Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB?
I'm going to go ahead and say that I would not be comfortable with either Trevor Siemian or Jack Browning having to steer the ship for more than a series or two in regular season action. Browning looks to have some steady in him to be developed, as he seemed to elevate TE Tanner Hudson when plays began to break down. Browning looks to be worth keeping around and continuing his development.

Trevor Siemian on the other hand looked really lost and flustered, especially when you consider that he's got 8 years of experience, including 30 starts. Not only did he look "lost" at times, I questioned what appeared to be a lack of effort. Many of us seemed comfortable with him as backup QB when he was signed, but now I'm not so sure that he's the guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Someone mentioned Wentz. Js he beyond repair or worth considering?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
The coaches must be comfy with these guys if they settled on them.

I'm not, and I'd be looking around. Siemien looked way worse than I imagined. Like, should probably be out of the league bad.

Browning looks athletic, but not particularly decisive (even though he made good decisions), and has a weird throwing motion. He's a project.

Not a good look for a preseason game with vanilla defense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm going to go ahead and say that I would not be comfortable with either Trevor Siemian or Jack Browning having to steer the ship for more than a series or two in regular season action.  Browning looks to have some steady in him to be developed, as he seemed to elevate TE Tanner Hudson when plays began to break down.  Browning looks to be worth keeping around and continuing his development.

Trevor Siemian on the other hand looked really lost and flustered, especially when you consider that he's got 8 years of experience, including 30 starts.  Not only did he look "lost" at times, I questioned what appeared to be a lack of effort.  Many of us seemed comfortable with him as backup QB when he was signed, but now I'm not so sure that he's the guy.

Was really surprised that Browning got the start over Siemian and how bad Siemian looked.

Yes, I would be looking around after that game for a backup QB. They were so inaccurate I couldn't believe it.

Man, if I was a backup QB in the league I would be working my ass off to be as accurate as possible. I just don't understand being 
that bad at your job. Hit the dude in the numbers. The one pass where Browning threw way high over Shed Jackson was inexcusable.

Give the guy a chance. You aren't throwing to a 16 foot giant, he deserved that Interception.
Reply/Quote
Out of the two, I thought Trevor seemed to have the most poise and Browning looked the most lost. I wouldn’t be comfortable with either of them right now, though. We’ll have to see how things look this coming week. I doubt Cincinnati is going to make a move unless there is a surprise release.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we're going to make any moves, so we may as well file this under "In Zac we trust" and/or "It's only preseason, did know the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason?"

(08-13-2023, 01:51 PM)SladeX Wrote: Someone mentioned Wentz. Js he beyond repair or worth considering?

We have a franchise guy, so I don't think we're a team looking for a reclamation project QB to sit behind him.  Wentz is probably going to wait until some team that is reasonably competitive loses a starter and panic signs him.  Wentz also has a reputation of being a pain in the arse, so I don't think he's worth brining in if we're playing the good locker room cards.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about shopping.

I'd say Browning is locked in as #2 to start the year. But I don't see him getting claimed. So we could cut him and carry him on the practice squad.

I think we should make a claim on cut down day. And try our luck carrying someone new. There has to be a better option out there. I'm sure a lot of teams are planning on sticking their 3rd QB on their practice squad. I can't imagine too many backup QB groups are worse than ours.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 03:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think we're going to make any moves, so we may as well file this under "In Zac we trust" and/or "It's only preseason, did know the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason?"

We have a franchise guy, so I don't think we're a team looking for a reclamation project QB to sit behind him.  Wentz is probably going to wait until some team that is reasonably competitive loses a starter and panic signs him.  Wentz also has a reputation of being a pain in the arse, so I don't think he's worth brining in if we're playing the good locker room cards.

I did know that.  They were something like 7-9 or 8-8 the year before, so we thought they were this close to being a playoff contender.  Well, live and learn.  

As to the backup QB situation, meh, let's see how they paly in Hotlanta after another week of practice.  Or something.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 03:56 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I did know that.  They were something like 7-9 or 8-8 the year before, so we thought they were this close to being a playoff contender.  Well, live and learn.  

As to the backup QB situation, meh, let's see how they paly in Hotlanta after another week of practice.  Or something.  

I was mostly joking about how "it's only the preseason" seems to apply to everyone except backup QBs.  I don't think we are all that good at backup QB, but we're a bit SOL, it seems.  We can monitor the waiver wire, but I don't know we let Brandon Allen go.  If we're going to have a middling backup QB we may as well hang on to a guy who knows the system.
Reply/Quote

I saw this little houdini clip earlier and was like this might need to be our backup preseason QB.

But I really don't see them doing anything at backup QB outside of maybe swiping someone from another teams practice squad. I think the protection and QB play could see drastic improvement this next game. Although I still think neither of them offer anything special and would like to upgrade. Just may need to happen in the draft.
Reply/Quote
If the backup QB is playing in the regular season with other backups, it will be because we are blowing a team out.

The backups would probably look better with our starting rotation.

Were they good on Friday? No… but I don’t think they ran their regular season offense.

It’s the preseason. Zach doesn’t play to win these games, which I thinks blows people’s minds. But I guess congratulations are due to the Ravens that have now won 24 preseason games in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm going to go ahead and say that I would not be comfortable with either Trevor Siemian or Jack Browning having to steer the ship for more than a series or two in regular season action.  Browning looks to have some steady in him to be developed, as he seemed to elevate TE Tanner Hudson when plays began to break down.  Browning looks to be worth keeping around and continuing his development.

Trevor Siemian on the other hand looked really lost and flustered, especially when you consider that he's got 8 years of experience, including 30 starts.  Not only did he look "lost" at times, I questioned what appeared to be a lack of effort.  Many of us seemed comfortable with him as backup QB when he was signed, but now I'm not so sure that he's the guy.

New system, one game and no starters., Sieman or Browning will be better especially with starters
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 04:14 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote:
I saw this little houdini clip earlier and was like this might need to be our backup preseason QB.

But I really don't see them doing anything at backup QB outside of maybe swiping someone from another teams practice squad. I think the protection and QB play could see drastic improvement this next game. Although I still think neither of them offer anything special and would like to upgrade. Just may need to happen in the draft.

What is that guys name, Roark or something?

Was an impressive Houdini act that is for sure...

I bet our backups look a lot better this next game. I saw this with a lot of teams over the weekend where one team was clearly not 
ready to play yet. That was us against Green Bay.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 04:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: New system, one game and no starters., Sieman or Browning will be better especially with starters

Yea, I will with-hold my judgment until at least the end of preseason game 2.  
Reply/Quote
Yes but i don’t see the reason. Baker and Bridgewater were the only guys i wanted but Baker was too expensive and Teddy just didn’t wanna come here.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

I wouldn't mind taking a look at a vet like Wentz or Ryan.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 05:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: I wouldn't mind taking a look at a vet like Wentz or Ryan.

90% of the teams with a top QB don’t have a good backup. Those teams w/o a top 10 or so QB do.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Good backups cost money. They got Semien for around $1 million. Brandon Allen was always cheap too.
Reply/Quote
Yup, they should!

On one hand I have long considered the backup qb to be the most overrated position in the game. If your big dog gets hurt for the year, you're toast anyway. Might as well close the shop and prep for the draft. This is even more true for a diehard like Burrow, who won't sit out unless he's crippled. Let's just say I don't expect the Lamar Jackson fiasco to play out in Cincy anytime soon. Wink

On the other, it might be a good idea to hedge for those very few injuries that would force him to sit out without necessarily being season-enders. And by "very few" I could mean just one: the collarbone. In the event that Joey snaps his clavicle in, say, early October, we'll need someone to keep the train on the tracks for the six weeks he needs to come back. For that reason we owe it to the team to find a safety net. I'm not thinking young bucks with something to prove. I'm looking more at vets who've done it before; in a perfect world, guys who could help Joe manage situations both on and off the field. Siemian and Browning are obviously not in that category. They offer the Bengals nothing other than a chaperone to take snaps in blowouts.

Long story short, maybe someone like Matty Ice. But that's just me.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what kind of contract Nick Foles is looking for ?

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote