Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously considering giving up.
It's certainly poetic that the team seems poised to completely shit the bed in its 50th season.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:37 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'm not the doom and gloom type at all but I can hardly stomach watching Marvin anymore.

I was fine with giving him a 2nd chance in 2011 because the team made the post-season against all odds but it's obvious the progress went from a sprint, to a crawl to stepping back completely. Truthfully the final nail for me was the WC game. Total meltdown mode, I'm not sure a team could have failed as hard as that team did.

I've been watching Marvin since 05 and he hasn't adapted at all over these years. It's like watching a person who decided they know how to do something and won't re-think anything despite failing to meet the objective every year. He and Mike are really two peas.

I'm not done with the Bengal but I'm done with Marv and all the position coaches who have gotten a free ride.

Honestly, Marvin seemed to lose his way after the 09 WC loss to the Jets. When Graham missed that FG in the second half, the camera panned to Marvin and he had that bewildered look that we've grown accustomed to. He has just seemed so lifeless since that day. I think his ego took a hit when no one came calling after that disastrous 2010 season and he had to come back here and still not get everything he wanted from Mike Brown.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:22 AM)PhilHos Wrote: For those that have been on these and the old forums knows I'm a generally optimistic kind of guy. I'm the guy that criticises those for claiming "game over" after a turnover in the 1st quarter.

With that said, I don't know if I can do it anymore. I went through the entire 90s decade as a Bengal fan and never gave up. But somehow, last season and what looks like this season will turn into, have just started kill me inside.

I don't live in the Cincinnati area so aside from nationally televised games, I have to go through some effort to get to watch them every week and I just don't know if I can do it if these last 2 games are indicative of how the season is going to go.

Maybe if ML is fired, I'll get optimisitc again, but if the new HC is just a promoted current Bengals coach, then I will definitely be done with this team.

One of the greatest posts on here...ever. Yes, if Mike Brown refuses to bring in someone from the outside, I quit this team also. Why is Mike Brown so scared of change, and success? Imagine what we'd look like if we had somebody in place, with the ability of some of these players... there has to be coaches out there wanting to land in Cincinnati? You have so many player with ability being handicapped by the FO. I believe Marvin Lewis is a mole...it only makes sense. 
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
Probably harder for those of us in the Cincy area to give up on the team entirely, unless they ever move someday. I certainly gave up going to games years ago after Carson left though, unless a free ticket fell in my lap like two or three years ago. I consider that my personal boycott of Mike Brown (not that it matters).

I dont know, I wont stop watching games this year regardless what happens. But at same time I won't miss out on other things like my nieces or nephew soccer games. Or going to the Renaissance Festival or something like Oktoberfest etc.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:22 AM)PhilHos Wrote: For those that have been on these and the old forums knows I'm a generally optimistic kind of guy. I'm the guy that criticises those for claiming "game over" after a turnover in the 1st quarter.

With that said, I don't know if I can do it anymore. I went through the entire 90s decade as a Bengal fan and never gave up. But somehow, last season and what looks like this season will turn into, have just started kill me inside.

I don't live in the Cincinnati area so aside from nationally televised games, I have to go through some effort to get to watch them every week and I just don't know if I can do it if these last 2 games are indicative of how the season is going to go.

Maybe if ML is fired, I'll get optimisitc again, but if the new HC is just a promoted current Bengals coach, then I will definitely be done with this team.

Phil, I can't remember what year it was back on the "old old old" boards we first started chatting but I understand where you are at with this team. I grew up in Cincinnati, and moved away for work for a bout 10 years. I know the struggle of trying to find a way to see the game each week but at the time I was doing it, there was hope. Right now, is about as bad as this team has looked since the 90's under Shula.

Right now the defense is keeping it from being a total disaster but come mid season when they are all gassed from playing 3 quarters each game while the offense goes 3 and out of 1 and fumble/int this shit show will be even worse. I'd like to say there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'd like to believe Mike Brown cares and sees this and will fire Marvin and make changes but there is nothing in his history that gives any cause to believe that.

Mike needs to sell the team or at least get out of the way and let someone else run it...but he won't until he dies.

Marvin needs to be out of the NFL, let him go giggle and clap and the set of some NFL network show....but he'll be on the sidelines till Mike dies.

Andy looks lost and needs to be benched till he gets his head cleared....but he won't they'll toss him out there over and over because Marvin's job is safe.

Zampese might get canned but it won't be this year. He'll survive another season or whatever is left on his contract and then, he'll get shown the door as if it will fix all the problems.

Alexander and his hand picked line should be gone or benched for some players. However, he is Mike's guy and just like Marvin, if Mike is alive, he is here.

The question you have to ask yourself, and I ask myself as well, and this question is truly a brutal question. Can I manage to keep a small amount of interest in this team until Mike Brown dies. That's when change will possibly come, so can your interest in the team outlive that crusty old muppet in owner's box?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Myself
THE PISTONS
PhilHos, too?

Seems like there are quite a few board members from PA!   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:54 AM)tenacious-B Wrote: I've been quiet on these boards the past two seasons because I hate to be that guy venting after every loss, but this new low the Bengals have reached has me seriously questioning why I still follow this team. I've been a die-hard fan since I was a kid back in the early 80's and I've stuck by them through some really shitty seasons, but like the OP said, last season and these first two games are getting to be too much. They've killed all enjoyment I get from the NFL. And since I don't have it in me to root for any other team, they've basically ruined the entire league for me.

So until this organization shows they give a shit about winning and either fires Marvin, or at least that joke of an OC, Zampese, then I'm done following them. I feel really bad for Dalton, since he's shown that with good play-calling, like he got from Hue Jackson, he can play at a high level, but he's got nothing to work with as the Marvin/Zampese combo is uninspiring, lacks creativity and is painfully predictable. One of them absolutely has to go and someone from outside the building needs to be brought in. Anymore in-house promotions will not spur hope in me and will only further my belief that ownership does not give a shit about winning and cares only about money.

Like another post said, I'll casually check the scores on Sundays, but that's about it. I'm detaching myself from the Cincinnati Bengals and since I don't live in Cincy and had to put forth effort to watch their games, It should be pretty easy.

This is EXACTLY how I feel, and I pay 50.00 a month for Sunday Ticket to watch this garbage.  What makes me so sad is that nothing will change unless ownership decides to change it; and the odds of that happening are VERY slim.  It just sucks when your 9 year old son, who loves the Bengals, is not even excited anymore even though I am always positive about the Bengals around him.  He is always calling out stupid stuff like clock management and the o-line with no prompting from me.  If a 9 year old can see some of the problems then..............oh well.     

Who-Dey
Reply/Quote

I don't expect anything from this team until the coaching staff and management has been gutted. With a brand spanking new staff, I could deal with a couple of losing seasons just as long as it is the growing pains of playing aggressive and with passion.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The question you have to ask yourself, and I ask myself as well, and this question is truly a brutal question. Can I manage to keep a small amount of interest in this team until Mike Brown dies. That's when change will possibly come, so can your interest in the team outlive that crusty old muppet in owner's box?

I used to think so. Now, I just don't know, man. I just don't know.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 200.gif]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm to the point where I'm just waiting for the NHL season to start !! [Image: $]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:54 AM)tenacious-B Wrote: I've been quiet on these boards the past two seasons because I hate to be that guy venting after every loss, but this new low the Bengals have reached has me seriously questioning why I still follow this team. I've been a die-hard fan since I was a kid back in the early 80's and I've stuck by them through some really shitty seasons, but like the OP said, last season and these first two games are getting to be too much. They've killed all enjoyment I get from the NFL. And since I don't have it in me to root for any other team, they've basically ruined the entire league for me.

So until this organization shows they give a shit about winning and either fires Marvin, or at least that joke of an OC, Zampese, then I'm done following them. I feel really bad for Dalton, since he's shown that with good play-calling, like he got from Hue Jackson, he can play at a high level, but he's got nothing to work with as the Marvin/Zampese combo is uninspiring, lacks creativity and is painfully predictable. One of them absolutely has to go and someone from outside the building needs to be brought in. Anymore in-house promotions will not spur hope in me and will only further my belief that ownership does not give a shit about winning and cares only about money.

Like another post said, I'll casually check the scores on Sundays, but that's about it. I'm detaching myself from the Cincinnati Bengals and since I don't live in Cincy and had to put forth effort to watch their games, It should be pretty easy.
Sorry, but Dalton playing at a high-level...lol.  Dalton's never played at a high level.  Dalton's proved that if you can build him the perfect offense with 1st round pick WR1, TE, RT, RG, 2nd round LT, RB, WR, a really good defense, a really good Offensive Coordinator, that he can play just good enough to make the playoffs.  Seriously, what QB that's made it this far to the NFL could not do that surrounded by all that talent?  He's never stepped up and played well during primetime and he sure as hell never stepped up in the playoffs.  People seriously need to have their heads examined if they still think that the Bengals have a legitimate chance at winning a Superbowl with Dalton at QB, even if you took the best players at every position and coaches, Dalton cannot consistently win 3 back to back playoff games on the way to the most primetime game of all/Superbowl.  

He couldn't do it with a good line and Coordinator.  He sure as Hell cannot do it now.   
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 01:57 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Sorry, but Dalton playing at a high-level...lol.  Dalton's never played at a high level. 

So 2015 didn't happen? 

Get out of here with your bullshit. Dalton is not elite, but stop rewriting history to fit your own narrative.
Reply/Quote

Bye.  Wink
Reply/Quote
Cmon. You can't quit now. This is our paper bag over the head year.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:02 PM)Big Boss Wrote: It's certainly poetic that the team seems poised to completely shit the bed in its 50th season.

My crystal ball is seeing the headline "0-5 in 50"
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 02:31 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Cmon.  You can't quit now.  This is our paper bag over the head year.

I'm not quitting ... yet.

Just not sure how much more of this I can take.

As of now, I'm waiting until the offseason to see what, if any, changes are made. If Lewis is re-signed, I'm done. If he's gone, but MB replaces him with a coach already on the staff, I'm done.

It's just going to be a looooooooooooong season.
Reply/Quote
If we give up that makes us lower on the fan scale than Cleveland Browns fans! They never give up on their shitty team owned by a corrupt truck stop huckster even when they went 1-15. Let's be like '80s British singing sensation Rick Ashley sang and never give up.
Reply/Quote

I understand. Still, i have to always try to look at the optimistic side and this might actually get Marv fired...

0-2... historically terrible Offense... Zamp and PA fired... new HC, OC and OL coach...

We still have a talented roster Philhos and this could be just what the doctor ordered.

We were never going to win a playoff game with Marvin Lewis as our HC, wasn't going to happen.

We actually might have a chance if he is replaced with a dude that can actually coach.
Reply/Quote
And yet despite all of our woes of being fans of ineptedness to the 50th power we manage to drag ourselves to this site to vent frustrations that really ought to be enshrined on a statue of failure on Fountain Square . It's kind of like being fans of the troops wiped out at the Alamo.. 
Don't give up the ship said the crew of the good ship Valdez in Alaska.. 
This team is clouding my judgment of really lame jokes..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote