Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sen. John McCain diagnosed with brain cancer
It is with much sadness that I report that our Arizona Senator, John McCain, has been diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer.

He's a good guy. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4712616/John-McCain-diagnosed-brain-cancer.html

This has been confirmed by other sources.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-19-2017, 09:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: It is with much sadness that I report that our Arizona Senator, John McCain, has been diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer.  

He's a good guy. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4712616/John-McCain-diagnosed-brain-cancer.html

This has been confirmed by other sources.

Shame.  Saw it on the news just now.

I didn't always agree with him but I thought he was a decent person.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Hell of a guy. As some have pointed out, it says a lot about him that outpourings of support are coming from all over the political spectrum. I did wonder if some of his moments in the Senate that people have noticed may have been partially a result of this. I am also sad at the hit to our foreign affairs this will have since he has been doing a good bit of Tillerson's job for a while now as a shadow diplomat.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
That sucks. My brother died of a glio. Same thing that got Ted Kennedy and Beau Biden. It's a death sentence.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Probably my biggest, within my lifetime, national regret, is that McCain didn't win the 2K GOP nomination. I firmly believe we'd live in a much better world if that had happened. Don't bother me with 2008 McCain, that GOP primary broke who he was a person and turned him into a guy solely focused on the objective, damning what it took to reach it. McCain and Powell were the last two Republicans I had 100% respect for.

Any man who served in combat in Vietnam has my respect.
(07-19-2017, 11:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Any man who served in combat in Vietnam has my respect.

And to think liberals would have spat on him had they had the opportunity.

Spitting possibly an urban legend but Vietnam vets certainly were treated badly.
(07-20-2017, 02:32 AM)Vlad Wrote: And to think liberals would have spat on him had they had the opportunity.

Spitting possibly an urban legend but Vietnam vets certainly were treated badly.

NO , those were not liberals, that was your hero Donald Trump. ThumbsUp

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/donald-trump-calls-mccain-loser-war-hero-32556131
(07-20-2017, 02:32 AM)Vlad Wrote: Spitting possibly an urban legend but Vietnam vets certainly were treated badly.

It's not and urban legend. My father is a disabled Vietnam veteran, and a part of an organization for Vietnam vets and those stories are real.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I like my Senators not with brain cancer.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(07-19-2017, 11:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Probably my biggest, within my lifetime, national regret, is that McCain didn't win the 2K GOP nomination.  I firmly believe we'd live in a much better world if that had happened.  Don't bother me with 2008 McCain, that GOP primary broke who he was a person and turned him into a guy solely focused on the objective, damning what it took to reach it.  McCain and Powell were the last two Republicans I had 100% respect for.

Any man who served in combat in Vietnam has my respect.

That was the first presidential election I was old enough to vote in and I was pulling for McCain then too. What a disappointing first election to have to choose from Bush or Gore. I guess that was better than what the first timers had to choose from this past election.

On a personal note, for a few months between getting out of the navy and starting college, I did landscaping on McCain's ranch in AZ. I never got the chance to meet him but his wife and children were very nice.
(07-20-2017, 08:41 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's not and urban legend. My father is a disabled Vietnam veteran, and a part of an organization for Vietnam vets and those stories are real.

I was going to say the same thing.  It happened to a friend of my father's as well.  My dad was lucky, he was career military so being in the army, and being surrounded by people who knew, really helped him cope with the two combat tours he did.

(07-20-2017, 10:09 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: That was the first presidential election I was old enough to vote in and I was pulling for McCain then too. What a disappointing first election to have to choose from Bush or Gore. I guess that was better than what the first timers had to choose from this past election.

On a personal note, for a few months between getting out of the navy and starting college, I did landscaping on McCain's ranch in AZ. I never got the chance to meet him but his wife and children were very nice.

McCain was crushing the primary until South Carolina when Rove unleashed his "illegitimate black baby" commercial.  I was actually excited about his impending victory.  If there is a hell, there is a special place in it for Karl Rove.  That man has done more damage to the United States than possibly any other.  IMO he's definitely top five on the list.

My first election was 1992, I voted Perot, not because I thought he'd win but because I wanted enough votes to go to a third party to make an actually viable third national party viable.  Not to be.
(07-20-2017, 10:09 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: That was the first presidential election I was old enough to vote in and I was pulling for McCain then too. What a disappointing first election to have to choose from Bush or Gore. I guess that was better than what the first timers had to choose from this past election.

(07-20-2017, 10:35 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I was going to say the same thing.  It happened to a friend of my father's as well.  My dad was lucky, he was career military so being in the army, and being surrounded by people who knew, really helped him cope with the two combat tours he did.

McCain was crushing the primary until South Carolina when Rove unleashed his "illegitimate black baby" commercial.  I was actually excited about his impending victory.  If there is a hell, there is a special place in it for Karl Rove.  That man has done more damage to the United States than possibly any other.  IMO he's definitely top five on the list.

My first election was 1992, I voted Perot, not because I thought he'd win but because I wanted enough votes to go to a third party to make an actually viable third national party viable.  Not to be.

To the bold: My second election but voted the same way.

To the rest: I voted for McCain in 2008 BECAUSE he got screwed in 2000.  I wanted to say I voted for him once even if I thought he shouldn't win and picked an awful running mate.  I know that is a horrible reason, no need to remind me!  Smirk
(07-20-2017, 10:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: To the bold: My second election but voted the same way.

To the rest: I voted for McCain in 2008 BECAUSE he got screwed in 2000.  I wanted to say I voted for him once even if I thought he shouldn't win and picked an awful running mate.  I know that is a horrible reason, no need to remind me!  Smirk

And what color was the guy you didn't vote for?   Ninja
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-20-2017, 10:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: To the bold: My second election but voted the same way.

I honestly would have voted McCain too, if he hadn't nominated Palin as VP.  I'd take Trump for twenty years as president over the risk of Palin being president for any amount of time.
(07-20-2017, 10:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: And what color was the guy you didn't vote for?   Ninja

Sort of a dark white....  Ninja

Edit: I should add I was also concerned about Obama's lack of experience. I fell for that trap with GW Bush. Thinking that surrounding himself with more experienced people would help.
(07-20-2017, 10:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sort of a dark white....  Ninja

Edit: I should add I was also concerned about Obama's lack of experience.  I fell for that trap with GW Bush.  Thinking that surrounding himself with more experienced people would help.

The key difference being that Obama is an intelligent man while W is, well, not.
(07-20-2017, 10:49 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The key difference being that Obama is an intelligent man while W is, well, not.

We're getting away from the thread, but I was good with GW until Iraq.  I'd still sit down and have a drink with him.  He frustrated me with his inability to communicate.  He probably sounded dumber than he is.

They are good people. Him, too.

Plus, he is one of the last GOP politicians around with the cajones to tell the party to STFU when they are out of line. You just don't find that much anymore.

(07-20-2017, 10:35 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My first election was 1992, I voted Perot, not because I thought he'd win but because I wanted enough votes to go to a third party to make an actually viable third national party viable.  Not to be.

I never voted for Bill Clinton. Never liked him much. I voted for Perot twice and for Nader in 2000 for the same season you gave. 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
The orange orangutan had the audacity to talk shit on John McCain. It didn't stop people from voting for him. This turns my stomach.
(07-20-2017, 08:41 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's not and urban legend. My father is a disabled Vietnam veteran, and a part of an organization for Vietnam vets and those stories are real.

Interesting.  My father didn't talk about it much but he was always angrier at the people who self-righteously sent him over there than anything that happened when he got back.  He died of brain cancer, too so double points for relevance in this thread.

Then again, I do recall a certain Vietnam vet who ran against Bush getting lambasted by people.