Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
Should Jake Browning Prepare to Start?
On another thread about the Coaches’ Breakfast we read the following quote from Zac Taylor about Joe Burrow:

"Everything is encouraging and tracking well for the offseason program and we'll continue to give him space to rehab. Everything is going exactly the way we hoped it would go. We've always targeted this offseason program as a good time for him to be back out there with the guys."

The “space to rehab” phrase gives me enough pause to ask a question: Might it be best to have Jake Browning start the season? Jake proved himself late last season and I don’t see why he can’t win some early games while Joe gets back to 100%. We saw what Joe can do at less than 100% and, well, let’s just say it’s less than ideal. Finally, I’m concerned about Joe’s long term viability.

Now of course if Joe Burrow is 100% healed and his rehab is complete before the season starts then he should start; no question there. But, just in case, what about starting Jake?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Obviously at this point too early to know where Burrow will be when pre season rolls around, what we do know is Browning showed he is fully capable backup and can win under center 1st game regardless who we play
Reply/Quote
Browning should always be prepared to start.
Reply/Quote
Browning should always be prepared to start

Zac's comments are coach speak...how to use words to convey little or nor real information

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I’m sure Jake is ready. Once Burrow says he’s ready I would play him 4 weeks after that point.
Reply/Quote
i mean thats what a Backup QB does... Prepare to be the starter just in case So

YES!!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:44 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I’m sure Jake is ready. Once Burrow says he’s ready I would play him 4 weeks after that point.

Lol. x2!
Reply/Quote
As everyone is saying, yeah, Jake should be prepared to start. But from what I got from that is Burrow is ahead of schedule and
will be 100% by Training Camp and the Preseason. It said mid May in that coaches breakfast where Burrow should be ready to go
is what I thought I read, funny you left that part out FIK...
Reply/Quote
Somebody said after A J Green that Zac isn’t ever going to say much
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
It depends on how Burrow is feeling, but last year showed us that a 100% Browning is better than a 50% or so Burrow. The results are all that matters...I mean how many people even remember that Bubby Brister had to come in for Elway and went 5-0 during the Broncos' 1998 SB season? They only remember ol Horseteeth raising the Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It depends on how Burrow is feeling, but last year showed us that a 100% Browning is better than a 50% or so Burrow.  The results are all that matters...I mean how many people even remember that Bubby Brister had to come in for Elway and went 5-0 during the Broncos' 1998 SB season?  They only remember ol Horseteeth raising the Lombardi.

I don't remember that lol
Reply/Quote
All the space remark means is they aren't bugging him too hard while he is occupied by rehab. He also said Burrow is on track as expected so assume he'll be ready for training camp.
Reply/Quote
Obviously all of Bengals nation hopes Burrow is ready to go, yet that being said of course Jake should prepare to start just in case.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I’d trade Tee and Browning for Jefferson and our own third rounder
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 07:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Obviously all of Bengals nation hopes Burrow is ready to go, yet that being said of course Jake should prepare to start just in case.

Not a popular opinion but, Jake may be our number one this next year. Burrow's injuries are alarming and there is no reason to believe he will come back as a top quarterback. History (and biology) has proved that humans (elite athletes or not) are not indestructible.. I love the guy but he seems to be the Tyler Eifert of QBs. The Bengals might be wise to look ahead in the draft for QB help. Crazy as it may be I might draft a QB in early rounds. Let's hope Joe proves me wrong.
Reply/Quote
Jake should always be ready to start. Who starts the season will depend on Burrow's progress. I expect Joe to be ready to go. I expect Jake to be ready to go also. I expect Jake's girlfriend to up in her private box in her tight britches cheering them on.
Reply/Quote
Come May, if Burrow can't throw the ball, Browning better get ready to play more than Week 1.

I've already readied myself for this possibility. It's a very weird injury and after last year's calf tragedy, I'm not expecting too much.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 07:56 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Not a popular opinion but, Jake may be our number one this next year. Burrow's injuries are alarming and there is no reason to believe he will come back as a top quarterback. History (and biology) has proved that humans (elite athletes or not) are not indestructible.. I love the guy but he seems to be the Tyler Eifert of QBs. The Bengals might be wise to look ahead in the draft for QB help. Crazy as it may be I might draft a QB in early rounds. Let's hope Joe proves me wrong.

Yeah, let's hope so, damn. Mellow

About break my heart thinking about that shit.  Mellow

(03-25-2024, 08:10 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Jake should always be ready to start. Who starts the season will depend on Burrow's progress. I expect Joe to be ready to go. I expect Jake to be ready to go also. I expect Jake's girlfriend to up in her private box in her tight britches cheering them on.

Love Jake's girlfriend up in her private box... Ninja

(03-25-2024, 08:35 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Come May, if Burrow can't throw the ball, Browning better get ready to play more than Week 1.

I've already readied myself for this possibility.  It's a very weird injury and after last year's calf tragedy, I'm not expecting too much.

It is a weird injury, only heard of a basketball player coming back from it well. But if we are readying ourselves for failure, I don't find that
to be the way Joe Burrow is acting at all. He looks like he is going to come back and conquer the world this year from what I am seeing.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 07:56 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Not a popular opinion but, Jake may be our number one this next year. Burrow's injuries are alarming and there is no reason to believe he will come back as a top quarterback. History (and biology) has proved that humans (elite athletes or not) are not indestructible.. I love the guy but he seems to be the Tyler Eifert of QBs. The Bengals might be wise to look ahead in the draft for QB help. Crazy as it may be I might draft a QB in early rounds. Let's hope Joe proves me wrong.
This is my thought as well. Who knows if this last injury will mess up his accuracy or how soon he'll get injured again. Whoever keeps calling plays from the shotgun, be it Joe or Zac, needs to stop. I know they run it still from that formation, but you know the DL  is focused more on the pass rush in that situation. They need to keep the D guessing with their formations. I don't know the breakdown but last year's game in SF was what I considered our best offensive performance of the year and I believe the O went under center more. 
Reply/Quote
It's tough, in March no less, to even be thinking that Joe cant start the season, but if that's the case, the team's in good hands with Jake.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote