Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell vs Chase Civil War
Just started the vid. Who the hell are The Iceman, Steven, and Blake Jewell?

I'm sure that might get answered as the video goes on but it's kinda ruining my concentration. (I'm not saying they don't belong there, I just don't know who they are. And not knowing is bugging me.)
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just started the vid. Who the hell are The Iceman, Steven, and Blake Jewell?

I'm sure that might get answered as the video goes on but it's kinda ruining my concentration. (I'm not saying they don't belong there, I just don't know who they are. And not knowing is bugging me.)

Just fans I think. The one older guy (Ice) is apparently a fellow YouTuber.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just started the vid.  Who the hell are The Iceman, Steven, and Blake Jewell?

I'm sure that might get answered as the video goes on but it's kinda ruining my concentration.  (I'm not saying they don't belong there, I just don't know who they are.  And not knowing is bugging me.)

Blake Jewell covers Bengals news.  Here's his Twitter heading...

Blake Jewell

@BlakeJewellNFL
Covering the Bengals for@SInow/@AllBengals
Co-Host of@WhoDeyTalkPod/@PSG_inside fan

Cincinnati, OH
linktr.ee/BlakeJewellNFL
Joined June 2014
Reply/Quote
Willie almost sounds like he's team Chase.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:11 PM)BurnsBengal Wrote: Yeah this is a really good point and I actually even am leaning the Rd1/Rd2 Chase and Best OL gambit. 

If they do take Chase (or Pitts) in Rd. 1, the next 24 hours are going to be stressssful, particularly if there is a bit of a run on OL in the lower 1st.  Whereas if they go Sewell then I am cool with nearly whatever in the 2nd.  If they go Chase/Pitts there is almost a selfish part of me that wants them to trade back into the first even at the cost of some of next year's early picks just to avoid that heartburn.  Bengals go Chase and then DL/CB/LB in the 2nd there will be much teeth gnashing in Bengaldom.  Great point.

They still have some money to spend, I'd sign or consider dealing a 5th or 6th for a starter level OL to avoid being in this spot.  Zaven Collins is a good example of a quality prospect worth taking if he falls, regardless of DL and OL need.  Chase could be the right pick, and not building the line by the 2nd red shouldn't pin you to take a lesser player because of the need. 
Reply/Quote
Sorry - couldn't get past the first 3 minutes.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Willie said its the AFC North you have build up the trenches blah blah blah to compete.  But we already know such.
Of course he would say draft Sewell. 
But if Chad Johnson or Eddie Brown was on the panel they would say draft Chase.....it's all relative.
Intresting some said draft Sewell but they didnt break down 
Why him as oppoosed to Darrisaw or Radunz.

Did we watch different videos? I heard him say he wasn't sure the Bengals needed Sewell, and that with any other QB he might be team Sewell but with Burrow he has to go with Chase.... the shiny new toy as he calls him.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Absolutely!

I've never even heard of the school he played for, Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawks.

And his senior bowl picture... is... well it is a thing...

[Image: 601bea328092c.image.jpg]

His picture was a thing, but his consistent pancaking of top rated D-linemen was a bigger thing.
Reply/Quote
Quote:
(04-01-2021, 12:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Absolutely!

I've never even heard of the school he played for, Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawks.

And his senior bowl picture... is... well it is a thing...

[Image: 601bea328092c.image.jpg]

Quote:
(04-01-2021, 02:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote:His picture was a thing, but his consistent pancaking of top rated D-linemen was a bigger thing.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Man we need us some Meinerz!

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
This team needs to be renamed the Cincinnati Barracudas for their propensity to strike at shiny objects.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This team needs to be renamed the Cincinnati Barracudas for their propensity to strike at shiny objects.

Nothing wrong with liking the shiny things...

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
It definitely didnt seem like Willie was totally sold on Sewell being a sure thing as a top 5 pick. Its hard to say. I would've liked him to weigh in on Slater honestly. There are some who think he's the better prospect over Sewell. We could trade back a few spots and get him, but some think he's worthy of a top 5 pick the way it is. 

Anyway its quite a thing this draft vs our needs. We have 2 excellent WR's in Higgins and Boyd, and a Tate has played solid as well. We lost AJ, Ross and Erickson, but none of them really produced much last year anyway. Those numbers could be replaced in later rounds and probably after June 1st cuts. in FA. Chase is more of a luxury pick, but his ability to stretch the field is undeniable and he could give us a legit deep homerun threat. 

But we need to be able to protect Burrow AND run the ball in a bad way, so the OL needs some fixin either way. The questions in my mind are: 
How much difference will Pollack make? 
Will Hopkins be ready and if he is, will he be the same? 
Can Price build off his solid game at C against the Titans and become a quality C for us if Hopkins isnt ready or the same? 
How much will Adeniji give us and can he be a solid future RT with good coaching? 
What will Spain and XSF bring with a better coach and full/real offseason? 

Right now, imo, our biggest need is at OG and maybe C. Reiff gives us stability at RT for at least a year, and Fred Johnson is a decent backup at RT. Even if Spain and XSF play well, if one of them get hurt, who steps in --Jordan? I'd like to see Jordan off the team. He's a liability. 

As of now Id rather either take Chase, or trade back a few spots and get Slater and extra picks. I wish Sewell had a bigger body of work against more elite pass rushers. But if we take him I wont be upset because his ceiling is high for sure.  
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:06 PM)bengaloo Wrote: But we need to be able to protect Burrow AND run the ball in a bad way, so the OL needs some fixin either way. The questions in my mind are: 
How much difference will Pollack make? 
Will Hopkins be ready and if he is, will he be the same? 
Can Price build off his solid game at C against the Titans and become a quality C for us if Hopkins isnt ready or the same? 

This is the root of the problem and you nailed it.

There will be times the Bengals face a defense with a solid pass rush and an outstanding secondary. That’s the modern NFL. In cases like this, the Bengals need to be able to run the ball to move the chains. Zac Taylor needs to understand this is the AFC North, not the NFC West.

To answer the question about Frank Pollock and Billy Price we need to go back to 2018. Before finishing the season badly, the Bengals started out 4-1 with some quality offensive line play before Billy Price was injured.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is the root of the problem and you nailed it.

There will be times the Bengals face a defense with a solid pass rush and an outstanding secondary. That’s the modern NFL. In cases like this, the Bengals need to be able to run the ball to move the chains.  Zac Taylor needs to understand this is the AFC North, not the NFC West.

To answer the question about Frank Pollock and Billy Price we need to go back to 2018.  Before finishing the season badly, the Bengals started out 4-1 with some quality offensive line play before Billy Price was injured.

Yeah thanks for the reminder on that. I think a lot of Price haters should take this into account. I had forgotten. All I know is Price didnt work out well under Turner at G, but when he played C last season I actually thought he looked better than Hopkins. He played a really good game, but PFF gave him a hilariously biased 18.6 pass blocking grade despite Burrow not even getting sacked that game. Gio averaged over 4ypc and so did Perine. Price was a big part of that. For all we know, Price under Pollack could be the Price we thought we were getting when drafting him. He could be the C we've been wanting. Is hard to tell because we were stuck with Turner for 2 years and he was terrible. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: To answer the question about Frank Pollock and Billy Price we need to go back to 2018.  Before finishing the season badly, the Bengals started out 4-1 with some quality offensive line play before Billy Price was injured.

(04-01-2021, 03:37 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah thanks for the reminder on that. I think a lot of Price haters should take this into account. I had forgotten. All I know is Price didnt work out well under Turner at G, but when he played C last season I actually thought he looked better than Hopkins. He played a really good game, but PFF gave him a hilariously biased 18.6 pass blocking grade despite Burrow not even getting sacked that game. Gio averaged over 4ypc and so did Perine. Price was a big part of that. For all we know, Price under Pollack could be the Price we thought we were getting when drafting him. He could be the C we've been wanting. Is hard to tell because we were stuck with Turner for 2 years and he was terrible. 

Health and blocking aside, I remember Price being a really poor and inconsistent snapper at C.

I don't have any stats or anything to reference for this, but I just remember his snaps looking awful. One at the ankles, next one at the shoulder, etc. It struck me as odd at the time that a 1st round C could snap that poorly.

He also somehow had 3 false starts his rookie year. As a center. (He had 2 as well in just 19% of the offensive snaps last year.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I was going to watch it live and then I seen John Sheeran on the panel.
Reply/Quote
Another video on the debate without the bias of being Cincy people.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Drafting Ja'Marr Chase is malpractice."

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I was going to watch it live and then I seen John Sheeran on the panel.

I find him extremely knowledgeable, and always enjoy the podcast he does with Anthony Cosenza.

Reply/Quote
Historically, we are soooo bad at picking OLine. Wayyyy too risky waiting further down to draft another Ced, Fisher, Price. Just take the surefire thing like what we did with Andre Smith. To help the run and pass game, there's really no argument, Sewell > Chase.

Still, I would make an exception for Pitts over both of them..... freakin' Falcons. =(
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 08:47 PM)Yogo Wrote: Historically, we are soooo bad at picking OLine.  Wayyyy too risky waiting further down to draft another Ced, Fisher, Price.  Just take the surefire thing like what we did with Andre Smith.  To help the run and pass game, there's really no argument, Sewell > Chase.

Excellent post
Reply/Quote