Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting the 2018 NFL Combine
Shaquem Griffin 4.38 40. Griffin having a really good week.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:08 PM)McC Wrote: That seems like a possible scenario.  But even if two and three are QB's, that still leaves two out of the four or five, depending on how one feels about Mayfield.  

True, but like I said I think it will depend if the Brown's are completely sold on one guy they absolutely want to have.  If so they'll use the 1st on him and not risk him getting snagged before 4.  If they are on the fence about 3 or 4 QBs then They should be safe waiting until round 4 to pick one.  Who know though, it's the Brown's.  They may sign McCarron and trade away their 1st pick, or the 4th or even both, haha. Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fair enough. But I wouldnt get a QB in the 1st round and also bring in a QB in FA like McCarron. If they bring AJ on, it's because they think he can take them to the next level. If, by what you stated they do this, it wouldn't make sense to me when they could just go with what they got in place already? Kizer would be above and beyond what McCarron could bring out the gate if their plans was to take a QB in the first and groom him as a starter. If, at anything, it actually fits their mold because Browns are notorious for changing QB's mid season.

I didn't say anything about the Browns drafting a QB in the first round if they sign McCaron.  I said if they sign McCarron they should sign Barkley with the first pick.  That is what I was trying to say, if they sign McCarron it would be because they think he will be their starter for at least a few years, maybe even a franchise guy.  I think if they sign McCarron they should also use their 4th pick on a non-QB.  If Joe Thomas retires maybe a tackle if one churns up that may be worthy of such a high pick.  I did mention that the Browns might use the 1st pick on a QB if they are totally sold on one guy and don't want to risk him getting snagged before number 4, but that didn't have anything to do with possibly signing McCarron. In that case I don't think they would try to sign him.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I didn't say anything about the Browns drafting a QB in the first round if they sign McCaron.  I said if they sign McCarron they should sign Barkley with the first pick.  That is what I was trying to say, if they sign McCarron it would be because they think he will be their starter for at least a few years, maybe even a franchise guy.  I think if they sign McCarron they should also use their 4th pick on a non-QB.  If Joe Thomas retires maybe a tackle if one churns up that may be worthy of such a high pick.  I did mention that the Browns might use the 1st pick on a QB if they are totally sold on one guy and don't want to risk him getting snagged before number 4, but that didn't have anything to do with possibly signing McCarron. In that case I don't think they would try to sign him.

Your correct. I misread your post. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Makes sense now.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your correct. I misread your post. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Makes sense now.

No problem.  I had a power brunch this morning with a few extra bloody marys. So I probably am not explaining my thoughts very clearly anyway.   Wink

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I'll write some thoughts about every position and certain players in a few hours, I'll share some notes.

But watching the linebackers and there's a TON of athletic linebackers. Not many stiff guys and I like that a lot. Especially since the Bengals need LB help.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Jerome Baker with low 4.5’s 40 time. Also good, but goes to show you can’t rely on the times OSU reports when they run on a track. Gotta add .1-.2 for running on turf/grass.

Micah Kiser ran a solid 4.67, which was a bit better than I thought. I think given his instincts, tackle production, and tape combined with his solid Combine definitely makes him a candidate to be drafted by the Bengals.

Also, Roquan running low 4.5’s while getting up to 236 lbs is a good time too. Not quite as impressive as Edmunds with mid-4.5’s at 250 lbs but still keeps him around the 7-15 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 11:27 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Prove your 85% hit rate.  What are your metrics?  Define your hits and misses.  If you have a 85% hit rate than you're a bigger fool than I thought because you should be making millions as the best gm/talent evaluator in football.

And while I haven't gone to the acme school of scouting multiple times or "scouted since I was 13" I have watched you make bombastic, over the top comments about players only to watch you flip flop with even more bombastic, over the top comments about another player at the same position
I change as the evidence changes and as I rewatch the tape. The more u rewatch tape, the more little things u see u miss. 
(03-04-2018, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Vita Vea with 5.11 40 time. Still good for his size, but definitely not 4.9 like some on here were predicting.

Edit - Vea done with drills for the day, suffered a hamstring injury. Not sure how early into the run it happened to affect his time.

Had to have pulled it early. Well see at pro day. He has mid 4.8 speed at worstst mid 4.9
(03-04-2018, 02:13 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Anyone know how Allen Lazard did at the combine this week?
INSANELY GOOD!
(03-04-2018, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jerome Baker with low 4.5’s 40 time. Also good, but goes to show you can’t rely on the times OSU reports when they run on a track. Gotta add .1-.2 for running on turf/grass.

Micah Kiser ran a solid 4.67, which was a bit better than I thought. I think given his instincts, tackle production, and tape combined with his solid Combine definitely makes him a candidate to be drafted by the Bengals.

Also, Roquan running low 4.5’s while getting up to 236 lbs is a good time too. Not quite as impressive as Edmunds with mid-4.5’s at 250 lbs but still keeps him around the 7-15 range.

He's dropping for sure though. Think he's a early 20s pick now.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:22 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Shaquem Griffin 4.38 40. Griffin having a really good week.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals pick him up with their 5th round comp pick if he is still there.  It seems the guy has a ton of athletic ability, determination and heart.  All good qualities that would also be good around the locker room as far as attitudes are concerned. I think he could play special teams year one and has the potential to go up from there.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jerome Baker with low 4.5’s 40 time. Also good, but goes to show you can’t rely on the times OSU reports when they run on a track. Gotta add .1-.2 for running on turf/grass.

I think Edmunds solidified himself as LB#1 and doubt he'll make it past Gruden and the Raiders, but he might take Roquan Smith. Depends on if he wants to get his next Simeon Rice or his next Derrick Brooks. 

As to today's drills: 

Early in the year I was very high on the DT from Bama (Payne) and have no idea why I cooled off. Over 300 lbs running sub 5.0 forty.

Phillips 66 is longer than expected 6'4" with 33.875" arms. Dude is beyond strong and showed quick twitch in the short-shuttle and 3 cone.

Outside of Griffin and Edmunds I really didn't see any LBs that wow'd. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:34 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I change as the evidence changes and as I rewatch the tape. The more u rewatch tape, the more little things u see u miss. 
Had to have pulled it early. Well see at pro day. He has mid 4.8 speed at worstst mid 4.9
INSANELY GOOD!

He's dropping for sure though. Think he's a early 20s pick now.

Who is dropping for sure? Roquan? If so, I disagree. He performed as expected at the Combine and did it about 10 lbs heavier.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 07:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who is dropping for sure? Roquan? If so, I disagree.

Just slightly. Though he went around 15, but expected a faster 40. Think he goes 19-25 now. 
Reply/Quote
Sam Hubbard just absolutely KILLED the 3-cone!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Edmunds solidified himself as LB#1 and doubt he'll make it past Gruden and the Raiders, but he might take Roquan Smith. Depends on if he wants to get his next Simeon Rice or his next Derrick Brooks. 

As to today's drills: 

Early in the year I was very high on the DT from Bama (Payne) and have no idea why I cooled off. Over 300 lbs running sub 5.0 forty.

Phillips 66 is longer than expected 6'4" with 33.875" arms. Dude is beyond strong and showed quick twitch in the short-shuttle and 3 cone.

I too think Edmunds will go before Smith but I see both going Top 15.

I’m on board for Griffin in Rd 3-4.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Edmunds solidified himself as LB#1 and doubt he'll make it past Gruden and the Raiders, but he might take Roquan Smith. Depends on if he wants to get his next Simeon Rice or his next Derrick Brooks. 

As to today's drills: 

I think smith did enough to solidify his position as a top LB because his on the field work is so good and he has no red flags athletically.  I think Edmunds has the higher potential with his age and he also ran very well for a guy his size.  My biggest concern with edmunds is his hula hoop tackling that he has a habit of doing.  Regardless of all these things I think the bengals will either reach for an OT or pickup a corner.  i personally would much rather see a corner than another bad tackle because then atleast we have some upside.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lorenzo Carter is intriguing. At 6'6 250, he ran a 4.50, with a 36 vertical, and a 130 broad. He is listed as an edge.

Malik Jefferson at 6'3 236, ran a 4.52, 27 bench, 36 vertical and 125 broad
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Early in the year I was very high on the DT from Bama (Payne) and have no idea why I cooled off. Over 300 lbs running sub 5.0 forty.

I like Payne as well - have been surprised at the lack of love he's been getting with all of the hype for Vea. He seems to have quick twitch awareness(similar to Dunlap) when opportunities to make big plays come up, great run stuffing, strong, sound technique, and he's grown as a pass rusher recently(far more pressures in his last year in college). 

Good to hear that the LB class is showing some movement - from my limited studies of the LB class it sounded like after the best 4 or 5 there was a big drop in mobility. Someone like Tegray Scales(ranked in the top 5 LBs by some) wouldn't really strike me as an improvement over Vigil/Minter. Maybe there are some hidden gems in this class that we just haven't heard a lot about. 
Reply/Quote
I hope Darius Leonard's little issue has him fall into our laps with our 3rd round comp
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:10 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I'm on Sutton. But we aren't going wr round 1. Possibly round 2. We just have so many needs idk what direction we go. And due respect,  idrc what u think bc I have a 85 percent hit rate since 2011 and been scouting since I was 13, not to mention went to scouting school multiple times. What have u done exactly?

And yet you still work three day jobs.
Reply/Quote
Still sticking with my guys if still there at 12, Nelson, Edmunds, or Wynn

Will not hate a McGlinchey pick either and sounded like Pollack likes him a lot.

Think one will fall at least.

Many say that is too high for Wynn. If Bengals are sure of this they can trade back if he is only one left for an extra pick.

But I do not think it is too high if you want him

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote