Poll: Should the Bengals build a new covered stadium?
This poll is closed.
Yes, much more comfortable
36.17%
17 36.17%
No, we're not wimps
63.83%
30 63.83%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoukd Bengals Build New Covered Stadium?
I know PBS is not very old. However, I think an indoor stadium would be much better in wet or cold weather. The Vikings built an awesome stadium. Is it time for Cincinnati to get with the times and build our own covered stadium? I've heard some rumblings about it recently. Or do you prefer the fan experience to be in the elements along with the team?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I wonder what it would cost to put a retractable cover on PBS? I prefer retractable over permanent like Indy or Chase Field in Arizona.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 11:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I wonder what it would cost to put a retractable cover on PBS? I prefer retractable over permanent like Indy or Chase Field in Arizona.

That's a good idea. Probably put it on Hamilton County taxpayers.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 11:21 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: That's a good idea. Probably put it on Hamilton County taxpayers.

Maybe split the cost?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 11:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I wonder what it would cost to put a retractable cover on PBS? I prefer retractable over permanent like Indy or Chase Field in Arizona.

I don't think that's architecturally feasible with the design of PBS.  It would need to be a whole new stadium.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No more snow games....no more pouring rain and "mud"....doesn't sound like football to me.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
No
Reply/Quote
Yes;  weather fans and the city like to hear it they should already be preparing for another stadium or a server rehabilitation of Paul Brown. The reason why you put a roof on it is so you can attract big time events to the place like a Superbowl, final four, WrestleMania. If you build it people will come.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
While you're at it why not just build a floating stadium on the Ohio river? Better yet, how about an underground stadium so to keep heating and cooling expenses down?  Or an airborne stadium suspended from giant helium balloons? The odds in the next 15 years are just about as good. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:33 AM)grampahol Wrote: While you're at it why not just build a floating stadium on the Ohio river? Better yet, how about an underground stadium so to keep heating and cooling expenses down?  Or an airborne stadium suspended from giant helium balloons? The odds in the next 15 years are just about as good. 

You know how incredibly loud that would be? It could be pretty awesome. I can only imagine after 60,000 enter it, it would get hella muggy though.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
While I prefer old time style football in the elements, I think a covered stadium is crucial for the longevity of the franchise in Cincinnati. A stadium with a retractable roof is preferred, of course.
Reply/Quote
Not happening unless Mike Brown holds Hamilton County taxpayers hostage and threatens to relocate team to San Diego or St. Louis when the PBS lease runs in a few years. Even then, I don't see the taxpayers in a hurry to line MB's pockets any more than they already have.
Reply/Quote
I truly feel the Bengals are on their last legs in Cincinnati unless they win a SB before 2026. Even then it may be over.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/18/the-staggering-taxpayer-costs-of-paul-brown-stadium/

Reply/Quote
I voted yes. When PBS was built, I was discussing the same idea with my father. I said "no way, dad, football is meant to be played in the elements". He argued the comfort, the quality of the games, and how many more events could be held there if a dome.

His last point was what sold me. He's right. You could have everything from Monster trucks, to concerts, to all kinds of sporting events year-round regardless of weather.

It also ends the debate of a practice bubble.

If it were to happen, it would be about 30 years from now, when the repair costs of the stadium would begin to mount and the pressure from all the other new stadiums by then would make ours stick out like a sore thumb.
Reply/Quote
I like the retractable roof idea like Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. From a fan standpoint, PBS can be very windy which sucks when its cold. In addition, the sun blinds everyone on the west side of the stadium during 1pm games, then those on the east side the last half of an afternoon game. I like it open if not for those 2 little distractions.

Reply/Quote
You know they are talking about replacing US Bank arena with a new venue. Why not make it accessible for football and other events? We could build an awesome stadium right next to GABP. Don't be surprised if Mike Brown thinks the same thing.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Dome?? Hell, I'm still hoping they rip up that sissy turf, and go back to a half-bare grass field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I kind of doubt it'll happen, but I've been wrong before. Yeah, I know..me WRONG EVER? Shocking, huh?
From a purely comfort standpoint I'd love to see it because my old ass is never EVER going to pay money to sit in the freezing cold even if they were giving away free sex with the cheerleaders.. and who would want sloppy 20,000s anyway?  
When the temperature dips below even 40 I'm done.. 
Of course I'm not a good barometer of who might buy a ticket being I've never bought one in my life except for one baseball game and they lost. 
I live out of town anyway and I'm strictly a TV fan so as far as I'm concerned they could play on the moon and it wouldn't change how I'd view games.. 
The one thing a lot of people just simply fail to realize is that these sports are owned and operated by private individuals and organizations so the profit stays among the ownership. With this in mind I'm opposed to tax dollars funding private enterprises that really only benefit a handful of billionaires.. They want a super exclusive comfy spot to watch a game that is only used 8 times a year? Let them pay for it out of their own pockets. Unless they plan to let the general public, including people who have no interest in football come and enjoy the benefits and comfort of stadiums then don't ask the public to pay for it. Still don't matter..I'm not a resident of the city nor the county.. I do have a tiny bit of skin in the game here in Columbia SC with the new stadium for the Mets A ball stadium, but it's about .0000000000001% if that..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 09:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dome??  Hell, I'm still hoping they rip up that sissy turf, and go back to a half-bare grass field.

Here here! When I was a kid we were lucky to play on weeds much less grass. Quite often we played on paved roads.. If my 15 year old ass could be tackled on asphalt then guys with padding and getting paid millions ought to at least be able to handle lush, green grass..lol

Reply/Quote
I love the idea of a retractable stadium to give us a chance to host the Superbowl.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote