Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season not over: big picture
We are currently 2-3 and will in all likelihood lose next week against the Patriots. Taking that into account, that would leave us at 2-4.

Here is the remaining schedule:

Browns - W
Redskins - W
@Giants - L
Bills - W
@Ravens - W
Eagles - W
@Browns - W
Steelers - L
@Texans - L
Ravens - W

The margin for error is non existent now. There is none. So, we have to win the games we are supposed to win. Honestly, I see 7 more possible wins on that schedule. It really softens up after this week. That would put us at 9-6. Good enough to make the playoffs?

This team has some issues obviously (offensive line, defense) so this is all probably just wishful thinking. Like I said in another thread, I dont think you can just "fix" the problems this team is having.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We are currently 2-3 and will in all likelihood lose next week against the Patriots. Taking that into account, that would leave us at 2-4.

Browns - W
Redskins - W
@Giants - L
Bills - W
@Ravens - W
Eagles - W
@Browns - W
Steelers - L
@Texans - L
Ravens - W

The margin for error is non existent now. There is none. So, we have to win the games we are supposed to win. Honestly, I see 7 more possible wins on that schedule. It really softens up after this week. That would put us at 9-6. Good enough to make the playoffs?

This team has some issues obviously (offensive line, defense) so this is all probably just wishful thinking. Like I said in another thread, I dont think you can just "fix" the problems this team is having.

I don't see this team beating the Eagles or the Ravens twice.  I think the Bills are going to be tough and who knows what happens in London.  I think you could easily see three more losses just from these games.
Reply/Quote
Eagles? I'd put that as a loss, but I don't think the Texans are all that good, nor the Giants. Certainly we could lose those games, but I would initially put them as wins. I'd put one Ravens game as a loss as well. Browns may get one too.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't see how on earth you carve up the schedule with that many wins considering what we have seen to date.

I posted this in another thread but here :

@ Patriots (L)
Browns (W) Just about, but we historically play to Cleveland's level and they at least show fight.
Redskins (L) and sadly i will be there to see it in person
@Giants (L)
Bills (L) Good Running back and Mobile QB, yeh another loss.
@Ravens (L)
Eagles (L) we suck against rookie QB's
@Browns (L) Split the series
Steelers (L)
@Texans (W) The Irony will be immense, we finally beat them when it means shit.
Ravens (L)

Again i remind you we scrapped a win against the Jets (a team that others are picking apart) and Miami (a team that's more hopeless than we are) There is nothing in those or the 3 losses that suggest we do much better than i have listed above.

We might with a lot of luck and a bit improvement, best case scenario scrape 2 or 3 wins from the Redkins/@Giants/@Browns/Bills games, but that's being very hopeful. We are a 4-12 maybe 5-11 team at best i feel.
Reply/Quote
I see us sweeping Cleveland (hopefully). The Giants don't look all that good but it's Marvin Lewis Monday night football so that's a loss. Buffalo isn't great but they've been lucky these past few weeks. That could be a win as long as their luck runs out. We shouldn't have much of a problem with Washington but it's our old OC Gruden (I'm sure he knows us well) and London is not a home game, no matter what Goodell calls it. Eagles have a rookie QB so unless we fire Marvin by then that's a loss. The Ravens will sweep us, as will Pittsburgh. And Andy is what, 1 for 5 against his hometown Houston? Likely another loss. 

Extremely hard to see us making the postseason this year. Believe me I'd love to be wrong but from what I've seen so far we have no chance.
Reply/Quote
Nah, it's over
Reply/Quote
Have these 5 games shown us what the Bengals are, and what they're capable of? I don't think so. I think we're underperforming, and still trying to adjust huge changes to our team against tough opponents. Against Dallas we got more first downs, had more time of possession, won the turnover battle, and nearly had the same amount of yards and still got doubled up on points. Well coached teams don't let that happen. Our coaching and gameplanning is letting us down -- BIG TIME.
Reply/Quote
I am always making fun of the haters around heer who cry and squeal after any loss no matter what the situation. But this loss to the Cowboys was not just a fluke loss where we laid an egg. Instead it is the 5th straight game where we have seen the exact same problems.

I am not writing off the season. I still remember '12 when we started 3-5 but finished 6-1 and beat the Steelers with a playoff spot on the line. But this '16 team seems to have some real issues. We are getting beat in the trenches on bot sides of the ball. Going into the season I was concerned with our receiving corps and maybe our DBs, but I never thought we would have problems on our D-line and with pass protection on our O-line. D-line play and pass protection from our O-line have been our strengths the last few years.

We could turnit around, but we could also easily finish with a losing record.

Buffalo has beaten the Cards and Pats.

Redskins are 3-2 and they were a playoff team last year.

Eagles are 3-1 and blew out the Steelers 34-3.

Texans are 3-2, made the playoffs last year, and seem to own us.

Steelers own us.

We should beat the Ravens, but would not bet on us sweeping them.

6-10 is a possibility. I doubt we fall off that bad, but would not be really surprised if we do.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:49 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Nah, it's over

You said the same thing in '12.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:46 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: I don't see how on earth you carve up the schedule with that many wins  considering what we have seen to date.

I posted this in another thread but here :

@ Patriots (L)
Browns (W) Just about, but we historically play to Cleveland's level and they at least show fight.
Redskins (L) and sadly i will be there to see it in person
@Giants (L)
Bills (L) Good Running back and Mobile QB, yeh another loss.
@Ravens (L)
Eagles (L) we suck against rookie QB's
@Browns (L) Split the series
Steelers (L)
@Texans (W) The Irony will be immense, we finally beat them when it means shit.
Ravens (L)

Again i remind you we scrapped a win against the Jets (a team that others are picking apart) and Miami (a team that's more hopeless than we are) There is nothing in those or the 3 losses that suggest we do much better than i have listed above.

We might with a lot of luck and a bit improvement, best case scenario scrape 2 or 3 wins from the Redkins/@Giants/@Browns/Bills games, but that's being very hopeful. We are a 4-12 maybe 5-11 team at best i feel.

I think you are giving the Browns a little too much credit. You know their current QB is Charlie Whitehurst, right? No way we lose to them. 

I also dont think we lose to the Redskins at home. They arent that great. I also believe we are better than Baltimore and should beat them twice. 

The Giants, Eagles, Texans, and Bills games are toss ups in my opinion. Win 3 of those, its possible.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We are currently 2-3 and will in all likelihood lose next week against the Patriots. Taking that into account, that would leave us at 2-4.

Browns - W
Redskins - W
@Giants - L
Bills - W
@Ravens - W
Eagles - W
@Browns - W
Steelers - L
@Texans - L
Ravens - W

That's confident there, Weezy.

I had the Bengals going 10-6 coming into this season. If anything, the schedule looks harder than it did before the season started.

I had them with losses against the Broncos, Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers (here), Redskins, and one of the two Browns games.

The Bengals already lost @Steelers, which I had them winning. So that'd sit them at 9-7.

- - - -
Now....
The Ravens look like a decent team again, so sweeping them will be tough.
Eagles look like a good team.

Even if you figure they sweep the Browns, but lose one to the Ravens, that evens out in my predictions. Add in a loss to the Eagles, and all of a sudden the Bengals are an 8-8 team. Unless something seriously changes, that is where my predictions currently reside. 8-8

(9-7 doesn't get them into the playoffs, either. Losses to the Broncos, Patriots, Steelers x2, and Texans in your scenario gives them a 5-5 record in the AFC, which is terrible for tiebreakers.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think you are giving the Browns a little too much credit. You know their current QB is Charlie Whitehurst, right? No way we lose to them. 

I also dont think we lose to the Redskins at home. They arent that great. I also believe we are better than Baltimore and should beat them twice. 

The Giants, Eagles, Texans, and Bills games are toss ups in my opinion. Win 3 of those, its possible.
The Redskins game ain't at home.

