Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB?
Let me see Trevor Siemian run the first team offense with all ten starters. Then I can tell.

If Siemian cannot move the Cincinnati starting offense then yes, it’s time to look elsewhere and fast.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 04:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let me see Trevor Siemian run the first team offense with all ten starters.  Then I can tell.

If Siemian cannot move the Cincinnati starting offense then yes, it’s time to look elsewhere and fast.

The only way we see that is if Burrow misses week 1 of the regular season.  I won't say that's too late to look for a backup QB, but I just don't think we're in the market for one.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 05:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The only way we see that is if Burrow misses week 1 of the regular season.  I won't say that's too late to look for a backup QB, but I just don't think we're in the market for one.

You’re right; I don’t sense any urgency from the Front Office which leads me to believe either (1) Joe Burrow is recovering ahead of schedule or (2) Zac Taylor has sufficient confidence in Trevor Siemian to successfully run most of Joe’s playbook. Ja’Marr Chase has said he hopes Joe misses Week One. This is huge because it makes me believe Ja’Marr has caught passes from Trevor in practice. There’s a lot going on inside that new practice bubble we don’t know.
Reply/Quote
When we lost with Andy it was "The Ultimate Team Game". Now we "can't win" without JB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's my opinion that the Bengals should always be looking to upgrade any position.

It's the pro's, if there is a better option that fits then let them move aside.

That being said, not sure if there are much better options available the fits at this point.

But one could come available when the final cuts are made.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 06:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When we lost with Andy it was "The Ultimate Team Game". Now we "can't win" without JB.

I’m of the opinion this team IS good enough to win most games without Joe Burrow. It is most definitely easier to win games WITH Burrow under center but games without him playing should not be considered automatic losses.

First of all, the Bengals CAN run the ball if necessary. Next, Cincinnati has one of the best second half defenses in the league. Finally, the receiving corps is talented enough to get sufficient separation such that even Trevor Siemian can complete most passes.

Let’s get Burrow back — but not until he’s 100% healthy.
Reply/Quote
Don't believe most folks think the Bengals can't win without JB. They're loaded.

But do think most fans are thinking win Championships and SB's in lieu of just games these days.

JB is a big reason folks feel that way. Hopefully come playoff time he remains healthy.

yet still say the Bengals defense will be stellar and will certainly give the team a chance if God forbid Joe went down.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I actually wanted us to go after Taylor Heinicke after seeing him play locally for Washington.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Trey Lance is third on the SF depth chart. I’d see what it might take to get him.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Yes, trade for Garnder Minshew
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
A name that's been brought up with some media members has been former backup Brandon Allen. Dehner has talked with the 49ers Athletic writer and he believes that Allen will be cut. 

If Allen does, in fact, get cut, I could see the team make a push to sign him and sign Browning, or someone else to the PS.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 02:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Ravens, exactly.  They made the playoffs and damn near beat us with a backup QB.  I'm not expecting anyone to come in and Nick Foles us into a SB win, but we supposedly have the top WR corps and an elite coaching staff, so I'm not willing to just say "Lose 'em all!" the second we lose Burrow, as crappy as that would be.

Burrow is the top man sure, but this team has too much talent and coaching to just give up without him, right?  Imagine the universe where Burrow goes down during an MVP season and Carson Wentz comes off the bench to be the Foles to Burrow's Wentz.  I've just sat through too many "playing for a draft pick" seasons to do so at this moment. 

speaking of nick foles where he at lol
Reply/Quote
I know Matt Ryan is older at this point, and probably not interested in a backup role. However the one thing he doesn’t have is a SB ring. I wonder if a guy like that would be interested in playing a backup role for a contending team? It could be his transition from QB to coach, if he is interested in that. If our line is good and we needed him, I think he could be valuable as a spot starter.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 09:14 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Trey Lance is third on the SF depth chart. I’d see what it might take to get him.

Hell, no. 

He makes $9.3 mil this year and $10.8 next year and costs a ton to cut. Too expensive. He's was a huge reach & now is a bust. Plus, they will want to recoup draft picks to get him. 

Now, if he is waived & comes for free and cheaper, then maybe. But I think Allen is a better choice. 
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 09:15 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I know Matt Ryan is older at this point, and probably not interested in a backup role. However the one thing he doesn’t have is a SB ring. I wonder if a guy like that would be interested in playing a backup role for a contending team? It could be his transition from QB to coach, if he is interested in that. If our line is good and we needed him, I think he could be valuable as a spot starter.

He’s too old to be at camp and hang with us all season

He’d be a guy we signed out of desperation
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 09:15 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I know Matt Ryan is older at this point, and probably not interested in a backup role.  However the one thing he doesn’t have is a SB ring.  I wonder if a guy like that would be interested in playing a backup role for a contending team?  It could be his transition from QB to coach, if he is interested in that.  If our line is good and we needed him, I think he could be valuable as a spot starter.

I think that Ryan would be interested if Joe went down for the season. Otherwise, I don't think he is going to be interested in going through the grind of an NFL season just to sit on the bench. He would be leaving his comfy analyst gig to do so where he is likely being paid several million dollars, plus he is receiving $12MM this year from his guarantees with the Colts. 
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 09:15 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I know Matt Ryan is older at this point, and probably not interested in a backup role.  However the one thing he doesn’t have is a SB ring.  I wonder if a guy like that would be interested in playing a backup role for a contending team?  It could be his transition from QB to coach, if he is interested in that.  If our line is good and we needed him, I think he could be valuable as a spot starter.

Colts are paying Ryan $12M to go away, and you're ready to suit him up?  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 10:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Colts are paying Ryan $12M to go away, and you're ready to suit him up?  Mellow

Suit him up? I guess he would wear a uniform. I just think that he could be better to do what Henne did for the chiefs last year than anyone currently on the bengals. Come off the bench and orchestrate a 90+ yard TD drive in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 09:20 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hell, no. 

He makes $9.3 mil this year and $10.8 next year and costs a ton to cut. Too expensive. He's was a huge reach & now is a bust. Plus, they will want to recoup draft picks to get him. 

Now, if he is waived & comes for free and cheaper, then maybe. But I think Allen is a better choice. 

He’s only started what, 1 NFL game? Cannot be classified as a bust. Not yet

Of course I know the Bengals won’t take on that salary. But if SFO absorbed a lot of it and we only had to toss some low picks, yeah. I do it.

And I’m amazed people want Brandon Allen back. He’s worse than what we have.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 11:25 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He’s only started what, 1 NFL game? Cannot be classified as a bust. Not yet

Of course I know the Bengals won’t take on that salary. But if SFO absorbed a lot of it and we only had to toss some low picks, yeah. I do it.

And I’m amazed people want Brandon Allen back. He’s worse than what we have.

I think that his record as a starter was 2-2, so definitely more than one (1) start.  The fact that this is his 3rd year and he can't break through to be THE starter is what people are basing him as a bust for.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote