Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of our Center Position
(05-17-2017, 03:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and even though Boling was a low rounder, he was touted as one of the best, if not the best, guard prospects in his class.  He was also projected as high as the second round by draftniks that year.

Yeah, lets not act like Boling was some unpolished, raw mid rounder that PA had to coach up into this top Guard.

Boling just needed to gain some muscle and physicality.

Similar to Westerman actually who i think could be a fine Guard especially with a better O-line coach.

Might never happen but i like to dream sometimes. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This franchise seems to have never valued the C position for the past 20 years.
Yep. They should go back and see which position Paul Brown drafted first. One would think Mikey should know better.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2017, 10:50 PM)Derrick Wrote: Yep. They should go back and see which position Paul Brown drafted first. One would think Mikey should know better.

A center has a very tough job. A bad one can cost you a QB!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Was a little nervous when Boling said in his interview "It's up to guys like me and Russell to lead the way."

Russell Bodine leading our line... that's a scary thought.
Reply/Quote
This is the problem with the habit of our current braintrust of badly undervaluing the interior line. Right now we have an awful Center, a RG that is a stopgap we don't even know will work and a LG who is average/a bit above average.

Meanwhile you look at the teams that are in there winning it all and/or going deep in the playoffs consistently, and they do place value on the interior line. People like to bring up the Alex Mack to Atlanta example and it is a valid one - they saw they had real issues on the inside and went out and fixed it and the effect on their offense was hugely positive.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 01:39 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Was a little nervous when Boling said in his interview "It's up to guys like me and Russell to lead the way."

Russell Bodine leading our line... that's a scary thought.

Bodine is not and idiot, he is just bad at pass protection, but you have a valid point.

I just hope he is somewhat solid this year and Dielman or an early draft pick take his place.

If we re-sign him i will be majorly pizzzzzed off!!!

He has no upside, the reason for drafting him in the first place was he was strong and smart. Nothing to do with talent.

(05-20-2017, 04:36 AM)Joelist Wrote: This is the problem with the habit of our current braintrust of badly undervaluing the interior line. Right now we have an awful Center, a RG that is a stopgap we don't even know will work and a LG who is average/a bit above average.

Meanwhile you look at the teams that are in there winning it all and/or going deep in the playoffs consistently, and they do place value on the interior line. People like to bring up the Alex Mack to Atlanta example and it is a valid one - they saw they had real issues on the inside and went out and fixed it and the effect on their offense was hugely positive.

The problem is Paul piano man Alexander...

And that MB does not value the Center position near enough. It is fine to draft mid to late rounders if your coach can coach them up...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting that you chose that specific stat.

Many people consider runs over 10 yards to be credited more to RBs than O-linemen.

Here are the Fooballoutsiders O-line rankings (based on "adjusted line yards") for the Bengals.

left outside ....30th
left tackle.......11th
middle............6th
right tackle.....11th
Right outside..28th

But those numbers take on a whole new meaning when you realize that a majority of all NFL runs (56%) are in the "middle" category.

Overall Footballoutsiders ranked our o-line right in the middle of the pack in run blocking.  They were 14th in Adjusted Line Yards, 15th in Stuffs, and 19th in Power Situations.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Middle of the pack sounds about right. I've said it before, i think a lot of holes were missed last year. Mostly by Hill. 

A bad running back can make a line look bad. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bodine is not and idiot, he is just bad at pass protection, but you have a valid point.

I just hope he is somewhat solid this year and Dielman or an early draft pick take his place.

If we re-sign him i will be majorly pizzzzzed off!!!

He has no upside, the reason for drafting him in the first place was he was strong and smart. Nothing to do with talent.

I always hoped Bodine would turn the corner, but he continually makes boneheaded mistakes like the low snaps, or completely missing his assignment.

He isn't as terrible as some on here portray him to be, but he is much like A Smith in that he has a brain fart here and there. Hope their brain farts don't line up on the same play this year lol could be disastrous.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 06:40 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I always hoped Bodine would turn the corner, but he continually makes boneheaded mistakes like the low snaps, or completely missing his assignment.

He isn't as terrible as some on here portray him to be, but he is much like A Smith in that he has a brain fart here and there. Hope their brain farts don't line up on the same play this year lol could be disastrous.

Yeah, hope not. We need our QB. Mellow
Reply/Quote
A center sets the tone of the line, he can cause the rest of the line to look good or bad. We need a strong center. I also agree that Westerman stay at R.G.
Reply/Quote
I know many hate Bodine and our OL. I look at our OL and see a lot of guys being developed over the last few years. Johnson is now a veteran back up who I am confident could step in and start at guard or center. Westerman is young, but a good prospect. My concern is the OT position, the starters are unproven and worse we have no back ups other than Winston and A. Smith.

I saw Bodine get better so I am not ready now to throw him into FA, I want to see if he gets better again in 2017 and then decide.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This franchise seems to have never valued the C position for the past 20 years.

Paul Brown's first draft pick was a center. It was the #2 or #3 overall. (I know that was more than 20 years ago.)
Reply/Quote