Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I...
So last week I was contacted by a writer that is working on a book and would like me to help with technical stuff. He is writing about actual SEAL events during the Gulf War and other spots in the Middle East. My problem is this, this could be made into a movie and I don't Hollywood to f**K it up by making it out to be a "Gung-ho Cowboy" movie. In real life that is so far from the truth. So I am hesitant to do this, but the writer assures me that won't happen...
Reply/Quote
If you don't do it the movie will still get made. They will just pay someone other than you.
Reply/Quote
If it is a story that needs told, then help tell it.

If it doesn't, then don't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 12:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So last week I was contacted by a writer that is working on a book and would like me to help with technical stuff. He is writing about actual SEAL events during the Gulf War and other spots in the Middle East. My problem is this, this could be made into a movie and I don't Hollywood to f**K it up by making it out to be a "Gung-ho Cowboy" movie. In real life that is so far from the truth. So I am hesitant to do this, but the writer assures me that won't happen...

Well then who better to give them the real story than you....
Reply/Quote
Agree with everyone else. You should do it!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
May as well get paid and hope for the best my friend. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 12:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you don't do it the movie will still get made.  They will just pay someone other than you.

Yup.

Whatever you say is going to get altered by the writer, the editor and the publisher; if it's made into a movie, that's going to get altered again by another writer, more editors, a director, producers and then a screening audience. And if you don't want to happen and say nothing... it'll happen anyway and some other guy will cash that check.
Reply/Quote
I'd sit down with the guy in question to find out where exactly he plans for it to go . If it's intended to head towards a made for TV thing I wouldn't want my fingerprints anywhere near it, but on the other hand if it's going to be factual without the fluff that's a different story ..
There's still the possibility of a nice paycheck which can be tough to turn down.  I guess it greatly depends on your own priorities .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
If it’s a compilation of events I’m not sure it’s something that would get made into a movie. If it is, obviously they have to do things to create a story with drama and excitement. SEALs have been kind of a big thing in the last 15 years. I watched that 10 part series on BUDs and just shook my head at how ridiculous that is. Guys in supreme shape not lasting a day. You of course have to be strong and fit, but getting through that is all mental. Too bad most people don’t know the greatest one of all time. Thomas Magnum.

Edit: OK that was just a rambling paragraph of nothing. So my answer is I don’t know.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 08:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If it’s a compilation of events I’m not sure it’s something that would get made into a movie. If it is, obviously they have to do things to create a story with drama and excitement. SEALs have been kind of a big thing in the last 15 years.  I watched that 10 part series on BUDs and just shook my head at how ridiculous that is. Guys in supreme shape not lasting a day. You of course have to be strong and fit, but getting through that is all mental. Too bad most people don’t know the greatest one of all time. Thomas Magnum.

Edit:  OK that was just a rambling paragraph of nothing. So my answer is I don’t know.

Thanks everyone, I have decided to go ahead and do it. Now to add to my already busy schedule, I will be going to San Fran for 1 weekend a month for the next couple of months. 
Michealsean, you are not joking, the hardest part is the mental aspect. You pretty much have to put yourself in a coma to get thru it. Many of times I thought about "ringing the bell", but somehow trudged through it. I miss it,  being around my team. 
Reply/Quote
As a former squid myself i can categorically say reality is just a crutch for people who  can't handle drugs. Or at least that's what we were told on day one at Great Lakes when reveille came over the loud speaker telling us it was 49 below zero .. 
Did I mention how much fun marching in 49 below weather with 3 feet of snow on the ground was?  It kind of made me stop romantisizing the navy then and there.. lol

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2018, 01:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Thanks everyone, I have decided to go ahead and do it. Now to add to my already busy schedule, I will be going to San Fran for 1 weekend a month for the next couple of months. 
Michealsean, you are not joking, the hardest part is the mental aspect. You pretty much have to put yourself in a coma to get thru it. Many of times I thought about "ringing the bell", but somehow trudged through it. I miss it,  being around my team. 

My favorite part of the BUDs series is when an enlisted instructor would chew out a candidate who was an officer, and he's end the chewing out with "sir".  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I wish I had a dime for every "Yeah" push up I had to do.. I never was very good at addressing anyone smaller and younger than myself as sir.. maam or any of those salutations. It's just one of the  reasons i decided that self employment fit me much better.. 

Reply/Quote