defensive back group look this year.

If thr Bengals go defense with the 12th pick I'm hoping for an off thr ball linebacker even if they have to slightly reach for him. (Evans or Vander Ench)

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:45 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not a fan of James at 12 for all the reasons I've stated at how well the entire safety and defensive back group look this year.

If thr Bengals go defense with the 12th pick I'm hoping for an off thr ball linebacker even if they have to slightly reach for him. (Evans or Vander Ench)

So a deep safety class means taking one at 12 is a reach, but a deep LB class means it's okay to reach for one at 12? This is kind of where I am confused. I actually think the depth of both of these positions lends itself to trying to get back to 20ish and picking whichever you have rated higher.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: So a deep safety class means taking one at 12 is a reach, but a deep LB class means it's okay to reach for one at 12? This is kind of where I am confused.

Bengals need talent infused into the starting linebacker unit. They are alot better at safety than they are Linebacker. Pretty straight forward.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:50 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals need talent infused into the starting linebacker unit. They are alot better at safety than they are Linebacker. Pretty straight forward.

I’d argue they have more talent at LB due to Burfict alone, but both units are pretty meh after him.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:32 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d argue they have more talent at LB due to Burfict alone, but both units are pretty meh after him.

I agree with that Burfict makes the middle of the field better. Vontaze Burfict is a offensive coordinators nightmare.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think you are embellishing to make a point. Supposed to come in at 6’3” (actually 6’2 7/8”) 225 (played at 211). Reality 6’1 3/4” 215 lbs. I wouldn’t call that ALOT.

Yep, I'd say James DID NOT bust at the combine.....looks like he had a pretty good day to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Shaquem Griffin looks to be moving up

anyone know where he was projected? we need linebackers
Reply/Quote
Obviously James has a lot of fans in this forum. For a guy that was supposed to "blow up the combine" he had a mediocre showing. Of course 22 reps, 4.48, and a 40 vert is great, but when you were touted as the best athlete in the draft, it's a little disappointing.

Safeties out of Wisconsin, Arizona, and Illinois St, were faster and stronger.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote