Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should LaFell be re-signed?
No, he doesn't get much seperation. Only plays well against bad teams. No deep threat. Dont have good hands. Easily replacable. Id even say cody core is more talented.
Reply/Quote
I would offer him a decent contract, but look at other FA's. He did ok with a bad offensive line.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Like everyone else, I would say yes. He's a very good blocker along with being a solid receiver.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, bring him back. Doesn't matter what FA's are available, LaFell has begun to show chemistry with Dalton that wasn't there at the beginning of the season. That chemistry will carry over to next year, rather than trying to bring in another veteran and starting over. LaFell did his job, and did it well, there is no reason to move on from him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 05:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno, who is available on the WR FA market?  Overall, I'm pleased with him, but if there's a burner available, why not?

x2

I wanted LaFell as stopgap and he's done a fine job. I wouldn't mind having him back on a 1-2 year deal with a modest raise, but if we can upgrade...why not?

(12-20-2016, 05:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Don't think it has to be an either or situation. He is on a very affordable contract for even a #4 WR.

I just don't think this is feasible for several reasons.

1. LaFell has proven again that he's a capable #2. Why would he stay somewhere as a #4? Or even as a #3? There's always some team that could use a LaFell.

2. He's going to make more than 2.5 million on his next deal. Probably not a lot more, but more for sure. We got him at a discount due to uncertainty surrounding his injury and corresponding lack of production last year. I don't think say...4 million is a good investment for a #4 WR.

Now if you could get LaFell to stay on at close to his current price with no guarantees that he gets a prominent role, that'd be great, but I don't see that happening. Personally I'd let LaFell walk if we can find someone like Torrey Smith (younger, faster). If not, LaFell is a solid fall back option.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
YES! Guy is a gamer and he's not going to cost all that much.

Reply/Quote
Absolutely
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
Depends. I'd like if we brought in an explosive WR in FA (I think I saw Garcon was an option) then we should probably let LaFell find another team. However, if we don't bring any other FA WRs then we should probably keep him around.

Regardless, we really need a deep threat opposite of Green so we can force at least two DBs playing deep at all times.
Reply/Quote
Only if the price is right. Otherwise I'm fine going with the younger guys (Boyd, Wright, Core, Erickson) and hoping AJ & Eifert can both stay healthy and actually play a full season.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:49 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'm thinking that it'd be a really good idea to keep him around unless another team offers a staggering amount of money.  Dalton has had so many of his receiving threats and coordinators sniped, so having that continuity would be good.  
I agree with all of this including UNLESS ANOTHER TEAM OFFERS A STAGGERING AMOUNT OF MONEY. ...He is starting to look better to me than Jones or Sanu.  He is very good at getting both feet down on sidelines catches, but he is also good crossing over the middle of field and he is getting into the end zone more. ....CONTINUITY......good word. Dalton is starting to get some timing down to him. ...He is starting to remind me of when Bengals had Issac Curtis and traded Paul Robinson for Hall Of Fame Charlie Joiner.  A bad team became a good team fast with Curtis, Joiner and Trumpy.  Then they kind of blew it by later trading Joiner for Coy Bacon who Bengals would trade 2 years later with Lemar Parrish for a draft pick of far less talent than Robinson, Joiner, Bacon or Parrish. .....The reason I compare him to Joiner is LaFell has some very athletic skills that would team up great with AJ Green and Eifert.  If Boyd comes along, we have a monster passing attack.  ......Dalton getting timing and routes down with Lafell, Boyd, Wright, Core and Erickson could pay-off huge in 2017 Super Bowl Goal.  Instead of clunkers like Baby Hawk, actual pass catchers to go with AJ Green 

Plan B is to lose LaFell and draft a WR in Round One to go with AJ Green and Eifert and Boyd....but the problem is there are no AJ Green or Collinsworth types in this draft. Mike Williams would be great if not for that life threatening neck injury and that neck is a worry in the hard hitting NFL. The idea of him trying to catch over the middle getting blown up is not good. Looking at the WR's in the draft and our draft needs in other areas and all the first round draft talent this year at linebacker, I say KEEP LaFell if we can. LaFell is showing NFL athletic skills far above what is out there in this years college draft. I also look for Boyd to become a top NFL WR. Not a rookie sensation like AJ Green, he was a draft pick to develop into a solid veteran as he is coached up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
He's played very well. I'm definitely for signing him to a 1-2 year deal.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not. That money needs to be spent on Dre and possibly Zeitler. I want to see Cody Core in that role and they need another speed option from the draft. Lafell is a solid #2, but with the TEs on this roster (if they ever decide to use them), Boyd, and AJ, they don't need Lafell. Cody Core is the starting outside WR next year across from AJ with Boyd in the slot.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's proven to be a dependable, consistent WR2 and a great bargain at $2.5 mill this year. The real question is, "What should the Bengals be willing to pay to retain him?"

It wouldn't make sense on his part to accept $2.5 million again unless he gets no better offers the first few weeks of FA.
LaFell is just as productive as Sanu, who received $6.5 million last offseason. However, LaFell is 30 years old whereas Sanu is in the prime of his career.

1-2 years at $5 mill per would probably be the max I would say is worth it. I think $4 mill a year would be fair and team-friendly.

Then draft a mid-round WR with speed that can be used as more of a deep threat in the first year or two with the plan to develop him as a WR2/3 by his third year.

That is my point.  Would you sign him for that if it costs you Zeitler?  For me, the answer is no way.  
Reply/Quote
You people are really over rating Cody Core the way you over rated Baby Hawk.....

Now, on Kirky and Zeitler......I have bad news for you on Kirky.....Mike Brown has tipped his poker hand in drafting Dennard and Jackson First Round and NOT RE-SIGNING Kirky....Color him gone........Now why Mike Brown didn't resign Zeitler before free agency is more of the enigma that is Mike Brown. Then again, this is the same Mike Brown who let guard Max Montoya go free agent as Mike Brown said, and I quote, " WHY SHOULD I PAY A GUARD ? ".....The Bengals do have a franchise tag to use on Zeitler or Whitworth.  That means one will be a free agent.  You can probably color Peko gone as well who becomes a free agent. ......and if some team offers LaFell big money, Mike Brown will pucker shut and not pay him.

In the end one Franchise tag to use on either Whitworth or Zeitler......So we probably lose a lot of talent, AGAIN....but let's not act like Cody Core is Lynn Swann or Jerry Rice.  It would be best if we could keep some of these players including LaFell, but here is the HUGE, HUGE problem.  Some of these guys should have been resigned BEFORE they hit the free agents waters.  The Bengals who just lost Nelson, Hall, Jones, Sanu, Andre Smith are about ready to also lose Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Whitworth, Peko, LaFell.....What Mike Brown is doing is a real question. ....Please Fans, Do Not be so worried about Mike Browns bank account. He has gone cheap enough many times to be richer than you will ever be.  If we lose this many players in 2 years time, our 5 straight years play-off team may be going more in the direction of the Cleveland Browns than Super Bowl, thanks to Mike Brown, the creator of the 1990's era of losing.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Hes played ok for a number 2. Put up the same numbers as MJ or Sanu. I wouldn't break the bank to keep him though.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 04:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He has 51 catches for 665 yards and 5 TD's. 
Had at least 3 catches in 10 of the 14 games.
Has 3rd highest catch % of his career.
He's remained healthy and played every game. 

So, would you like to see him brought back, or would you rather go another route?

What would a smart team do? I'd say bring him back.

Expect the opposite. With that production we may have to pay him some money so the typical Bengal first reaction is that ther has to be a cheaper alternative.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 10:08 AM)kevin Wrote: Then again, this is the same Mike Brown who let guard Max Montoya go free agent as Mike Brown said, and I quote, " WHY SHOULD I PAY A GUARD ? "

This is also the same Mike Brown who paid Bobbie williams and Clint Boling very well.

(12-21-2016, 10:08 AM)kevin Wrote:   Some of these guys should have been resigned BEFORE they hit the free agents waters.  The Bengals who just lost Nelson, Hall, Jones, Sanu, Andre Smith are about ready to also lose Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Whitworth, Peko, LaFell.....What Mike Brown is doing is a real question. ....Please Fans, Do Not be so worried about Mike Browns bank account. He has gone cheap enough many times to be richer than you will ever be.  If we lose this many players in 2 years time, our 5 straight years play-off team may be going more in the direction of the Cleveland Browns than Super Bowl, thanks to Mike Brown, the creator of the 1990's era of losing.

The last two years the Bengals have spent over the league salary cap.  You keep crying about the Bengals not signing more players, but the fact is that it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to re-sign all of those players.
Reply/Quote
I'd see what's available on the market, but I'm guessing we'll hang onto LaFell. Sign him to a 2 year deal with all of the guaranteed money in year 1. If Boyd/Core/Other show themselves as a capable #2, then you can release him in year 2.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 04:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He has 51 catches for 665 yards and 5 TD's. 
Had at least 3 catches in 10 of the 14 games.
Has 3rd highest catch % of his career.
He's remained healthy and played every game. 

So, would you like to see him brought back, or would you rather go another route?

Would definately bring back Lafell. He played as well as could be expected in his first year with a new QB, new
OC, and an O-line that didn't give the QB much time to get him the ball. Dude did everything he could for the
team.
Reply/Quote