Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Steelers Continue To Be Shitty At Drafting
(05-04-2016, 09:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sorry forgot about this thread and our chat.     I wouldn't put much stock into the ESPN depth chart.    Carlos Dunlap started for 2 years before marvin listed him as a starter on the official depth chart.    

As for Dupree we will see, but he has yet to splash.    OL will be easier to make a quick impact than Dupree admittedly.    As a steeler fan do you think Dupree will be a big difference maker?   Or just be an LB that flashes every once in a while.     Giving OL guys a year to break you down can't help him.    

Dupree has yet to splash, but it is waaaay too early to call him a swing and a miss. Ultimately in a year or two you could be right and Dupree could end up being a bust. But right now I'd bet against it. I like how he's progressing and I think it's off base to call him a miss after 1 season where he worked himself into a starting role. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 02:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000660210/article/steelers-release-offensive-lineman-mike-adams

2012 2nd round pick released.    Yet another reach by Tomlin.    You guys drafted better under Cowher.   It's amazing how well the drafts were with him vs Tomlin.

Btw I know this is smack but I'm Not posting this to get into a pissing match.   Just surprises me the difference between Cowher and Tomlin when it came to drafting.   Is it a player selection or player development issue?

You go on over to some Steelers boards and you'll find that you will have a lot of support for these statements. A lot. 

And on the surface it sure does feel that way. But assuming that every team will have some misses, he's actually not that bad (save for the DISASTROUS '09 draft where not one pick was on the team 4 years later). 

Check out his drafts and you will generally see that his #1s and #2s are/were pretty solid contributors, plus a lot of mid/late round gems like Mike Wallace, Manny Sanders, AB, and Kelvin Beachum. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/nfl-draft-history/#PIT
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 04:59 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You go on over to some Steelers boards and you'll find that you will have a lot of support for these statements. A lot. 

And on the surface it sure does feel that way. But assuming that every team will have some misses, he's actually not that bad (save for the DISASTROUS '09 draft where not one pick was on the team 4 years later). 

Check out his drafts and you will generally see that his #1s and #2s are/were pretty solid contributors, plus a lot of mid/late round gems like Mike Wallace, Manny Sanders, AB, and Kelvin Beachum. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/nfl-draft-history/#PIT

Thanks for the response.   I will dig a little deeper and check it out.   It's interesting to see that there is a divide amoung steeler fans on this topic .  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 09:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Thanks for the response.   I will dig a little deeper and check it out.   It's interesting to see that there is a divide amoung steeler fans on this topic .  

It's any fan base. You'll always have blind homers and you'll always have people who question every move the coaches, GM, and owners make. Hell just go browse around Jungle Noise for local proof
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2016, 09:19 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It's any fan base. You'll always have blind homers and you'll always have people who question every move the coaches, GM, and owners make. Hell just go browse around Jungle Noise for local proof

Well of course .   But the talent level and draft success seems to not be as consistent under Tomlin like it was under Cowher 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2016, 07:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well of course .   But the talent level and draft success seems to not be as consistent under Tomlin like it was under Cowher 

Oh, Cowher had his misses, and when they happened, they were spectacular.  Troy Edwards and Jamain Stephens come to mind as perhaps his biggest first round flops.  Scott Shields, Jeremy Staat, Alonzo Jackson and Steve Conley were all taken by Cowher's regime in the second.  Any of those names sound familiar?  Exactly.  And if you want to see a real bomb of a draft, check out '96.  That draft helped lay the foundation for a three year slump ('98-'00) in which Cowher twice did something Tomlin has yet to do even once - have a losing season.  

The thing is, fans in general suffer from a 'grass is greener on the other side' mentality.  One manifestation of that way of thinking is to long for 'golden' ages that weren't, in actuality, quite as golden as people remember them.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 01:19 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: This is weak smack.

Draft smack only works 2 years down the road.

Otherwise you sound like one of the clueless dudes that made threads about Keith Rivers being the next Ray Lewis :/
At least Rivers earned himself one of those baddest man on the planet type threads..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 09:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sorry forgot about this thread and our chat.     I wouldn't put much stock into the ESPN depth chart.    Carlos Dunlap started for 2 years before marvin listed him as a starter on the official depth chart.    

As for Dupree we will see, but he has yet to splash.    OL will be easier to make a quick impact than Dupree admittedly.    As a steeler fan do you think Dupree will be a big difference maker?   Or just be an LB that flashes every once in a while.     Giving OL guys a year to break you down can't help him.    

Dupree is a future pro bowler. I wouldn't lie to you. ThumbsUp

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dupree-wins-Steelers-top-rookie-honor/5a60b15c-7740-480c-9206-fd1d3a2d6ba0
Reply/Quote