Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious question.
Outside the top 40 prospects is there an offensive tackle anyone of you are sold on to do the following two things for us….?
Fill in for Brown like a potential starter this season.
By next season take over right tackle as a our future on the right side.
If so who!?
(BTW I have Kingsley Suamataia at #37)
Reply/Quote
I like Christian Jones (UT) as a mid-round prospect. Good as a RT prospect
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Dominick Puni as a mid round option.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 09:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: I like Dominick Puni as a mid round option.

I like puni a lot as a serviceable back up at almost every offensive line spot and possible Immediate upgrade over Volson out the gate.
Not sure he’s my guy for the future tho at right tackle.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 08:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I like Christian Jones (UT) as a mid-round prospect. Good as a RT prospect

So you’d be fine with them drafting Christian jones as the back to brown this year and then the starter next year and on? I like Christian jones a a second tackle drafted but idk about as the future
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 10:04 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: So you’d be fine with them drafting Christian jones as the back to brown this year and then the starter next year and on?  I like Christian jones a a second tackle drafted but idk about as the future

Trent Brown was taken in the 7th Round. So yeah. I'd be willing to see if a 4th-5th rounder could replace him. 

Reply/Quote
Blake Fisher out of Notre Dame.

Athletic guy that I think could play either tackle spot.

Probably need to trade up in the third to get him but he'll be worth it.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 04:02 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Outside the top 40 prospects is there an offensive tackle anyone of you are sold on to do the following two things for us….?
Fill in for Brown like a potential starter this season.
By next season take over right tackle as a our future on the right side.  
If so who!?
(BTW I have Kingsley Suamataia at #37)

There may be guys that can do the second, but not the first. 

Thing about this T class is it's extremely top heavy.  There are 9 in the Top 50, but only 2 from 51-100, 4 from 101-150, and only 1 from 151-200.  So 9 in the Top 50, only 7 from there until guys who are squarely in 7th round/UDFA territory.

This is why, for me, if you don't take a T at 18, you need to seriously be trying to move up into the end of 1 or the top of 2 to get one.  
Reply/Quote
Tanor Bortolini has a prospect score of 5.84 but a next-gen stat of 79, the second being the highest of all prospects graded below 6.3 and scored a 99 on athleticism score. Jordan Morgan and Jackson Powers Johnson scored 84 and 85 respectively on the next-gen stat and have a prospect grade of 6.36 ranking them 10th and 11th. Christian Mahogany has a next-gen stat of 79 and prospect grade of 6.2.

I don't know how well next-gen stats are correlated with success, but these players seem to be the athletically gifted but lacking refinement and should be there in the second or third round.
Reply/Quote
The problem I have with the OTs in the 2nd round or later is that many of the options feel like risks if they had to give us any real playing time in 2024 and the ledge (at which you fall from "good value at the draft position" to "bad value at the draft position") of the class is much earlier than DT or WR.

There are a few that I would be willing to draft past the first round, but they all have question marks and I would be worried about starting them too early.

Kiran Amegadjie, OT Yale has the size (6'5" 232 lbs), length (36 1/8" arms), strength and starting experience to play tackle in the NFL. He appears to have the athleticism as well, but he wasn't invited to the combine so he hasn't been given an RAS yet (He likely had a pro day and Mathbomb just hasn't gotten to him yet). The problem is he went to Yale, which is an FCS school and it will take him time to acclimate to that jump in competition. He isn't a refined blocker in many ways (hand placement, footwork, angles, etc) so he would be a disaster if Trent Brown gets injured in training camp or something.

Blake Fisher, OT Notre Dame isn't an athletic marvel like Amegadjie, but he's an above average athlete (RAS 7.72). He has the experience against the highest competition in college football and is more refined because of this. The question with Fisher is his ceiling. He could probably start early in his career, but he isn't particularly strong or athletic, relatively speaking. Would he be the anchor at RT that would justify drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd round? My concern is he will be drafted before the Bengals would be comfortable taking him. If you want Fisher, you may need to take him at 49. I question if the value is there. Especially since he may be a technically sound OT, but would struggle with speed rushers off the edge as well as being pushed back by power rushers.

Roger Rosengarten, Matt Gonclaves and Dominick Puni are all guys who would fit that same Blake Fisher mold of guys that have the experience to start and are not considered "raw" prospects, but may not have the athletic upside to be considered safe picks to start on day 1.

With all that said, I really hope we just draft our RT in the first round.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trent Brown was taken in the 7th Round. So yeah. I'd be willing to see if a 4th-5th rounder could replace him. 

So because Trent brown was drafted in the 7th round ur willing to wait late with a team that can’t hit on olineman to save their life. Why are we Al trying to make this harder. I don’t think ima feel comfortable if brown goes down week two and we have a 4/5th rounder rookie off the bench to play immediately and then be the future lol
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 12:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: There may be guys that can do the second, but not the first. 

Thing about this T class is it's extremely top heavy.  There are 9 in the Top 50, but only 2 from 51-100, 4 from 101-150, and only 1 from 151-200.  So 9 in the Top 50, only 7 from there until guys who are squarely in 7th round/UDFA territory.

This is why, for me, if you don't take a T at 18, you need to seriously be trying to move up into the end of 1 or the top of 2 to get one.  

Exactly my point. Which is why we almost must take a tackle at 18. Ur answer is literally the entire point of my post
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 12:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Blake Fisher out of Notre Dame.

Athletic guy that I think could play either tackle spot.

Probably need to trade up in the third to get him but he'll be worth it.

Imo this is the only option after Kingsley suamataia in the second.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 09:40 AM)CJD Wrote: The problem I have with the OTs in the 2nd round or later is that many of the options feel like risks if they had to give us any real playing time in 2024 and the ledge (at which you fall from "good value at the draft position" to "bad value at the draft position") of the class is much earlier than DT or WR.

There are a few that I would be willing to draft past the first round, but they all have question marks and I would be worried about starting them too early.

Kiran Amegadjie, OT Yale has the size (6'5" 232 lbs), length (36 1/8" arms), strength and starting experience to play tackle in the NFL. He appears to have the athleticism as well, but he wasn't invited to the combine so he hasn't been given an RAS yet (He likely had a pro day and Mathbomb just hasn't gotten to him yet). The problem is he went to Yale, which is an FCS school and it will take him time to acclimate to that jump in competition. He isn't a refined blocker in many ways (hand placement, footwork, angles, etc) so he would be a disaster if Trent Brown gets injured in training camp or something.

Blake Fisher, OT Notre Dame isn't an athletic marvel like Amegadjie, but he's an above average athlete (RAS 7.72). He has the experience against the highest competition in college football and is more refined because of this. The question with Fisher is his ceiling. He could probably start early in his career, but he isn't particularly strong or athletic, relatively speaking. Would he be the anchor at RT that would justify drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd round? My concern is he will be drafted before the Bengals would be comfortable taking him. If you want Fisher, you may need to take him at 49. I question if the value is there. Especially since he may be a technically sound OT, but would struggle with speed rushers off the edge as well as being pushed back by power rushers.

Roger Rosengarten, Matt Gonclaves and Dominick Puni are all guys who would fit that same Blake Fisher mold of guys that have the experience to start and are not considered "raw" prospects, but may not have the athletic upside to be considered safe picks to start on day 1.

With all that said, I really hope we just draft our RT in the first round.

Boom! Too many question marks outside the top tackles to feel comfortable at all with any of them going forward whether it be to come in quick and serve as a starter cuz of injury or being the future next season.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 11:25 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: So because Trent brown was drafted in the 7th round ur willing to wait late with a team that can’t hit on olineman to save their life.  Why are we Al trying to make this harder.  I don’t think ima feel comfortable if brown goes down week two and we have a 4/5th rounder rookie off the bench to play immediately and then be the future lol

No, I'm willing to wait on RT because there are 21 other starting positions on an NFL team and we have a good starting RT (One of our top 2). It appears you are of the "OT early or you're wrong" mentality. I was merely providing you with a prospect who I think can meet what you asked. 

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 11:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No, I'm willing to wait on RT because there are 21 other starting positions on an NFL team and we have a good starting RT (One of our top 2). It appears you are of the "OT early or you're wrong" mentality. I was merely providing you with a prospect who I think can meet what you asked. 

He’s good when he plays. He’s almost more hurt than healthy tho…. You conveniently leave out the massive injury risk in Trent Brown and imo if you don’t have the injury risk play in to the total value of a player then u may want to go back and do some more evaluating. Best ability is availability.. and brown when healthy yes is good but he gets hurt.. a lot and if/when he goes down who is our option? A 5th rounder? Nah man. I can’t have that. I’m simply pointing out the flaw in waiting for in THIS draft for another late prospect to be a starter on our oline. Thanks but no thanks. We’re gonna have to do better than that. Burrow is number 1. I don’t think people take that as serious as they should when I hear mention of a 5th round tackle as our bank for the future. I am most certainly in the camp of “OT early or you’re wrong”. Was in the same camp to of “if u take Ross here ur an idiot”. Some things r just too easy. Every season it’s the same narrative accross the globe. “Burrow needs to be protected better”. Yet every year come draft time everyone screams for bowers or Ross or more weapons. It’s embarrassing kinda.
Reply/Quote
For a RT outside the top 40, I like the idea of Cooper Beebe. He has played both tackle spots, even though he projects as a guard in the NFL.

He could serve as an immediate replacement for Volsen, and step in for Trent Brown this season is he went down.

Very good size, 322 lbs, three cone 7.44, forty time 5.03, shuttle 4.61, and broad jump 9'1".

Pending on the site, he projects anywhere from 45 to 90 in the draft.

Something outside the box.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 11:25 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: So because Trent brown was drafted in the 7th round ur willing to wait late with a team that can’t hit on olineman to save their life.  Why are we Al trying to make this harder.  I don’t think ima feel comfortable if brown goes down week two and we have a 4/5th rounder rookie off the bench to play immediately and then be the future lol

So you'd force an OT pick at 18 with a team that can't hit on linemen?  What difference does it make?  Using your logic, if we can't hit on linemen than I'd rather not waste a first rounder on one.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 12:11 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: He’s good when he plays.  He’s almost more hurt than healthy tho…. You conveniently leave out the massive injury risk in Trent Brown and imo if you don’t have the injury risk play in to the total value of a player then u may want to go back and do some more evaluating.  Best ability is availability.. and brown when healthy yes is good but he gets hurt.. a lot and if/when he goes down who is our option? A 5th rounder?  Nah man. I can’t have that.  I’m simply pointing out the flaw in waiting for in THIS draft for another late prospect to be a starter on our oline.  Thanks but no thanks.  We’re gonna have to do better than that.  Burrow is number 1.  I don’t think people take that as serious as they should when I hear mention of a 5th round tackle as our bank for the future.  I am most certainly in the camp of “OT early or you’re wrong”. Was in the same camp to of “if u take Ross here ur an idiot”.  Some things r just too easy.  Every season it’s the same narrative accross the globe.  “Burrow needs to be protected better”. Yet every year come draft time everyone screams for bowers or Ross or more weapons.  It’s embarrassing kinda.

Yeah. I'm embarrassed by those fools "screaming" for Ja'Marr, Burrow, Higgins...Don't they know Oline is the only important position on an NFL Team?

Tee Higgins is also an injury risk and one the franchise tag, our STARTING LG is among the worst in the NFL (I know), we have 0 NTs on the team, and the worst TE in the AFC North

The team did what it could to replace RT by taking the best one available in FA. Of course he carries an injury risk; as does Joe Burrow and our recently departed NT that made everyone mad we lost. If they take OT at 18, great, but I can also see value in Brian Thomas, AD Mitchell, Brock Bowers.....Feel free to be embarrassed if you wish. 

Reply/Quote
Pollack has shown no ability to develop an OT, so if an OT is drafted, that OT has to be refined already that could start either this year or beginning of next year.
There's no OT outside the Top 40 who I could feel confident in being able to do that.
Obviously, there are players taken late who surprise most and hit the ground running quickly, so I easily could/will be wrong on this, but that's not a gamble I want to take as someone who is not a professional scout.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote