Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting the Titans
(01-18-2022, 09:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, I will begin by saying that I have incredible respect for Mike Vrabel as a player and a coach.  Given two weeks to prepare for Cincy will be a huge advantage for them, as well as being at home.

I fully expect Vrabel to try and take away any deep shots with Chase and Higgins and force Burrow to be patient and work underneath. That isn't exactly the worst recipe as I look at the PFF ratings for the Titans game by game.  They aren't blessed with a great pass rush.  Especially against teams that go 3 WR.  Their pass coverage isn't very good, either, unless they were facing a team with minimal weapons and poor QB play.  The bottom line?  I think the Bengals can score on them....

To get to 30 points the recipe will have to have these three main ingredients:

Limit Titans rush game giving them 10-12 play drives that minimize possession for the Bengals

No turnovers

TDs not FGs.....No red zone handoffs on 2nd and 10.   My thoughts are that there is no way you are stopping Burrow on three straight plays.  If you do that, fine, they will have to settle for three points.  I just don't want to see a possession like the end of the Raider game where Burrow only gets a throw on 3rd and 11.

To stop the Titans, the Bengals have to be disciplined.  Stay in rush lanes, because Tannehill isn't afraid to tuck it and run, either.  That has been a HUGE part of their run in the end of the season.  He moves the chains and takes shots with his body (doesn't go down in to a slide).  The Bengals will need a huge game out of Pratt and Wilson (and perhaps Bailey, who has been really good in coverage).

I think Chido will minimize Brown, but the safeties will need to rally and help the LBs take down Henry.  

Could someone let me know of you are able to use this link?  

https://premium.pff.com/nfl/teams/2021/REGPO/tennessee-titans/schedule

That is the Titans game-by-game PFF ratings for this season.

(01-18-2022, 10:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Of note:  The Titans gave up 300 yards passing to Davis Mills (Texans) the last game of the season in a game they had to win to get the #1 seed.

Jimmy G. got 322 yards passing two weeks prior but threw two INTs that cost them the game.

Mac Jones of the Pats went for 310 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs in week 12 and the Pats held Tannehill to under 100 yards passing.

Just some food for thought.....In other words:  Put the ball in Burrow's hands.  He won't need to be Checkdown Charlie like Jones, and he won't throw 2 INTs like Jimmy G.  They are the #2 rush defense in the league.  Let Joe have the ball and check down to backs.  Don't run in to a wall and waste snaps.

Had to go back and find this on the 2nd page. Great thread SHRacer, you nailed it. Put the ball in Burrow's hands and on 
Defense slow the run down and keep Tannehill in the pocket. Really think we match up extremely well with the Titans in 
all aspects just cannot turn the ball over and put our Defense in bad situations is all.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 05:40 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: I've read a lot of posts on the Titans boards and all they seem to be able to talk about is how bad the Bengals offensive line is, and it is. Giving up 51 sacks is nothing to write home about. But, what they seem to forget is that their offensive line has give up 47 sacks this year which is the second most in the league behind the Bengals. I'm not sure that's something to be bragging about.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-sacked-qb-in-2021

They bring it up because we had alot of injuries on the online. Lewan missed time, Davis missed time, Saffold missed time. Add injuries for multiple games with aj Julio and Henry all being out at the same time and yeah online sucked it big time. When healthy which we are now, the online plays up very well. I'm not sure if Bengals had injuries on online too or not I can't speak on that. 

Arguments can be made for our defense. We ranked lower due to all the injuries. Yet we beat the bills chiefs and Rams. Who I'd argue were tough offenses like the Bengals. And we blew 2 of the 3. So it's tough to go by our season stats. 

We typically play our best vs the best. This game is going to come down to.. do we start fast and play up too par. If so I like our chances. If we don't then the odds favors the Bengals upsetting us. 
[Image: sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 07:34 PM)MikeJones561 Wrote: They bring it up because we had alot of injuries on the online. Lewan missed time, Davis missed time, Saffold missed time. Add injuries for multiple games with aj Julio and Henry all being out at the same time and yeah online sucked it big time. When healthy which we are now, the online plays up very well. I'm not sure if Bengals had injuries on online too or not I can't speak on that. 

Arguments can be made for our defense. We ranked lower due to all the injuries. Yet we beat the bills chiefs and Rams. Who I'd argue were tough offenses like the Bengals. And we blew 2 of the 3. So it's tough to go by our season stats. 

We typically play our best vs the best. This game is going to come down to.. do we start fast and play up too par. If so I like our chances. If we don't then the odds favors the Bengals upsetting us. 

Good info, thanks Mike. We have had injuries to our OL as well, Reiff is out still so we have Isiaah Prince playing RT who is
an UDFA. I think what a lot of people don't understand about Burrow is he will be sacked more than about any QB just the 
way he plays, he tries to make magic with his legs and holds onto the ball trying to get his Receivers open and sometimes 
runs out of bounds behind the LOS instead of throwing the ball away, things like this.

We definitely need to improve on the OL more than any area but we aren't terrible anymore either. Jonah and Spain are 
pretty damn good on the left side, not as good as Lewan and Saffold mind you but they are decent.

One thing about Burrow and our Offense is they normally start slow and learn the Defense and then pounce around the 
2nd quarter. The Raiders game last Saturday we finally started fast with a TD on our first possession.
Reply/Quote
I know this about Ryan Tannehill. Everytime I hear his name I visualize some old English landed gentry like "Lord Tannehill" or "The Duke of Tannehill" lounging around in tights.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know this about Ryan Tannehill.  Everytime I hear his name I visualize some old English landed gentry like "Lord Tannehill" or "The Duke of Tannehill" lounging around in tights.

I'd imagine a great many things make you visualize dudes lounging around in tights
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine a great many things make you visualize dudes lounging around in tights

OMG HOF POST LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote