Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list
Think we found ourselves a future stud LT in Clint Boling. Last week he had his struggles but this week was the 2nd highest ranked tackle in the NFL. Think no doubt he goes into 2018 as the starting LT. Just don't understand what took so long to make the transition with all the struggles from Ogbuie and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 03:41 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Think we found ourselves a future stud LT in Clint Boling.  Last week he had his struggles but this week was the 2nd highest ranked tackle in the NFL.  Think no doubt he goes into 2018 as the starting LT.  Just don't understand what took so long to make the transition with all the struggles from Ogbuie and Fisher.

I'd have to watch the tape again, the line played well, but didn't look spectacular. Worth giving him more reps next year, but still think drafting another OT will be a necessity. Guys were dropping quickly and we need more options at the position.
Reply/Quote
Imagine the year we could have had if the players were brought in sooner in the season. Once again we didn't get the game. please give me a rating of each of the lineman. Thank you.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't go that far, but these last two games have given me a bit of comfort regarding the Oline, at least on the interior. Westerman and Redmond seem perfectly fine at guard. Maybe one of them can take over at center? Westerman perhaps?

And Boling being a capable tackle is also very comforting.

I think we should still draft a tackle at some point because they are definitely needing depth at the very least. And, even if Boling is the starting LT, we need a RT. Winston and Smith are band-aids. We need a long term starter.

Happy for now, but this off season the Oline definitely needs to be addressed in some way.
Reply/Quote
Maybe resign Andre Smith, keep Boling at LT, draft Nelson and Price, and then put Westerman as the other guard? That wouldn't be that bad of an OL, but we would still have to look for a legit RT for the future, and that's if Boling pans out at LT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd keep ogbehi there draft Jones from osu let them battle it out. Get a couple stud guards in. Draft. And move boling to center.
Reply/Quote
Huh imagine if this change was made when the season actually mattered.

I don't know who's responsible but whoever keeps starting vets over young talent and whoever is afraid to make a change before week 16 is the biggest reason for our failures. Adam Jones would still be starting if he didn't get injured. Who's to say Ogbuehie wouldn't be as well?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 07:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I'd keep ogbehi there draft Jones from osu let them battle it out. Get a couple stud guards in. Draft. And move boling to center.
Drugs are bad 
Reply/Quote
We need to draft a LT . Mcglichey if he's there at 12. Or Hope O Brown can play LT
Reply/Quote
I'd be more comfortable with Boling at RT than LT long term.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 03:41 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Think we found ourselves a future stud LT in Clint Boling.  Last week he had his struggles but this week was the 2nd highest ranked tackle in the NFL.  Think no doubt he goes into 2018 as the starting LT.  Just don't understand what took so long to make the transition with all the struggles from Ogbuie and Fisher.

Well a few reasons he was not a Tackle:  1. he was our best guard and really had not played tackle.. 2.  You had to let the Cedric and Fisher really play this year to see if they could do it .  3.  You other young guards were not ready at beginning of season to take over guard, they have at least improved  4. Two games don;t make a career... good or bad 

Now with that said it is possible that he slides if we decide to move on from both tackles... I believe more likely we replace one of our tackles in FA or Draft, then we move him back to guard and Redmond or Westerman move to Center
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 06:22 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Maybe resign Andre Smith, keep Boling at LT, draft Nelson and Price, and then put Westerman as the other guard? That wouldn't be that bad of an OL, but we would still have to look for a legit RT for the future, and that's if Boling pans out at LT.

if we could draft OG Nelson & OC Price we would run the ball down teams throats....
SMASH MOUTH would be our new style....
Mixon & Gio would get 100+ yard games in every game.....Dalton's play action would crush ever teams defenses....
we would be a top 5 Offense overnight....
we would control the ball, the clock & the game....
I would LOVE it.... Who Dey
Reply/Quote
Boling does have possibilities at LT. But we would still need to draft a LT, at least to provide a competent backup. I think the Ogbuehi experiment has run its course. As to why they didn't play Boling there sooner...because he was good at LG (and they probably didn't know he could play LT as well as he did because he only went there out of an emergency situation.)

I could see this as next year's starting OL (with some new draft picks as backups):

LT - Boling
LG - Redmond
C - Westerman
RG - Hopkins
RT - Smith

Also, the rookie who filled in at RT didn't do so bad either. The Bengals had to stick with Ogbuehi and Fisher so long because they invested such high draft picks in them and had to be sure they could not improve. But I think now they see they have better suited players on the roster. They should be able to cut their losses at this point. I would cut Ogbuehi and keep Fisher as a backup at RT and to use as a TE in the jumbo package. Remember Fisher als served well as a goal line FB last year when Hewitt was injured...so he has some value to keep in the roster.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 07:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I'd keep ogbehi there draft Jones from osu let them battle it out. Get a couple stud guards in. Draft. And move boling to center.

I just don't think Ced is going to cut it at LT.....
we've tried it 2 years in a row.....
he just gets beat too much....
imo, he is nothing more than a back up....
but it seems Fisher is even worse.....
so they both need to go...
next year, 2018 is year 4 for both of them....so they can't be here in 2019....
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:20 AM)Steve Wrote: I just don't think Ced is going to cut it at LT.....
we've tried it 2 years in a row.....
he just gets beat too much....
imo, he is nothing more than a back up....
but it seems Fisher is even worse.....
so they both need to go...
next year, 2018 is year 4 for both of them....so they can't be here in 2019....

2019 is the year for it and dt. Build inside out this year go ot next year. Hell start Jones week 1.
Reply/Quote
Just cut Cedric O already.

Let's hope a new HC and a new line coach can either coach this guy up or send him packing.

His current level of play shouldn't keep him on a NFL roster. Period !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:20 AM)Beaker Wrote: Boling does have possibilities at LT. But we would still need to draft a LT, at least to provide a competent backup. I think the Ogbuehi experiment has run its course. As to why they didn't play Boling there sooner...because he was good at LG (and they probably didn't know he could play LT as well as he did because he only went there out of an emergency situation.)

I could see this as next year's starting OL (with some new draft picks as backups):

LT - Boling
LG - Redmond
C - Westerman
RG - Hopkins
RT - Smith

Also, the rookie who filled in at RT didn't do so bad either. The Bengals had to stick with Ogbuehi and Fisher so long because they invested such high draft picks in them and had to be sure they could not improve. But I think now they see they have better suited players on the roster. They should be able to cut their losses at this point. I would cut Ogbuehi and keep Fisher as a backup at RT and to use as a TE in the jumbo package. Remember Fisher als served well as a goal line FB last year when Hewitt was injured...so he has some value to keep in the roster.
I agree w/ you in general....
but keeping Fisher means his heart is ok....he has to pass a physical....
but in 2019 when he's a FA he needs to go...
w/ that said...
if OG Nelson is on the board at #12 i'd still pick him...same w/ OC Price at our 2nd rd pick....
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:12 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  3.  You other young guards were not ready at beginning of season to take over guard, they have at least improved  

How do you know this?  What happened over the course of the season that all of a sudden made them ready in week 15?

I think this was more of the case of Marvin meeting the young kids rot away on the bench!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:20 AM)Beaker Wrote: Also, the rookie who filled in at RT didn't do so bad either. 

I was hoping to see him get more snaps.........what did he get a handful?  I as well thought he did good in his limited time........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Couple things:

Mikey would probably love to keep Boling at LT as you are getting one for a bargain

Clint's agent would rightly demand a new contract, Mikey would most likely balk, and then we'd have a holdout on our hands.

WTS: We can still look at OT; however, it's not a 1st RD need.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote