Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell vs Chase Civil War
(04-02-2021, 12:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah. I obviously love Joe but he has a lot to prove before he passes AJ.

so Joe isnt a homerun currently because he hasnt played 10 seasons in the NFL.

Got it

Justin Jefferson has a lot to prove before we can declare him a homerun first round pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:16 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: so Joe isnt a homerun currently because he hasnt played 10 seasons in the NFL.

Got it

Justin Jefferson has a lot to prove before we can declare him a homerun first round pick.

Jury is still out on any player that’s only played one season. But anyone that’s ready to say Burrow is already a better 1st round pick than AJ is just looking to argue at that point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jury is still out on any player that’s only played one season. But anyone that’s ready to say Burrow is already a better 1st round pick than AJ is just looking to argue at that point.

Burrow is a homerun pick currently.

something may happen down the road where things end tragically.

But he's currently a homerun
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:12 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: apparently. 

I know, right? 

We're so stupid for seeing Bodine get bullied and suck constantly

turns out,

that's actually decent play from a center

Crazy. I need to get my eyes checked

Well apparently he didn't play a lick in 2020 or 2019, but

Russell Bodine
2018 - 62.3
2017 - 66.8
2016 - 69.5
2015 - 60.5
2014 - 67.2

Trey Hopkins
2020 - 63.8
2019 - 62.4
2018 - 60.0
2017 - 60.2
2016 - 56.5

So Bodine while average is significantly better than Trey
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:23 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well apparently he didn't play a lick in 2020 or 2019, but

Russell Bodine
2018 - 62.3
2017 - 66.8
2016 - 69.5
2015 - 60.5
2014 - 67.2

Trey Hopkins
2020 - 63.8
2019 - 62.4
2018 - 60.0
2017 - 60.2
2016 - 56.5

you dont honestly believe this, right?
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:24 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: you dont honestly believe this, right?

Excuse me but PFF has spoken. Just ignore that he couldn't even play a snap the last two years.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:25 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Excuse me but PFF has spoken. Just ignore that he couldn't even play a snap the last two years.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jury is still out on any player that’s only played one season. But anyone that’s ready to say Burrow is already a better 1st round pick than AJ is just looking to argue at that point.

Nay, I think the issue is: Chase isn't a better first round pick than Sewell just because AJ was solid and most of our OL have sucked. 

I mean, by that logic, John Ross should've been amazing and Zeitler should've sucked.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:22 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Burrow is a homerun pick currently.

something may happen down the road where things end tragically.

But he's currently a homerun

I mean, everyone here knows where I stand on Burrow, so I’m not going to get into a debate over this, but who was our last home run pick in the 1st round before Joe?

Who was the last pick that was literally franchise altering (I love Bates but I wouldn’t really consider him franchise altering)?

Reply/Quote
Here's an interesting question for the Sewell fans. If he is not there at #5 do you take Slater/other OL or do you take Pitts/Chase?

No trade down option.

Also to the Chase fans if Chase and Pitts are gone do you take Sewell or a different WR?
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:23 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well apparently he didn't play a lick in 2020 or 2019, but

Russell Bodine
2018 - 62.3
2017 - 66.8
2016 - 69.5
2015 - 60.5
2014 - 67.2

Trey Hopkins
2020 - 63.8
2019 - 62.4
2018 - 60.0
2017 - 60.2
2016 - 56.5

You put Hopkins on a line with Whit, Boling, Zeitler, and Andre and the fans will complain about him, too, because he's the obvious weak link. Put Bodine between MJ and Redmond and the fans wouldn't ***** about him near as much.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jonah looks decent, but let’s be honest (since we’re using history to make our future decisions) who was our last absolute home run 1st round pick? Easily AJ right? That’s what you want out of a top 5 pick. A home run. Not saying Sewell wouldn’t be (his ceiling is crazy high), but I think there’s more of a chance of him being just a decent player than there is with Chase, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Especially after seeing what Justin Jefferson just did his rookie season.

We're not using history alone. I already went down the list of other reasons for taking Sewell with you. Addressing your post, I view them BOTH as elite prospects who are pretty can't miss. I just think our need is greater on the line, and don't like passing on an elite prospect who addresses our biggest need, based on "what if's".

(04-02-2021, 12:12 AM)Whatever Wrote: Jonah has looked solid.  He has not looked like a franchise cornerstone.  Sewell is graded higher, but only slightly.  Lance Zierlien for example graded Jonah 6.70 and has Sewell 6.73.  Both were Top 5 guys on most big boards.

You realize the average career length for a 4th round pick is only 5 years, right?  Bodine was certainly not a home run, but he wasn't a whiff by any stretch.  

The last OL they took in the 2nd round was an All Pro and better than any 1st round OL we've taken this century.  Based on that, I'd say they should wait until the 2nd round to address the OL.  

I just know the hype around Sewell has been far greater than the hype around Jonah. Was Jonah listed as the #2 prospect in the draft by many sites? Was he top 3 on most big boards? I don't think so.

As for Bodine, you can't can't give him bonus points for being a 4th round pick. If the argument for passing on Sewell is "take a guy later", I don't want a guy who was semi-decent for a 4th rounder. Btw, starting games doesn't make you a good player. We were starting a guy who sucked, and that's why he was out of the league at 27 years old.

If we pass on Sewell and get a guy later who has the same career as Bodine (the best of the sad crop of mid round linemen we've taken recently), then that will be a failure of epic proportions.

To your last line, I'm not sure who you're talking about. The last lineman we took in the 2nd round was Jake Fisher...and he certainly wasn't all-pro.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:31 AM)Whatever Wrote: You put Hopkins on a line with Whit, Boling, Zeitler, and Andre and the fans will complain about him, too, because he's the obvious weak link. Put Bodine between MJ and Redmond and the fans wouldn't ***** about him near as much.

You bring up a good point. Damn you Clint for retiring early. 
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:30 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Here's an interesting question for the Sewell fans. If he is not there at #5 do you take Slater/other OL or do you take Pitts/Chase?

No trade down option.

Also to the Chase fans if Chase and Pitts are gone do you take Sewell or a different WR?

I take Sewell all day if Chase isn't there.  I take Chase all day if Sewell isn't there.  I take Pitts all day if they're both gone.

I would honestly be ecstatic with Sewell, Chase, or Pitts.  They all look like great prospects that we can build around.  
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:36 AM)Whatever Wrote: I take Sewell all day if Chase isn't there.  I take Chase all day if Sewell isn't there.  I take Pitts all day if they're both gone.

I would honestly be ecstatic with Sewell, Chase, or Pitts.  They all look like great prospects that we can build around.  

I feel like everyone feels this way yet will argue day and night if all 3 were to be there.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:35 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: You bring up a good point. Damn you Clint for retiring early. 

Yeah, it definitely sucked, but I get it. Health first.  Hope he's enjoying his millions with his family.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:37 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I feel like everyone feels this way yet will argue day and night if all 3 were to be there.

At the end of the day, the Bengals are going to do what they're going to do.  I go back and forth between Sewell and Chase and what I would do personally, but if Joe wants Chase, I say give him Chase.  Keeping Joe Burrow happy with the Bengals is just as important as keeping him healthy.  If Joe is going to be out there playing recruiter and taking guys out to dinner to try to get them here, that's a huge help to a team that doesn't have the greatest reputation.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:30 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Here's an interesting question for the Sewell fans. If he is not there at #5 do you take Slater/other OL or do you take Pitts/Chase?

No trade down option.

I’ll answer both since I’m a fan of both players.

Scenario #1? Chase or Pitts. Either one would be fantastic.

Scenario #2? Sewell. Both these are pretty easy answers, imo.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I just know the hype around Sewell has been far greater than the hype around Jonah. Was Jonah listed as the #2 prospect in the draft by many sites? Was he top 3 on most big boards? I don't think so.

As for Bodine, you can't can't give him bonus points for being a 4th round pick. If the argument for passing on Sewell is "take a guy later", I don't want a guy who was semi-decent for a 4th rounder. Btw, starting games doesn't make you a good player. We were starting a guy who sucked, and that's why he was out of the league at 27 years old.

If we pass on Sewell and get a guy later who has the same career as Bodine (the best of the sad crop of mid round linemen we've taken recently), then that will be a failure of epic proportions.

To your last line, I'm not sure who you're talking about. The last lineman we took in the 2nd round was Jake Fisher...and he certainly wasn't all-pro.

CBS had Jonah at 3, and they were the go to at that time.  There was a ton of hype about Jonah, but it may not have seemed that way around here because there was no way he was supposed to fall to us, whereas it seems likely Sewell will make it to us.

Whether a pick is a hit or a whiff very much matters based on where they're drafted.  I don't think anybody is advocating waiting until round 4 to draft an OL.  Pretty much everyone that wants Chase or Pitts wants OL in 2 and again in 3 or 4.  

Fair point, there.  Completely blanked on Fisher.
Reply/Quote
Bodine couldn’t keep a job once he left cincy, and I’m supposed to believe he was an average starting nfl center

I love it.
Reply/Quote