Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting the Titans
First of all, I will begin by saying that I have incredible respect for Mike Vrabel as a player and a coach.  Given two weeks to prepare for Cincy will be a huge advantage for them, as well as being at home.

I fully expect Vrabel to try and take away any deep shots with Chase and Higgins and force Burrow to be patient and work underneath. That isn't exactly the worst recipe as I look at the PFF ratings for the Titans game by game.  They aren't blessed with a great pass rush.  Especially against teams that go 3 WR.  Their pass coverage isn't very good, either, unless they were facing a team with minimal weapons and poor QB play.  The bottom line?  I think the Bengals can score on them....

To get to 30 points the recipe will have to have these three main ingredients:

Limit Titans rush game giving them 10-12 play drives that minimize possession for the Bengals

No turnovers

TDs not FGs.....No red zone handoffs on 2nd and 10.   My thoughts are that there is no way you are stopping Burrow on three straight plays.  If you do that, fine, they will have to settle for three points.  I just don't want to see a possession like the end of the Raider game where Burrow only gets a throw on 3rd and 11.

To stop the Titans, the Bengals have to be disciplined.  Stay in rush lanes, because Tannehill isn't afraid to tuck it and run, either.  That has been a HUGE part of their run in the end of the season.  He moves the chains and takes shots with his body (doesn't go down in to a slide).  The Bengals will need a huge game out of Pratt and Wilson (and perhaps Bailey, who has been really good in coverage).

I think Chido will minimize Brown, but the safeties will need to rally and help the LBs take down Henry.  

Could someone let me know of you are able to use this link?  

https://premium.pff.com/nfl/teams/2021/REGPO/tennessee-titans/schedule

That is the Titans game-by-game PFF ratings for this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Of note: The Titans gave up 300 yards passing to Davis Mills (Texans) the last game of the season in a game they had to win to get the #1 seed.

Jimmy G. got 322 yards passing two weeks prior but threw two INTs that cost them the game.

Mac Jones of the Pats went for 310 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs in week 12 and the Pats held Tannehill to under 100 yards passing.

Just some food for thought.....In other words: Put the ball in Burrow's hands. He won't need to be Checkdown Charlie like Jones, and he won't throw 2 INTs like Jimmy G. They are the #2 rush defense in the league. Let Joe have the ball and check down to backs. Don't run in to a wall and waste snaps.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 09:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, I will begin by saying that I have incredible respect for Mike Vrabel as a player and a coach.  Given two weeks to prepare for Cincy will be a huge advantage for them, as well as being at home.

I fully expect Vrabel to try and take away any deep shots with Chase and Higgins and force Burrow to be patient and work underneath. That isn't exactly the worst recipe as I look at the PFF ratings for the Titans game by game.  They aren't blessed with a great pass rush.  Especially against teams that go 3 WR.  Their pass coverage isn't very good, either, unless they were facing a team with minimal weapons and poor QB play.  The bottom line?  I think the Bengals can score on them....

Limit Titans rush game giving them 10-12 play drives that minimize possession for the Bengals

No turnovers

TDs not FGs.....No red zone handoffs on 2nd and 10.   My thoughts are that there is no way you are stopping Burrow on three straight plays.  If you do that, fine, they will have to settle for three points.  I just don't want to see a possession like the end of the Raider game where Burrow only gets a throw on 3rd and 11.

To stop the Titans, the Bengals have to be disciplined.  Stay in rush lanes, because Tannehill isn't afraid to tuck it and run, either.  That has been a HUGE part of their run in the end of the season.  He moves the chains and takes shots with his body (doesn't go down in to a slide).  The Bengals will need a huge game out of Pratt and Wilson (and perhaps Bailey, who has been really good in coverage).

I think Chido will minimize Brown, but the safeties will need to rally and help the LBs take down Henry.  

Awesome analysis. I'm not worried about Burrow and the offense finding a way to score, but I do wonder how our defense will match up with the Titans. Can we contain Henry to diminish big plays and tackle properly? I'm starting to see in the media that Cincinnati has to deal with the Titans big WRs (Brown & Jones). Is this valid or just the narrative fostered by the media?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 09:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, I will begin by saying that I have incredible respect for Mike Vrabel as a player and a coach.  Given two weeks to prepare for Cincy will be a huge advantage for them, as well as being at home.

No turnovers

"They aren't blessed with a great pass rush.  Especially against teams that go 3 WR.  Their pass coverage isn't very good, either, unless they were facing a team with minimal weapons and poor QB play.  The bottom line?  I think the Bengals can score on them...."

This is the exact opposite of what Titans fans are saying lol. They are praising their pass rush and are claiming its top 5 in the league. They are also pimping up their safeties (one is an all pro) and their corners. 

It sounds like their defense is MUCH better than it was last year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:20 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: "They aren't blessed with a great pass rush.  Especially against teams that go 3 WR.  Their pass coverage isn't very good, either, unless they were facing a team with minimal weapons and poor QB play.  The bottom line?  I think the Bengals can score on them...."

This is the exact opposite of what Titans fans are saying lol. They are praising their pass rush and are claiming its top 5 in the league. They are also pimping up their safeties (one is an all pro) and their corners. 

It sounds like their defense is MUCH better than it was last year. 

Saying their defense is better than last year is no different than saying the Bengals defense is better than last year.  It is irrelevant.  Both teams are different this year.  The PFF numbers I attached backed up their weakness was in COVERAGE.  And it was worsened against teams with multiple weapons and a solid QB that could distribute and attack their weakest position.

Do I think this game will be easy?  Hell, no.  But I think they are beatable, and I think the way to beat them is giving the ball to Burrow and the two things I listed in relation to the defense. 
Reply/Quote
I can see the Titans leaning on the run game
With Henry, Foreman and Hillard.all 3 had 100 yd
Rushing games this year.
Cincy has to really limit the gains on 1st
And 2nd down. Make Tanneyhill beat you
On.3rd and 7, etc...
If the offense can get a early lead by 2-scores
Or more I dont see Tanneyhill being able
To match throws with JB.
We need big games out of our DTs.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Of note:  The Titans gave up 300 yards passing to Davis Mills (Texans) the last game of the season in a game they had to win to get the #1 seed.

Jimmy G. got 322 yards passing two weeks prior but threw two INTs that cost them the game.

Mac Jones of the Pats went for 310 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs in week 12 and the Pats held Tannehill to under 100 yards passing.

Just some food for thought.....In other words:  Put the ball in Burrow's hands.  He won't need to be Checkdown Charlie like Jones, and he won't throw 2 INTs like Jimmy G.  They are the #2 rush defense in the league.  Let Joe have the ball and check down to backs.  Don't run in to a wall and waste snaps.

Bengals are set up well to attack the Titans.
Titans are much weaker against the pass, and the pass is the Bengals' strength.
Bengals do defend the run well, but as we saw with Jacobs last weekend, rushers can still find ways to move the chains.
Luckily, the Titans don't have a TE that caliber of Waller, Kelce, or Andrews, so that will help.

I'm hoping and expecting the Bengals to air it out more this weekend.
Looking like it will be sunny and upper 30's Saturday. While not as warm as it is in Nashville today and tomorrow (48 and 51 respectively), it should still be solid weather to pass the ball effectively.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
When we are heathly on the defensive side, we surprise people with our defense. We get quick pressure with 4 and can play a bend but don't break defense. Injuries have made us dip in alot of grades and that's why it's so hard to judge the Titans because we constantly had practice squad guys in and out of the line up all over.

Bud Dupree missed alot of time, our linebackers were out alot, and so were our corners. Besides the Chiefs game we stomped them 27-3 with practice squad corners which surprised even us Titan fans didn't not see that coming, it's been ugly every other game with those injuries on defense.

This game reminds me of the Rams game. Rams had weapons galore and people expected us to come out and get destroyed and we punched them in the mouth early. We completely over powered them and shut them down most of the game. Dline dominated them upfront only rushing 4. I think our defense will surprise u guys this game. It's going to be close.
Reply/Quote
Statistically this game looks like a close one. Oddsmakers have made this a 3 and 1/2 point spread which is basically home field advantage to Tenn.
Reply/Quote
Tennessee is #1 for a reason. There is no need for complacency just because we won 1 playoff game.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 05:58 PM)MikeJones561 Wrote: When we are heathly on the defensive side, we surprise people with our defense. We get quick pressure with 4 and can play a bend but don't break defense. Injuries have made us dip in alot of grades and that's why it's so hard to judge the Titans because we constantly had practice squad guys in and out of the line up all over.

Bud Dupree missed alot of time, our linebackers were out alot, and so were our corners. Besides the Chiefs game we stomped them 27-3 with practice squad corners which surprised even us Titan fans didn't not see that coming, it's been ugly every other game with those injuries on defense.

This game reminds me of the Rams game. Rams had weapons galore and people expected us to come out and get destroyed and we punched them in the mouth early. We completely over powered them and shut them down most of the game. Dline dominated them upfront only rushing 4. I think our defense will surprise u guys this game. It's going to be close.

Tiger
https://youtu.be/erL2czOyNoc
Reply/Quote
Titans are very formidable but the Bengals can play with anybody when they show up.

Should be an epic battle but think the Burrow to Chase chemistry will be the difference that helps the Bengals edge out Tennessee.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 07:17 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Tennessee is #1 for a reason. There is no need for complacency just because we won 1 playoff game.

I’m going to be completely complacent. I’m not planning to do anything to prepare for this game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I remember a long time ago BB's Pat game plan against the Steelers number 1 rush defense was he passed the ball 25 times in a row ans toasted the Steeler's

I think ZT should plan on throwing the ball 45+ times, If so I think we control the LOS on offense
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Would like to see Higgins get going again this weekend!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Would like to see Higgins get going again this weekend!

Hope he has healed up this week. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
^ didn’t know he was injured but he was MIA badly last Saturday.

My boy Boyd was too for the most part.
Reply/Quote
It's actually not that complex.....

LET JOE COOK

If we're going to get where everyone wants to go it is going to be by letting Joe Cook - if we fall short at least we're doing so with our best foot forward. If Burrow has the guts and the instincts and the smarts we all believe him to have then we need to put the ball in his hands, give him as much latitude in play calling as possible and go for it.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Higgins or Boyd were "missing" necessarily. Rather, the Raiders continued to allow Chase the same backshoulders and curls all day and Burrow was perfectly content to keep throwing there. Uzomah was also doing work.
Reply/Quote
Funny thing, I hope like hell we win, but for some reason I have feeling that if things don't work that way, I won't be upset. I have really enjoyed this team!!
Reply/Quote