Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should The Players Be Asked About The Next HC?
I know you can't give the players all the power, but do you think the players should at least be asked about a coach that the franchise wants to hire or give their opinions on who to bring in?

If they bring in a guy that the players don't even respect or value, will they even play as hard or be as motivated?

If they think a guy's a horrible coach, will they buy into his schemes and philosophies?

Some people might think "they're pros, they play hard regardless," but there's a difference between playing hard because you have to and playing hard because you're motivated and don't want to let the coach or your teammates down.

Some of you might be thinking "the next head coach can't be worse than Marvin and has to be a better motivator," but I don't want "just better," because I want a guy that's going to come in and lead the team to the next level.

Should the players' opinions be considered?

I also realize that a coach the players want might not come here, but getting someone that the players want would have them excited going into the offseason and hopefully the entire regular season.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?
Reply/Quote
Nope

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Yeah ask everyone nicely
Reply/Quote
Sort of.

They should make a collaborative list of who they definitely don't want. People they will (hopefully) mutiny over if hired as head coach (*ahem* Paul Alexander)
Reply/Quote
What is this, a PTA meeting? Absolutely not! Play hard, play to win or GTFO!

[Image: 8e7f9c0b4798bc9347a989ed660ad243.gif]

Reply/Quote
Only Dalton
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
To everyone that says no, you don’t think having a coach the players did or didn’t believe in would affect their play?

A big problem with Marvin is he’s not a motivator, which we all complain about, so none of you want someone that can motivate the players and that they’ll follow?
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 11:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: To everyone that says no, you don’t think having a coach the players did or didn’t believe in would affect their play?

A big problem with Marvin is he’s not a motivator, which we all complain about, so none of you want someone that can motivate the players and that they’ll follow?

Trust me Brad. I know where your coming from. With a team such as ours, which has been a disappointment over and over again and destroyed many livers, I think that direction is wrong. Good players are motivated by themselves, the team, and the bench. Good coaches reinforce those 3. Marvin is a good example of what happens when coaches try to be your friend and cheerleader. Billy B is a good example of what a disciplined coach gets out of his players. 

Reply/Quote
Stick to asking them if they want meatloaf or ham for lunch...*

*and yes Mike Brown will charge them regardless what their choice is, nothing is for free in the Brown Zone!
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 11:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Trust me Brad. I know where your coming from. With a team such as ours, which has been a disappointment over and over again and destroyed many livers, I think that direction is wrong. Good players are motivated by themselves, the team, and the bench. Good coaches reinforce those 3. Marvin is a good example of what happens when coaches try to be your friend and cheerleader. Billy B is a good example of what a disciplined coach gets out of his players. 

Not only motivation, but the players need to believe that a coach knows what he's doing.

If a player comes to work believing in the plan and believing in the guy calling the shots, then they prepare better, whether it's direct motivation or not.  

Motivation or not, if a player leaves practice inspired and comes to a game believing in a coach and inspired by him, he plays a lot better.

It also brings the players together better as a team if they're all believing in the coach and just wanting to play hard.

I think overlooking all of that is one area that Mike Brown has been wrong in.  Mike looks at this as the cheapest way to put a team on the field and play football, but he doesn't look at the finer points and realize the entire atmosphere and football life.

There's a reason some coaches consistently have players that are disciplined, do their jobs, and play hard.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 10:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Should the players' opinions be considered?

The opinions of the players weren't taken into consideration when they were voiced at various points during the past 26 years, so what's different now?  
Reply/Quote
If Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers is your QB...yes, you get their blessing. There is nobody on this team with the legacy or performance to have that level of input.

Maybe Geno, and I don't see him to be the type to have much of an opinion on it
Reply/Quote
I don't mind asking the superstars such as Atkins and AJ Green but outside of those two players, No.

I think elite players earn the right to at least provide feedback to the front office about things such as choosing a coach....it doesn't mean the FO has to listen but give them the platform to give their two cents.
Reply/Quote
No way. You don’t let the inmates run the prison.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
just not how the world works. A solid no.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:44 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: just not how the world works. A solid no.

You don't think NBA superstars like LeBron or Harden have a say in choosing a coach or going after a certain free agents?!

Whether you agree with it is a different argument but it's quite obvious that in other sports the elite players have input. I don't see why NFL players shouldn't.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 03:38 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: You don't think NBA superstars like LeBron or Harden have a say in choosing a coach or going after a certain free agents?!

Whether you agree with it is a different argument but it's quite obvious that in other sports the elite players have input. I don't see why NFL players shouldn't.

Seems like a slippery slope. Most players would probably want another players coach like Marvin. No thanks.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 03:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Seems like a slippery slope. Most players would probably want another players coach like Marvin. No thanks.

Disagree.

Marvin's a player's coach, but he's also an idiot.

NFL players want someone who's going to come in, have direction, and demand excellence because who wants to give 100% if the same isn't being demanded out of the man next to you?         

They're going to want someone they can talk to, but, overall, they want foots in asses.
Reply/Quote
NO

Reply/Quote
Absolutely not. Does the military assign commanders based on the soldiers' input?
Reply/Quote