Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia
(08-20-2021, 09:45 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: All is well, TT! I'm just working away, enjoying my summer going for drives and little things with my wife, tending to my garden, watching sports (Jays, Olympics and Bengals) and going fishing whenever I can.

Hadn't had a vacation since 2019, so this was much-needed (even though I drove 8,500+ KMs on the trip {5281 miles, roughly}, so didn't, "rest," as much LOL), but other than this, my life has been mainly status-quo.

Keeping my head up and doing my best! :)

Good to hear man.  I'm doing well also.  But this mask thing has me considering becoming a fellow Canuck, Lol  How is the mask situation up there?   
Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 11:36 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good to hear man.  I'm doing well also.  But this mask thing has me considering becoming a fellow Canuck, Lol  How is the mask situation up there?   
Hilarious

People are complying; businesses have a sign out front, stating if you need one or not and there hasn't been any massive backlash or anything; there are a few people who aren't too happy about it (people I know too) and they're posting a ton of negative shit on social media, but most of the country is cool with things: 64.4% of our population is fully vaccinated and 72% has 1 shot and taking into account that (through estimates of Stats Canada) 19-21% of the population is comprised of children, the overwhelming majority of our adult country is fully vaccinated and almost all have 1 shot, so even with the vaccine, we are still wearing masks, save for outdoors and in small groups.

I guess we don't like conflict up here and roll with the mandates LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: As someone who used to dive, I have always been amazed at the number of screwed up looking fish in the ocean. There are some very nasty looking creatures down there.

In the River too, ever watch River Monsters? There are some nasty river fish all over the world, South America really stands out as a
hot spot for monsters and so does Africa in certain spots. Speaking of nasty ocean fish, some of those Goliath Groupers freak me out 
wouldn't want to run into one of those buggers in a dive. They like to hang out under docks in dark water and are WAY bigger than 
we are.

Twitch
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: In the River too, ever watch River Monsters? There are some nasty river fish all over the world, South America really stands out as a
hot spot for monsters and so does Africa in certain spots. Speaking of nasty ocean fish, some of those Goliath Groupers freak me out 
wouldn't want to run into one of those buggers in a dive. They like to hang out under docks in dark water and are WAY bigger than 
we are.

Twitch

Luckily, they don't go after huge prey/what they can't chew (they aren't like Sharks) and the main concentration of them in the world, is around the huge bridges in the Florida Keys, so I'd think us humans would be ok Wink. But yeah, they are just gargantuan and like all Groupers/Snappers, they come out of their hole, grab their food and swim right back; if you don't lock down that drag enough or have a strong enough line, you'll wreck EVERYTHING.

As for the Amazon and Africa, yes, there are some MASSIVE creatures in rivers. I've loved the Arapaima since I was 13/14 or so and it's just so cool to see one (we have 3 in the Toronto Zoo and they have to be at least 4 feet long), while the Goliath Tigerfish has always been fascinating as well (due to River Monsters).
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 02:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Luckily, they don't go after huge prey/what they can't chew (they aren't like Sharks) and the main concentration of them in the world, is around the huge bridges in the Florida Keys, so I'd think us humans would be ok Wink. But yeah, they are just gargantuan and like all Groupers/Snappers, they come out of their hole, grab their food and swim right back; if you don't lock down that drag enough or have a strong enough line, you'll wreck EVERYTHING.

As for the Amazon and Africa, yes, there are some MASSIVE creatures in rivers. I've loved the Arapaima since I was 13/14 or so and it's just so cool to see one (we have 3 in the Toronto Zoo and they have to be at least 4 feet long), while the Goliath Tigerfish has always been fascinating as well (due to River Monsters).

Yeah, they won't eat yah unless they are WAY bigger than you are, who knows how big they get, big ocean. But yeah, they are
mostly down in the Keys. They sure look fun to catch and release, probably couldn't get a big one on a boat anyways.

Saw those Arapaima before on River Monsters, same with the Goliath Tigerfish that scares the crap outta me. Saw some fish in
Africa on one big, fast moving river that had monster teeth and was like 4 and a half feet long, freaky.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 12:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: People are complying; businesses have a sign out front, stating if you need one or not and there hasn't been any massive backlash or anything; there are a few people who aren't too happy about it (people I know too) and they're posting a ton of negative shit on social media, but most of the country is cool with things: 64.4% of our population is fully vaccinated and 72% has 1 shot and taking into account that (through estimates of Stats Canada) 19-21% of the population is comprised of children, the overwhelming majority of our adult country is fully vaccinated and almost all have 1 shot, so even with the vaccine, we are still wearing masks, save for outdoors and in small groups.

I guess we don't like conflict up here and roll with the mandates LOL

It's all that legal weed you guys have access to.
Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I need to get out and do more saltwater fishing. I spend all my time on mountain blue lines fishing for tiny fish. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 01:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I need to get out and do more saltwater fishing. I spend all my time on mountain blue lines fishing for tiny fish. LOL

LOL trust me, Matt; this was my first time on the salt in almost 2 years and it'll be at least another 2, before I make it out there again (unless I win the lottery or something).

I'm perfectly content with Pike and Bass Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 01:52 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL trust me, Matt; this was my first time on the salt in almost 2 years and it'll be at least another 2, before I make it out there again (unless I win the lottery or something).

I'm perfectly content with Pike and Bass Big Grin

Oh, I'm a brookie chaser. Pike and bass are fun and all, but this is my usual target.

[Image: 1HGCoFk.jpg]

I even microfish for darters, dace, sculpins, etc.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 02:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Oh, I'm a brookie chaser. Pike and bass are fun and all, but this is my usual target.

So beautiful!

And I DESPERATELY want to go mircofishing for those same species (Chub as well, Shiners, etc.) but I have absolutely no places I know I can go (I just don't know, not that they don't exist). I have all the equipment as well, what should I look for location-wise, IYO?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 04:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: smallest shark of the day

[Image: OGC.51380ce30f99b759046caa25a960c7f1?pid...NkdjmLQ%3d]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 02:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Luckily, they don't go after huge prey/what they can't chew (they aren't like Sharks) and the main concentration of them in the world, is around the huge bridges in the Florida Keys, so I'd think us humans would be ok Wink. But yeah, they are just gargantuan and like all Groupers/Snappers, they come out of their hole, grab their food and swim right back; if you don't lock down that drag enough or have a strong enough line, you'll wreck EVERYTHING.

My grandparents would stay at a KOA in the Florida Keys during the winters. I was lucky enough to spend about a week with them each year when I was a kid. The fishing was great. It will spoil you. You’ll never look at bass fishing the same.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 05:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: My grandparents would stay at a KOA in the Florida Keys during the winters. I was lucky enough to spend about a week with them each year when I was a kid. The fishing was great. It will spoil you. You’ll never look at bass fishing the same.

Trust me, one of my biggest fishing dreams/goals is to deep drop for Swordfish with Nick Stanczyk (he's the consensus master of Swordfishing in the world, during the day) and he's out of Bud 'n Mary's Marina in Islamorada.

If I was there, I'd be in heaven! Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 06:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Trust me, one of my biggest fishing dreams/goals is to deep drop for Swordfish with Nick Stanczyk (he's the consensus master of Swordfishing in the world, during the day) and he's out of Bud 'n Mary's Marina in Islamorada.

If I was there, I'd be in heaven! Big Grin

https://www.rvonthego.com/florida/fiesta-key-rv-resort/?utm_source=yext&utm_medium=directory&utm_campaign=Yext%20Directory%20Listing

This is the place. Even mentions Bud ‘n Mary’s.

Most of the time we would filet and eat what we caught or freeze it for later. Because you couldn’t eat all you caught. But, I remember sometimes selling our catch to the fish market. I remember making $400/day. Not bad work if you can find it.

My wife is from Charleston, SC. I learned about this guy on a show I was watching that I’d like to charter if I have a chance.

https://www.benalderman.com/index.html

When I lived in NY we would fish for blues. Fun fact: they will vomit just to keep feeding.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capecodtimes.com/sports/20180516/blues-are-fun-to-catch-not-well-behaved%3ftemplate=ampart

A few years ago, we went fly fishing in Montana near Yellowstone. You’re not reeling them in as fast as fishing in the Keys, but with the scenery and nice weather it was special, too. And I was there for a conference so work chipped in $1500 for my trip.
Reply/Quote
What’s the water temp off Nova Scotia? And don’t give me that Celsius crap. I don’t want to convert. I remember in Maine it was 58F in June and warmed up to a balmy 62F by the end of August which was still cold as F.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 02:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Oh, I'm a brookie chaser. Pike and bass are fun and all, but this is my usual target.

I live in Brookie country and still haven't caught me one DAMMITT!
Reply/Quote
Great thread Truck, the best. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 03:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: So beautiful!

And I DESPERATELY want to go mircofishing for those same species (Chub as well, Shiners, etc.) but I have absolutely no places I know I can go (I just don't know, not that they don't exist). I have all the equipment as well, what should I look for location-wise, IYO?

So, I'm the weird guy that will fish any puddle or small stream I can find. In my car is a crate with everything I need to fly fish, including a tenkara rod and a seiryu rod (seiryu is where tenkara and microfishing meet), and also some tanago gear. I just happen to live somewhere that has tons of running water. I have spring fed streams EVERYWHERE. There is a stream that runs through my town called Blacks Run. It is a very urban waterway that runs under buildings, next to parking lots and decks, etc. It is not uncommon to find me sitting on the edge of that stream pulling out the micros that live in there. But, I also fish for micros in those same clear mountain streams.

This was my first microfish, a Blue Ridge sculpin:
[Image: eYFnUe8.jpg]

Caught it on a fly rod while fishing for brookies. If there is a stream with life in it, then fish it (if it's legal).

(08-23-2021, 10:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I live in Brookie country and still haven't caught me one DAMMITT!