I'll echo Fred's sentiment. I'm usually quite optimistic, but not now. The way they are playing in ALL 3 PHASES OF THE GAME, they will be lucky to win 3 more games.... Lucky.

Unless there's a miraculous turnaround, @ NE mind you, they are done this year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think you are giving the Browns a little too much credit. You know their current QB is Charlie Whitehurst, right? No way we lose to them. 

The Redskins are not at home, they are in London.
Reply/Quote

I like to have a good chukle at the Browns as much as anyone, but considering the complete lack of talent on the field frmo the bits ive seen this year they have shown some fight. Lets not forget we lost to this talented roster only a few years ago.

QB - Brian Hoyer
RB - Terrence West
WR - Miles Austin
WR - Taylor Gabriel
TE - Jim Dray

24-3 was the beat down that day in PB stadium. And we had a pretty strong roster that day. We could beat the browns 2-0 but i think 1-1 is more plausible.

The Redskins aren't pulling up any tree's no doubt, but they have a decent run game, a good TE and some deep threat WR's. You really are confident we get a W in London?

Then we have the Ravens who despite having some serious roster talent issues actualy find ways to win games which is the opposite to what the Bengals are currently doing.

Out of those : Giants, Eagles, Texans, and Bills maybe we get 2 wins at best. The Eagles and Bills game especially wreak of the kind of team and situations we tend to stink it up against.  
Reply/Quote
I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet and I expect the Bengals to lose this Sunday to the Patriots.

That said, maybe a road trip across the pond will help the team "get away" from the negativity a bit and they start back to being the team we expected?
Reply/Quote
We can pretty much guarantee that we will be 2-4 after next week. I'm assuming 10-6 makes playoffs. That means that we have to go 8-2 the rest of the way. Does anything about this team make you think we can really do that? The OL is garbage, we can't run the ball, we are giving up way too many big plays, penalties are killing drives and extending opponents' drives, etc..

We are 6-7 since the Houston game last year. 6-8 if you include the playoff loss. This is after an 8-0 start last year. This team is getting worse in all phases. How does this suddenly turn-around to 8-2? Please someone convince me.
Reply/Quote

Browns - W
Redskins - W
@Giants - L
Bills - W
@Ravens - W
Eagles - W
@Browns - W
Steelers - L
@Texans - L
Ravens - W

I'm not jumping on you for trying to shine some light on an abyss, but this team is done.

The NFL got exactly what they wanted.  When the steelers would punch the Bengals in the mouth, they never fought back.  Then, they actually started to...and the league hated it.  The NFL gave them a tough schedule (not the games, but the placement and timing of those games) and the Bengals have just laid down and died. 

They should have all the motivation in the world, but only their QB seems to want to win.  It is amazing to me how listless and defeated they looked from the first snap.  

They are a direct reflection of their coach:  gutless.  

They are done.  And it really, really pains me to say that.  I wanted more than anything to see a Super Bowl win with my father (84 years young) who attends all the home games with me.  It isn't going to happen.  Not with this squad.  Not with this coach.  

I watched the Raiders game (DVR) later in the day, and that team plays hard for their coach...they aren't as talented, but they play hard.  Ditto the Vikes.  

I hate watching this team.  Nothing grinds my gears more than a lack of passion.  And they are a passion vacuum.  
Reply/Quote

Browns - W
Redskins - W
@Giants - L
Bills - W
@Ravens - W
Eagles - W
@Browns - W
Steelers - L
@Texans - L
Ravens - W

Based on play to date - they split with Browns (Hue knows our play book), maybe split with the raisins.  Beagles, patsies, Ginuts and maybe Hillbillies are probable losses and foreskins is a coin flip! Bang Head
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You said the same thing in '12.

No, but I did say it in 2010 when we were sitting at 2-3...
Reply/Quote
I know it would likely mean the Bengals would have to have a top-5 pick, but I'd love to see a way for Myles Garrett to end up in stripes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote