Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senior Bowl Coverage
(01-25-2018, 10:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: The accuracy issue is a footwork issue. He made some really nice throws in college that were NFL caliber. When he rushes his footwork, which to me is a result of living under pressure and on the run, then he tends to throw high. Someone is going to have to rework his footwork which has happened in the NFL. Newton had pretty bad footwork when he came in and it has gotten better during his career, but he does something similar in games where he is under pressure a lot his mechanics break down and he sails a lot of balls. 

I get that Cam is also not very accurate and therefore some have hope for Josh Allen, but Cam Newton is also a dynamic rusher to make up for his inaccuracy.
Josh Allen is not near the rusher that Cam is.

You may be right though that his accuracy could be correctable if it's really a footwork issue, but I feel he's easily a two-year project.
I wouldn't pull the trigger on that with a top 10 pick unless I had a veteran QB who might be retiring in 2-3 years and want to groom his replacement early.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 11:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: on my life I'm not. Name is Cole diehl. Member like I am of Lombardi's draft talk on FB. Dude is a amateur scout. This is what he was told and he's never lied before.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=9284950]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It seems that offensive lineman are going to run deep in the draft this year like the defensive lineman did last year. There are quite a few guys that are having a good senior bowl including some developmental tackles.

I have been disappointed in the Hawkeye Sean Welsh. The defensive figured out they can beat him with power early and he's been pushed back consistently. Of course a year in a NFL program could change that.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 10:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that Cam is also not very accurate and therefore some have hope for Josh Allen, but Cam Newton is also a dynamic rusher to make up for his inaccuracy.
Josh Allen is not near the rusher that Cam is.

You may be right though that his accuracy could be correctable if it's really a footwork issue, but I feel he's easily a two-year project.
I wouldn't pull the trigger on that with a top 10 pick unless I had a veteran QB who might be retiring in 2-3 years and want to groom his replacement early.

Dak and Wentz had bad footwork aswel coming out, Dak still struggles with it at timesl. It is common in guys who did a lot of roll outs or did a lot of scrambling in college. Allen actually fits in the Wentz/Dak mold he can break tackles in the pocket and can run when he needs to. I like to use the Big Ben comparison but Wentz is a good comparison footwork wise. Wentz had issues over throwing guys when his footwork got bad and it was pretty inconsistent at times in college, but he had a better supporting cast around him to make up for it. 

Go back and watch the tape, when Allen gets a chance to set his feet in the pocket accuracy isn't an issue. The problem was he didn't get that chance to throw from a clean pocket often in college. I was actually impressed his accuracy was as good as it was when he was on the run. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 11:40 AM)Au165 Wrote: Dak and Wentz had bad footwork aswel coming out, Dak still struggles with it at timesl. It is common in guys who did a lot of roll outs or did a lot of scrambling in college. Allen actually fits in the Wentz/Dak mold he can break tackles in the pocket and can run when he needs to. I like to use the Big Ben comparison but Wentz is a good comparison footwork wise. Wentz had issues over throwing guys when his footwork got bad and it was pretty inconsistent at times in college, but he had a better supporting cast around him to make up for it. 

Go back and watch the tape, when Allen gets a chance to set his feet in the pocket accuracy isn't an issue. The problem was he didn't get that chance to throw from a clean pocket often in college. I was actually impressed his accuracy was as good as it was when he was on the run. 

Dak still had a higher completion percentage every year in college than what Allen had. Wentz too.
And Carson Wentz had better receivers at a D2 school compared to Allen, who played in the MWC? MWC should pull better players than a D2 school overall.

I get what you're saying, but Josh Allen's stats still reveal a guy who was incredibly inaccurate.
I don't think he'll go to a team that constantly gives him a clean pocket, and therefore he'll likely really struggle for at least his first couple years while he develops.

All I'm saying is the team that drafts him has to understand the risk and be willing to accept he's not NFL-ready out of the gate.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Dak still had a higher completion percentage every year in college than what Allen had. Wentz too.
And Carson Wentz had better receivers at a D2 school compared to Allen, who played in the MWC? MWC should pull better players than a D2 school overall.

I get what you're saying, but Josh Allen's stats still reveal a guy who was incredibly inaccurate.
I don't think he'll go to a team that constantly gives him a clean pocket, and therefore he'll likely really struggle for at least his first couple years while he develops.

All I'm saying is the team that drafts him has to understand the risk and be willing to accept he's not NFL-ready out of the gate.

Again all I can say is watch the tape, don't read stat lines. I have watched Iowa, Oregon, and Boise State and the common denominator is the guy is throwing on the run a heck of a lot more than he will anywhere in the NFL outside of Cincinnati haha. In the Iowa game I counted less than 10 of 40 drop backs he wasn't under pressure or on the run. He had plenty of big passes dropped in college and they weren't short routes he threw too hard, they were flat drops. The guy has a great feel for evading pressure and if he can get better at squaring up his shoulders on the run he can be a dangerous weapon when he escapes the pocket as he keeps his eyes down field.

I am simply saying, the accuracy stuff is over blown. He is a year two starter to me who could find himself starting late on a bad team already out of playoff hunt. A lot comes down to can a QB coach get him to reset his feet when things break down. The comparisons to Lynch are laughable though by some analysts, he is much closer to Big Ben coming out than Lynch.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 11:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: on my life I'm not. Name is Cole diehl. Member like I am of Lombardi's draft talk on FB. Dude is a amateur scout. This is what he was told and he's never lied before.

Wow, you work three jobs, watch every game of every prospect, correct every mock draft here and at go-bengals, you're a member of some Facebook group, and you're a scout? A scout who isn't at the Senior Bowl?

When do you find the time to sleep?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again all I can say is watch the tape, don't read stat lines. I have watched Iowa, Oregon, and Boise State and the common denominator is the guy is throwing on the run a heck of a lot more than he will anywhere in the NFL outside of Cincinnati haha. In the Iowa game I counted less than 10 of 40 drop backs he wasn't under pressure or on the run. He had plenty of big passes dropped in college and they weren't short routes he threw too hard, they were flat drops. The guy has a great feel for evading pressure and if he can get better at squaring up his shoulders on the run he can be a dangerous weapon when he escapes the pocket as he keeps his eyes down field.

I am simply saying, the accuracy stuff is over blown. He is a year two starter to me who could find himself starting late on a bad team already out of playoff hunt. A lot comes down to can a QB coach get him to reset his feet when things break down. The comparisons to Lynch are laughable though by some analysts, he is much closer to Big Ben coming out than Lynch.

In typing that....a move by Pitt to go up and get Allen if he were to fall to the 10th or so selection would be an amazing move by the Steelers organization. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Wow, you work three jobs, watch every game of every prospect, correct every mock draft here and at go-bengals, you're a member of some Facebook group, and you're a scout? A scout who isn't at the Senior Bowl?

He watched a youtube highlight video he's a scout

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again all I can say is watch the tape, don't read stat lines. I have watched Iowa, Oregon, and Boise State and the common denominator is the guy is throwing on the run a heck of a lot more than he will anywhere in the NFL outside of Cincinnati haha. In the Iowa game I counted less than 10 of 40 drop backs he wasn't under pressure or on the run. He had plenty of big passes dropped in college and they weren't short routes he threw too hard, they were flat drops. The guy has a great feel for evading pressure and if he can get better at squaring up his shoulders on the run he can be a dangerous weapon when he escapes the pocket as he keeps his eyes down field.

I guess I will have to go watch tape.
I don't typically watch tape on players unless I'm really interested in them potentially becoming a Bengal, and since I don't see any reason for the Bengals to consider Josh Allen, I haven't watched tape on him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I still don't see the Bengals taking a QB till possibly day 3. I still think Mason Rudolph will be the best QB in this class when all set and done in a couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess I will have to go watch tape.
I don't typically watch tape on players unless I'm really interested in them potentially becoming a Bengal, and since I don't see any reason for the Bengals to consider Josh Allen, I haven't watched tape on him.

I normally do the same, but I got interested in him as kind of a "Can he be Wentz" thought. I don't think he is Wentz because Wentz has frankly been amazing but he has some real potential.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:50 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I still don't see the Bengals taking a QB till possibly day 3. I still think Mason Rudolph will be the best QB in this class when all set and done in a couple of years.

Yea, the Allen talk isn't in regards to Bengals just general stuff. I think Driskell will be the back up next year with a day 3 QB or UDFA for the PS like normal. 
Reply/Quote
I'm liking Parker more and more. He looks like a more natural right tackle at this point, but he sure does have all the measurable's. This could be a a potential 2nd or 3rd round tackle depending on how he grades out.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Wow, you work three jobs, watch every game of every prospect, correct every mock draft here and at go-bengals, you're a member of some Facebook group, and you're a scout? A scout who isn't at the Senior Bowl?

Definition of a "hot take" columnist. A Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith kind of person.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=9284950]
3500 plus members on Facebook. Many amateur scouts. Run by vioch Lombardi who plenty of people post his YouTube videos on here.
(01-25-2018, 12:28 PM)Okeana Wrote: He watched a youtube highlight video he's a scout

I don't watch highlights.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 07:16 PM)Jpoore Wrote: 3500 plus members on Facebook. Many amateur scouts. Run by vioch Lombardi who plenty of people post his YouTube videos on here.

I don't watch highlights.

What defines "amateur" scout?  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 07:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What defines "amateur" scout?  

To me? Someone who has own website, and does some traveling to games and watches a lot of film and can explain why a player is better than someone else and why said player will do good.
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/956594542358159360
https://twitter.com/whodeynationews/status/956601506861670400
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/PFF_Ben/status/956541516868128768
Reply/Quote