That stream is one of the most densely populated native brook trout streams in the mid-Atlantic. It is below an impoundment so the water flow is pretty steady both in volume and temperature. And it's about 20 min from my house. I'm getting to know that stream inside and out, and it's wonderful. Don't get me wrong, I have a world famous spring creek about the same distance away that has some feisty browns in it, and I have a TU maintained spring creek that has some killer rainbow fishing. I also have the South Fork of the Shenandoah River which has some killer smallmouth fishing and on a good float I can land 100+ in a day. But mountain stream brook trout fishing is where my heart lies. I have streams to the west in the George Washington National Forest and streams to the east in the Shenandoah National Park. I know lots of people hype up the fishing out west, or they are big salt fans, but I feel like I live in a fishing Mecca.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 09:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What’s the water temp off Nova Scotia? And don’t give me that Celsius crap. I don’t want to convert. I remember in Maine it was 58F in June and warmed up to a balmy 62F by the end of August which was still cold as F.

lol it was 15.3 Celsius, which converts to 59.5 farenheit.

And yes, that was indeed considered, "warm," when I asked LOL

Those links were superb, thanks for that! Big Grin I now have some resources, if I ever choose to head to those places Wink

The grocery store I used to work at, used to bring in Bluefish from time to time; it's inexpensive, flaky texture and can be cooked in the same manner as the Cods/Haddock. I know they have wicked teeth, but I would definitely be up for catching some, around Montauk, NJ, Cape Cod, etc.

(08-23-2021, 10:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I live in Brookie country and still haven't caught me one DAMMITT!

You guys have Cutthroats and Bulls which we'll never get over here; our jealousy is much-more deserved Wink LOL

(08-24-2021, 07:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, I'm the weird guy that will fish any puddle or small stream I can find. In my car is a crate with everything I need to fly fish, including a tenkara rod and a seiryu rod (seiryu is where tenkara and microfishing meet), and also some tanago gear. I just happen to live somewhere that has tons of running water. I have spring fed streams EVERYWHERE. There is a stream that runs through my town called Blacks Run. It is a very urban waterway that runs under buildings, next to parking lots and decks, etc. It is not uncommon to find me sitting on the edge of that stream pulling out the micros that live in there. But, I also fish for micros in those same clear mountain streams.

This was my first microfish, a Blue Ridge sculpin:
[Image: eYFnUe8.jpg]

Caught it on a fly rod while fishing for brookies. If there is a stream with life in it, then fish it (if it's legal).

That stream is one of the most densely populated native brook trout streams in the mid-Atlantic. It is below an impoundment so the water flow is pretty steady both in volume and temperature. And it's about 20 min from my house. I'm getting to know that stream inside and out, and it's wonderful. Don't get me wrong, I have a world famous spring creek about the same distance away that has some feisty browns in it, and I have a TU maintained spring creek that has some killer rainbow fishing. I also have the South Fork of the Shenandoah River which has some killer smallmouth fishing and on a good float I can land 100+ in a day. But mountain stream brook trout fishing is where my heart lies. I have streams to the west in the George Washington National Forest and streams to the east in the Shenandoah National Park. I know lots of people hype up the fishing out west, or they are big salt fans, but I feel like I live in a fishing Mecca.

Trust me, I always carry my Micro gear in my car as well (pen rod, Ultralight spinning reel, couple of small lures and microhooks from Japan) and so many times, when I drive by a stream or pond like you mention, I'm so tempted to stop at the side of the road and just try for 10 minutes... but I've never done it.

My wife is going to be having a girls' weekend (bachelorette) in a few weeks and my parents are going to a cottage for the week (I should be joining them, but I need to work and watch the dog Sad), that same week, so after I'm done work, I should just go for a quick drive to some of said streams/ponds and just give it a shot! Thanks for the help, Matt :)

Last question though; should I use cut up worms (nightcrawlers) for bait or, "match the hatch," and use something like maggots or similarly-small creatures?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You guys have Cutthroats and Bulls which we'll never get over here; our jealousy is much-more deserved Wink LOL

Yeah, but if you're in brookie country you won't have cutthroats or bulls. They shouldn't ever cross paths. though sometimes you can find brook trout stocked out west. Those two species, specifically, aren't spread around like browns, rainbows, and brooks. There are places with native cutthroat where they have no creel limits on brooks because of the invasiveness of them in the watershed.

(08-24-2021, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Trust me, I always carry my Micro gear in my car as well (pen rod, Ultralight spinning reel, couple of small lures and microhooks from Japan) and so many times, when I drive by a stream or pond like you mention, I'm so tempted to stop at the side of the road and just try for 10 minutes... but I've never done it.

My wife is going to be having a girls' weekend (bachelorette) in a few weeks and my parents are going to a cottage for the week (I should be joining them, but I need to work and watch the dog Sad), that same week, so after I'm done work, I should just go for a quick drive to some of said streams/ponds and just give it a shot! Thanks for the help, Matt :)

Last question though; should I use cut up worms (nightcrawlers) for bait or, "match the hatch," and use something like maggots or similarly-small creatures?

When it comes to the true micros, I either use size 24 or smaller flies, tanago hooks with a little gluten bait, or tanagos with pieces of red wigglers on them.

Reply/Quote